Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True colors of G+B

kojax

Practically Family
thank you it looks real nice......is the leather heavy i am thinking of getting a seal brown hh or a vintage goatskin.....i think u.s. mfg makes a nice jacket..........enjoy your jacket go pats i live in boston mass

grunt56

New in Town
It's much heavier than any of several goatskin A-2's I've handled but we're talking Cooper and US Wings here. To tell the truth, I've only seen one other horsehide, that was a Flightsuits, and this one 'feels' heavier by a good 10-15%. In the world of leather I'd say it was squarely in between middle and heavyweight.

ldmax

Familiar Face
Wow! That looks really nice. The seal brown horsehide I had from them was much darker, virtually black. Yours looks similar to my vintage goat, slightly darker. Here is mine:
newjacket009yg1.jpg

Tony.

grunt56

New in Town
Hey Tony, Thanks for the pic of the VG, I think thats the goatskin I'll get when I go for one. The horse is a very even dark brown, I'll try to get a better pic in outdoor natural light.

kojax

Practically Family
nice jackets i like them both .....big choice for me either a2 horsehide or the vintage goatskin....i have that feeling the hh is going to be to heavy for me i am a size 38..............thank you people

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
The time I went over in person to get my jacket, I had no problem communicating with [Shaul of US-A]: he speaks perfect English. I think it's more that he is harried and/or not paying attention rather than a language issue.
Aha, a fellow ADD patient. ;) I understand now.

Another thing I notice with people in the tailoring/apparel construction line: they're visual, tactile, and spatial thinkers, but almost always they are NOT verbal thinkers. The craft doesn't train that ability.

Also, non-verbal thinkers don't ask questions. They hear/read your request, get an immediate visual picture, and go with it even if it's not what you meant. Other possible meanings are lost on them.

grunt56

New in Town
Fletch, As a fledging A-2 enthusiast, and no offense to you, I'd like to throw my two cents in. Many people go into business because of a need to call the shots. Its tough to cover all the bases and you never know how much someone is spread out from being on the outside looking in. I had the impression Shaul could use an associate to handle the phones and be real patient with us ignorant customers but at the same time I appreciate someone who knows his work. Maybe Shaul doesn't have a trusted associate to share the workload or maybe if he did, the price of his product would go up. Bottom line for me was it's a good jacket for the money. And it's kinda fun dealing with someone who's not totally PC. I'll miss them when they're all gone!

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Grunt56 thats the seal brown horse hide?!?! wow the samples of the seal horse hide that Shaul sent me were alot darker than your photo. it looks closer to the vintage HH sample that i have. that is a very nice jacket!
Tom

Tommydean

Familiar Face
OK guys i finally had a look at a US/A russet HH at a militaria show today for the first time and the gent said he bought it five months ago. it looked nice, alot better than i thought it would. wow the US/A's look very tought.
now its.. what color seal brown or russet:eusa_doh:
Tom

Tommydean

Familiar Face
Well...i got some HH samples from Aero yesterday and i have to say i was a bit let down by what i saw. the only sample that looked like any of the A-2's
on there web site was the oil pulled HH. it was the only one that looked good and that it did! next was the smooth HH russet/seal nice and thick and as thick as the US/A samples i have, also the smooth HH had nice feel and look to it. the one that disapointed me the most was the seal jerky. it had a glossy
finish to it kinda like the US/A samples i have except the sample is not the same color all the way through the hide. the hide is a natural tan color on the back, it would seem that it would chip of after some time and expose the lighter color. it seems that ordering a jacket unseen is a hit and miss as far
as what i see on the web sites and what i would get.
if anybody could help.. thanks
Tom

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy