Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turn-of-the-Century headwear?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I'm looking for something that would have been common during the early years of the 20th century/late years of the 19th century.

What kinds of hats would folks in this time period have worn?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Thanks for the input folks.

First question- what kind of hat style is the one in the first ad posted by mthatter, third from the top 2881?

Second- what hat style indicated what class? i.e. did bowlers indicate that you are a banker, a trilby a lawyer, etc?

Thanks again,
-Kodiak

Pilgrim

One Too Many
My impression from the background stuff I've happened across is that the bowlers/derbies were a working businessman's hat. If I recall correctly, the top hat was a more upper-class and/or formal hat.

I am open to conrrection or comment on this - I'm not sure I'm interpreting the articles I read very accurately.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Img_6690.jpg

That's a pretty spiffy looking porkpie- ish hat. The second one down on the right.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Pilgrim said:
My impression from the background stuff I've happened across is that the bowlers/derbies were a working businessman's hat. If I recall correctly, the top hat was a more upper-class and/or formal hat.

I am open to conrrection or comment on this - I'm not sure I'm interpreting the articles I read very accurately.

Bowlers were definately the "middle class" hat. Gentlemen generally wore top hats, although that began to change as the 19th century progressed and the top hat started to fall out of favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner