Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tucking your shirt in?

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
When did tucking your blouse into your shirt come back into style?
I've seen a lot of outfits lately where the skirts are high waisted, even coming up to right under the bust line, with blouses tucked into them. I'm excited that it is back in style, because it's flattering to my body type. I was just wondering when tucking in became acceptable again because I remember it being a fashion faux pas for a very long time.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I honestly haven't noticed that becoming trendy again, but I am with you, I do like the style that way. It's more shapely but it also depends a lot on the skirt. I think the blouse should be tailored or form fitting to make it look good as well as the skirt. I just recently started wearing skirts again, thanks so summer. I have two satin blouses I found look so much better tucked in....out and it makes the whole outfit sloppy

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
Shirin said:
I honestly haven't noticed that becoming trendy again, but I am with you, I do like the style that way. It's more shapely but it also depends a lot on the skirt. I think the blouse should be tailored or form fitting to make it look good as well as the skirt. I just recently started wearing skirts again, thanks so summer. I have two satin blouses I found look so much better tucked in....out and it makes the whole outfit sloppy

I just recently noticed it myself, but I'm hoping it sticks around for a while.

Here's an example of what I was talking about. I don't usually follow trends, but I could see myself wearing this.
_5741499.jpg

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
According to my little friend, who is 11, tucking in your shirt is nerdy. But he is talking about me.

Inky

One Too Many
ValenciaCalling said:
I've seen a lot of outfits lately where the skirts are high waisted, even coming up to right under the bust line, with blouses tucked into them. I'm excited that it is back in style, because it's flattering to my body type. I was just wondering when tucking in became acceptable again because I remember it being a fashion faux pas for a very long time.

that's the best fashion trend news I've heard in a long time. I am sooooo not trendy!

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I think it started when waistlines rose.
Because yeah, tucking in your shirt when you have on low-rise pants would look odd.
But when skirts and bottoms are brought back up to the natural waist, a tucked in shirt looks classy and sophisticated.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I haven't noticed because I couldn't find any flattering shirts when I was a size 16 until 07 and now it depends on how the bottom is cut but all of mine have a slightly rounded bottom and are fitted in shape so I think they look best tucked in 99% of the time but can go either way because it's not a very definite rounded bottom. I just feel it finishes off the whole outfit if my shirts are tucked in and all my skirts and pants have natural or high waist lines.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This is not one trend I'll be following! With a huge rack and high waist, I usually look awful with a tucked in shirt. When looking for vintage patterns, I look for "overblouse" styles of blouses that usually have a shaped hemmed, designed to be worn untucked.

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i love the fact that it's instyle as well.
sadly, i can't pull it off - in new or vintage clothing. i have a short waist-to-shoulder measurement and protruding ribs and when i try to wear a tucked shirt in high waisted things, 90% of the time it makes me look really awkward. i can only tuck if it hits below my natural waistline (which can also look awkward most of the time), or if i have a vest over it... :(
which is all a shame, because i love the look of it!
i have to be really careful about belt placement/size as well...

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
ValenciaCalling said:

I don't know, but I am VERY happy about it. I used to love wearing belts and I wore tucked in shirts all the time, but then the waistlines dropped so low, and belts just became a thing of the past. I am long-waisted, so this is a much better look for me that the untucked, low-waisted look that extends your torso (I don't need the help...).

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Thank goodness.....hopefully this trend will really take off so we don't have to look at butt floss and muffin tops anymore. :)
I rarely tuck my shirt in anyway for the same reason Kamikat pointed out, but I prefer wearing higher waisted pants and skirts.

Shirin

A-List Customer
ValenciaCalling said:
I just recently noticed it myself, but I'm hoping it sticks around for a while.

Here's an example of what I was talking about. I don't usually follow trends, but I could see myself wearing this.
_5741499.jpg

Oh yeah I've seen those since about last Thanksgiving, its a dress actually. They had several like this in Macy's last year that came with a matching waist length swing jacket., very 50's! I'm kicking myself for not buying one or two, but if you're handy with a sewing machine there is a pattern by SImplicity, number 2724, that is almost like the dress in the photo.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Odalisque said:
I think it started when waistlines rose.
Because yeah, tucking in your shirt when you have on low-rise pants would look odd.
But when skirts and bottoms are brought back up to the natural waist, a tucked in shirt looks classy and sophisticated.

Agreed!

Lorena B

Practically Family
ValenciaCalling said:
I remember it being a fashion faux pas for a very long time.

:whistling Opsss!! looks like i have been out of fashion for quite a while:)

zendy

A-List Customer
I love the tucked in look with a sheer blouse and a pencil skirt. Yowser! Too bad i can't pull it off. Makes me look dumpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran