Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TUXEDOS! Brooks Brothers, bespoke, vintage. Sizes 38 - 48.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
RECENT BROOKS BROTHERS SACK TUXEDO

Union Made in the USA.

Tagged 48R. Measurements:

Chest: 24 3/4
Sleeve: 24 1/2 (+1 1/2)
Shoulder: 21 1/4
Length: 30 3/4

Waist: 19 (laid flat; double for size)
Inseam: 29 (+2)

A lovely contemporary Brooks Brothers tuxedo, this has a single button front and notch lapels. It is cut as a sackwith unflapped pockets and no vent. It is fully lined, half-canvassed, and has three button cuffs.

The trousers are flat front and have no belt loops; they have interior buttons for suspenders.

It was Union Made in the USA.

This has a couple of minor surface blemishes on the back, which will come out easily with a dry clean. It is in excellent condition.
Asking just $45, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA.

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
b5.jpg
b6.jpg

Last edited:

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
UTTERLY COOL 1950s TUXEDO BY CRAWFORD CLOTHES

Union made in the USA between 1949 and 1962.

c. 40, 42R. Measurements:

Chest: 21 1/2
Sleeve: 24 3/4 (+2)
Shoulder: 19
Length: 30 1/2

Waist: 16 (+2 1/2) Laid flat; double for size--so between 32" and 37".
Inseam: 31 (+1 1/2)

This is Rat Pack in Vegas, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davies cool!

Cut from a lovely soft almost flannel wool cloth in a shade of dark midnight blue, this wonderful shawl collar tuxedo simply exudes '50s cool.

Rather than being fully lined, this is quarter-lined--all the better to show off the quality of its construction. It has a single button closure, and four button cuffs. All the buttons are intact and original. It is unvented and subtly darted, and has jetted pockets.

The trousers are pleated, lack belt loops, and feature external buttons for suspenders. They have clearly been taken in professionally at some point, so there is plenty of room to let them out.

The jacket has some minor collar creep, and the whole ensemble could use a dry clean. Overall, then, this is in Very Good condition, and is a bargain at just $45, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA.

c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg
c5.jpg
c6.jpg
c9.jpg
c11.jpg

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
VINTAGE 1950s J. PRESS SHAWL COLLAR TUXEDO.

In Very Good condition with its original Talon zipper.

c. 40, 42. Measurements:

Chest: 21 1/4
Sleeve: 25 1/4 (+2)
Shoulder: 18 1/4
Length: 31 3/4

Waist: 17
Inseam: 30 (+2 3/4)
Rise: 13 1/4

This is absolutely wonderful! Union Made in the USA for J. Press the interior Union label dates this to between 1949 and 1962 and so it was likely made in the 1950s.

Given its date and provenance it's not surprising that this tuxedo is so stylish that it would be perfectly with the Rat Pack. Cut as a classic shawl-collar tuxedo is is, as you'd expect from Press, a sack, with a single button closure. It is fully canvassed and fully lined, and has a single center vent. It has two button cuffs and flapped front pockets, as well as two deep interior pockets lined with sturdy cotton duck.

The trousers are flat-front and uncuffed, and have the appropriate military stripe in satin. As is typical for the period they are higher rise than contemporary trousers (see measurements above) and they feature the suspender buttons on the outside of the waistband. They also mark a neat transition between the trousers of the 1930s and 1940s with their button flys and the zipper fly of the 1960s; these have a zipper fly, but they do not have the standard metal clip at the top of the zipper. Instead, they fasten at the waistband by two offset buttons.

The zipper is the original Talon, and it moves beautifully fluidly.

Since it is almost 70 years old this tuxedo has some minor flaws. First, the front button needs to be re-attached, as it is currently loose. Second, it needs a dry clean; it was cleaned before storage, but i has some surface dust marks from being stored and could use a clean to freshen it up. (Please note that the shading on the jacket that appears in pictures is not the surface dust, which is very minor, but dappling from late afternoon sun!) And there is a minor mark on the lapel at the end, as shown, and two small surface scuffs on the shoulder. Finally, there are some surface lines on the trousers from hanging; these would be removed with its first dry clean. This is thus in overall Very Good condition.

Overall, then, this is a lovely example of a 1950s tuxedo from J. Press, and it's a bargain at just $45, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA!

p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
p4.jpg
p6.jpg

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
STUNNING 1968 BESPOKE TUXEDO, HAND-MADE BY JOSEF BORG OF PRINCETON!

