Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turnups (cuffs)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Cuffs for me!

widelegnk9.jpg

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
cuffs

As far as modern input goes, a popular trend these days seems to be to let your jeans or other such casual pants "stack" at the bottom of your sneakers or boots... not an altogether clean-cut look, but I've seen how it can be cool in certain circles.

As far as rolling or turn-up cuffs, I have seen a few photos of mens jeans or trousers rolled up for an extremely casual summer look... kinda reminds me of a hippy or woodstock look, but not in a bad way. I've been known to both roll and cuff my casual trousers if the need arises.

As far as dress or wool trousers... I don't think sentiments have really changed all that much. People seem to regard cuffed or uncuffed dress trousers as a matter of personal preferance, though I think I read somewhere that cuffing is more appropriate for taller men as it breaks up the vertical lines of the trousers... sort of the opposite of pinstripes.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I personally can't stand trousers without cuffs on myself. I usually go for a bit bigger than 1.5 or full 2 inch cuff, but that's just me.

A friend told me Cuffs mean bussiness! That doesn't mean they cant be casual though.

SpatzKat

New in Town
colinlyne said:
What is the present thought on turnups (cuffs) on trousers? Most of mine are none turnup, but I do like the ones with!

I see non cuffed pants as being mostly casual. When it comes to business or a night on the town, cuffs are the way to go for me. I wouldn't even consider going to a meeting or interview wearing anything less.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I like cuffs; the extra material down there seems to help the legs drape better. I usually get cuffs and a medium break.

I've heard a rule of thumb that you should have cuffs if the pants are pleated, otherwise no cuffs. Most of my suits are pleated, and most have cuffs. My black suit is flat-front and I didn't get cuffs; I was going for a more sleek, clean, modern look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick