Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo with a fedora?

ruvort

One of the Regulars
Hmmm. There’s also plenty that’s “right” there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not if we are talking about formalwear. It is neither proper black tie nor white tie attire.

Mind you, women can certainly look smashing in formalwear that is based on their male counterparts, when it is done properly:

985716089e82eb4dcd3a74cdfabf3847.jpg
270ec0898217e599bb415f0153795c73.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Not if we are talking about formalwear. It is neither proper black tie nor white tie attire.
Like other's have said, you take your hat off at the venue. As for what is right and what is not. Apéritifs, Martinis, a fine French Merlot, champagne & cognac have such an effect on the equilibrium, that the only thought of my attire was, not is my tie correct, but did I remember to put one on?
The waiter clearly demonstrates how to remain upright, whilst I, although seated, have a definite list to port, (or a glass of anything else that came to hand.)
tux.jpg

ruvort

One of the Regulars
Getting back to a Fedora with a dinner suit ...

Truly you should be matching the formality of your headwear with your overcoat. In the case of black tie, something like a Chesterfield would be worn and would merit a Homburg.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Hi all, new to the board and blown away by all the sharp and swanky looking members on here....this might be a silly question to some of you but I am totally clueless about it but here goes...

Is wearing a tuxedo with a fedora acceptable or is it a fashion faux pas?

I saw a gentlemen wearing this combination on a old movie recently and thought it was kinda odd looking at first but soon warmed up to it..was this quite common back in the day?

I would tend to think not. But I don't wear many tuxedos, so take it from that. Good luck.

Mind you, women can certainly look smashing in formalwear that is based on their male counterparts, when it is done properly:

985716089e82eb4dcd3a74cdfabf3847.jpg
270ec0898217e599bb415f0153795c73.jpg

Umm, you missed my point. I was admiring the attractive young lady irrespective of her “formal wear.” Let’s not become so focused on contrived rules that we overlook beauty. :)

ruvort

One of the Regulars
Umm, you missed my point. I was admiring the attractive young lady irrespective of her “formal wear.” Let’s not become so focused on contrived rules that we overlook beauty. :)

I understand and do admire beauty when I see it. However, I was attempting to stay on point. This is a hat/clothing forum after all. [emoji6]

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I understand and do admire beauty when I see it. However, I was attempting to stay on point. This is a hat/clothing forum after all.
That's true, but it drifts all over the place, and it's all the more enjoyable for that. A little glamour, a touch of humour, it makes The Lounge a place of interest. We can even manage robust debate with very few spats. And I take my hat off to that.

AEF17

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies!
Apologies for the resurrection of a Bush-era thread. I'll know better next time.
As to overcoats, I posted about this about five years ago, and was told a Chesterfield was optimal, but that plain black was fine. Since then, I have acquired a 1952 black db Chesterfield overcoat that really looks more late 1920's/early 1930's than 1952.
Telling ya, though, so of us don't have faces for homburgs, although I do appreciate the balanced comments and lack of "how dare you..."
Although perhaps I shouldn't say that I prefer the late 'teens-early 'thirties white waistcoat with the dinner suit/tuxedo look.
I'll stop before the bricks get tossed at me...

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
Yep, I noticed that too. Perhaps not as many men dressing for dinner these days? Say it isn’t so.

I'm afraid I'm one of them. When my wife and I recently went on her first cruise, Holland America Line, a few weeks ago, I can't tell you how many hours I spent stressing over what appropriate attire was for the dinners. Both before the cruise and while on it. It got to the point I was just glad to be done with the dinners (although the food was phenomenal the entire cruise). I only own one suit, and it's black, and I look like an undertaker, no matter what I'm doing...church, a court appearance, dinner, funeral, etc. In fact, funerals are why I chose black...I figured if I was only going to have one suit, it better be versatile.

I'm at the point now that I hate my black suit, and would love something more dapper than my typical khaki cargo pants, but to a novice (I've been wearing one uniform or another at work my entire adult life), fashion is frankly intimidating. That's one reason I love threads like these...I learn new things every time I read them. We plan to go on many more cruises, and eventually even work on a cruise ship. So I definitely need to up my style game. ;)

I'm afraid I'm one of them. When my wife and I recently went on her first cruise, Holland America Line, a few weeks ago, I can't tell you how many hours I spent stressing over what appropriate attire was for the dinners. Both before the cruise and while on it. It got to the point I was just glad to be done with the dinners (although the food was phenomenal the entire cruise). I only own one suit, and it's black, and I look like an undertaker, no matter what I'm doing...church, a court appearance, dinner, funeral, etc. In fact, funerals are why I chose black...I figured if I was only going to have one suit, it better be versatile.

I'm at the point now that I hate my black suit, and would love something more dapper than my typical khaki cargo pants, but to a novice (I've been wearing one uniform or another at work my entire adult life), fashion is frankly intimidating. That's one reason I love threads like these...I learn new things every time I read them. We plan to go on many more cruises, and eventually even work on a cruise ship. So I definitely need to up my style game. ;)

It’s amazing how a well-fitted suit can help you to feel. Years ago Brooks Brothers sponsored Martin Greenfield fitters at select stores and I had a dinner suit (tuxedo) made to measure. It was cheaper than I had expected and I wore it for a few years until it didn’t fit...I didn’t get taller. :(

I picked up a fully canvassed Hickey Freedman dinner suit at a Nordstrom sale for a great price and I later added a cream shawl collared dinner jacket for summer months. I don’t wear them often, but they are of high quality and fit perfectly and I look for excuses to wear them.

I’ve never had a bespoke suit made, and probably never will, but a good made to measure suit is pretty close and they are as comfortable as pajamas...well, almost. Dress up now and then and take your wife out to a nice restaurant or the theater; most women like that sort of thing. Formal and semi-formal attire isn’t hard to master once you get it all together. Even we working stiffs can dress for the occasion. And I’ll be wearing a black homburg for the 30 seconds from the car to the venue. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ruvort

One of the Regulars

If you are serious about upping your attire, I'd recommend giving the askandyaboutclothes.com forums a look. Lots of great information there.

Jedi5150

Familiar Face
If you are serious about upping your attire, I'd recommend giving the askandyaboutclothes.com forums a look. Lots of great information there.

I appreciate the suggestion. I still like my comfortable clothes for everyday wear, but I'm serious about wanting to get much better at the "business casual", "informal", and "formal" attire.

Ask Andy About Clothes is one of the better forums, but lots of bad (in my opinion) information there too. Some people put way more thought into it than it requires.

This Information Age is equal parts blessing and curse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points