Made by the tailor who worked on *Sunset Boulevard*.

c. 36, 38R/L. Measurements:

Chest: 19 1/2
Sleeve: 25 3/4 (+1 3/4)
Shoulder: 17
Length: 31 1/2

Waist: 15 1/4
Inseam: 31 1/2 (+1 1/2)

This is absolutely gorgeous!

This was made in 1968 by Josef Borg, the premier Princeton tailor who worked on the costumes for *Sunset Boulevard*.

As you'd expect from a Borg tuxedo the tailoring is exquisite--the closest that I have seen to this would be work by Brioni. The cut is also wonderful--the jacket has a beautifully elegant silhouette. The cloth is also unusual--a dense waffle weave, providing visual interest close up.

The jacket has a narrow shawl collar and subtle darting. It has jetted pockets set at an angle, reminiscent of English hacking jackets. It is fully lined and fully canvassed, and features handwork throughout. It has two button cuffs with handmade faux buttonholes. It has a double vent.

The interior label is set at an angle, matching the angled pockets. The interior pockets are lined in cream silk, and feature handdone pick stitching.

The trousers are flat front with small darts on each side at the waist for shape. They have no belt loops, but buttons for suspenders.

The jacket is in excellent condition, apart frm a small blemish on one lapel, as shown. The trousers, however, need significant repair; they have several snag holes and some staining on the legs. This tuxedo is thus priced as an odd jacket only. I will include the trousers, and they might be repairable, but I suggest that you pair this beautiful jacket with a pair of tartan trousers for a truly Ivy holiday rig!

Asking just $49, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA.

bo1.jpg
bo2.jpg
bo3.jpg
bo4.jpg
bo5.jpg
bo6.jpg
bo7.jpg
bo8.jpg
bo9.jpg
bo10.jpg

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
VINTAGE 1960s TUXEDO BY "AFTER SIX"

Union made in the USA between 1962 and 1968.

c, 38, 40L. Measurements:

Chest: 20 1/2
Sleeve: 25 3/4 (+1 1/2)
Shoulder: 18
Length: 32 1/2

Waist: 17 1/8 (+1 1/2) (Laid flat; double for size)
Inseam: 29 1/2 (+2 1/2)

This is a lovely example of a 1960s tuxedo!

Made by "After Six" in their Philadelphia factory, this is a classic shawl-collared tuxedo with a single button front. It has subtle darts for shape, and a single center vent. It is fully lined and half-canvassed and has a single center vent. It has three button cuffs. All of the buttons are original and intact.

The trousers are pleated and uncuffed. They have no belt loops, but feature buttons for suspenders on the outside of the waistband. They close with their original Conmar zipper.

There is a very small snag hole on the left-hand side of the jacket, near the side seam. I only found this when measuring--I didn't detect it while photographing--so it is inconspicuous. The tuxedo also needs a dry clean--there is surface dust on the shoulders and the trousers from storage, although this can easily be remobved. This tuxedo is thus (conservatively!) in Good/Very Good condition.

Asking just $35, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA.

61.jpg
62.jpg
63.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg
66.jpg

Attachments

• 67.jpg
    67.jpg
    908.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 37

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
RECENT NORDSTROM SHAWL COLLAR TUXEDO

Tagged 42R. Measurements:

Chest: 22 3/4
Sleeve: 25 (+1)
Shoulder: 19 1/2
Length: 31 1/2

Waist: 17 3/4
Inseam: 31 (+2)

A lovely recent tuxedo by Joseph Abboud for Nordstrom, this is cut from 97% wool and 3% nylon for strength.
An elegant shawl-collar tuxedo, the jacket has a two button closure and subtle darts. It is fully lined and unvented. It has jetted pockets and four button cuffs.

The trousers are pleated. They lack belt loops, but have interior buttons for suspenders and also side adjusters for a snug fit. They have no cuffs.

This was Union Made in the USA.

The trousers have surface dust marks from hanging, but these will come out easily with dry cleaning.

This is overall in excellent condition, and is just $45, or offer, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA.

n1.jpg
n2.jpg
n3.jpg
n4.jpg
n5.jpg
n6.jpg
n7.jpg
n8.jpg
n9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members