Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two kinds of ring snaps, 4 parts, 27/L, pole vs. double claw

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I posted this question in the "ask a question get an answer" thread but later realized it's mostly for hatters, so I am raising the question here.

I noticed that the common ring snap buttons used by Schott and a few other clothing makers are different than the more common pole-type snaps. Schott uses a "double-pin" snap, where the two pins are somehow hammered down and bend toward each other to fasten the male part. Does anyone know the proper name for this type and the tools needed?

I would assume the double pin don'y create a round hole but puncture through, they seem to be more secure than the pole type. Thanks!

regius

3CB15208-BD00-4FB6-AE4E-E3C482543A0E_zpskjxvveia.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

armscye

One of the Regulars
While this response may not be as useful as a link to Google (?), I can comment briefly: Most ring snaps are fastened by a center tube that is rivet-expanded. Schott and a few other makers employ, as the original poster shows, a double prong fastener that I believe comes out of the upholstery/automotive field, which is more resistant to tearing out. I last saw double prong ring snaps on the tonneau cover of a 1974 MGB, and my own Google search did not turn up a supplier.

Bear in mind that there is a whole separate category of snap called a spring or (more colloquially) nipple snap that uses 3-4 peripheral prongs to fasten it in place. These deliberately have much lower holding power than ring snaps.

armscye

One of the Regulars
The "27L" measurement is in lignes, a European unit of measurement that is also used in the watchmaking and tailoring fields.

regius

While this response may not be as useful as a link to Google (?), I can comment briefly: Most ring snaps are fastened by a center tube that is rivet-expanded. Schott and a few other makers employ, as the original poster shows, a double prong fastener that I believe comes out of the upholstery/automotive field, which is more resistant to tearing out. I last saw double prong ring snaps on the tonneau cover of a 1974 MGB, and my own Google search did not turn up a supplier.

Bear in mind that there is a whole separate category of snap called a spring or (more colloquially) nipple snap that uses 3-4 peripheral prongs to fasten it in place. These deliberately have much lower holding power than ring snaps.

armscye, your response is much much fore useful than the google link, which actually sounded patronizing. my question was pretty specific, i wanted to know what tools i need to use to apply this type of two-prong snaps. OF COURSE I KNOW THEY ARE CALLED SNAP FASTENERS! my google search does not even show up the right type of snap I am talking about. a real mystery now. nevertheless, i appreciate all the support!

Peacoat

Bartender
Sorry the link was of no use to you. If you had followed the link and dug around a bit, you would have found all types of snap fasteners, kits and tools to install and repair fasteners. There were some there that appeared to be just as you pictured above. I would provide that specific link, but don't want to again appear patronizing.

robrinay

One Too Many
From my limited research while trying to modify a Barbour International to take a hood:
The generic terms for these types of fasteners are the ones mentioned above, snap fasteners, poppers, press studs etc. The ones with prongs - central or arranged in a ring seem to be a design feature used on fabrics which stretch, so as to give grip with less chance of 'tearing through'. The ones with central pillars seem to be used on less stretchy leather or canvas/waxed coats. I can only suggest that the twin pronged type shown are a hybrid designed to give a greater degree of strength than a pillar type - perhaps on thin or soft leather eg lambskin. Some types and sizes are available in haberdashery shops but others such as the larger 'nipple' type found on for example Barbour coat hoods are impossible to find in shops or in online stockists but sometimes come up on eBay ( without the logo).- I found some recently after around a year of occasional searching. The tools were supplied with the press studs for a few quid (GB Pounds). The tools used are either pliers or stamp and die designs which are hit with a small hammer. The end faces of both types of tool are the mirror image of the section they press onto or hit to cause the pillar rivet to spread or the prongs to bend.

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
I have seen this type of snap on a vintage salt & pepper denim jacket and trousers I own, which I think date to the 1950's.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Robinray

If you have the tool to fix the studs with the best place to get barbour press studs is barbour.

I got a old nato issue international jacket off ebay which was in almost perfect nick even down to still having it's factory fresh wax and papers with it but two of the press studs had the outside face corroded so I rang barbour to see if i could buy a couple of replacemant studs and the answer ws short ant to the point. "No sir you cant we don't sell those items to our customers" they took my address and sent me enought studs to do the whole jacket including the small ones for the liner, and threw in a bit of the old wax cotton that they made the jacket out of originally so I could do a bit of surgery on the jacket so now my international has a couple of hand warmers in behind the lower pockets and a couple of other tweeks and all the studs are pukka barbour branded and nice and new.

You cant beat that for customer service and coming from a british company I found it very refreshing ,couldnt praise their customer service people enough.

regius

From my limited research while trying to modify a Barbour International to take a hood:
The generic terms for these types of fasteners are the ones mentioned above, snap fasteners, poppers, press studs etc. The ones with prongs - central or arranged in a ring seem to be a design feature used on fabrics which stretch, so as to give grip with less chance of 'tearing through'. The ones with central pillars seem to be used on less stretchy leather or canvas/waxed coats. I can only suggest that the twin pronged type shown are a hybrid designed to give a greater degree of strength than a pillar type - perhaps on thin or soft leather eg lambskin. Some types and sizes are available in haberdashery shops but others such as the larger 'nipple' type found on for example Barbour coat hoods are impossible to find in shops or in online stockists but sometimes come up on eBay ( without the logo).- I found some recently after around a year of occasional searching. The tools were supplied with the press studs for a few quid (GB Pounds). The tools used are either pliers or stamp and die designs which are hit with a small hammer. The end faces of both types of tool are the mirror image of the section they press onto or hit to cause the pillar rivet to spread or the prongs to bend.

Thank you Rob. I wouldn't say the twin prong type is more for less stretchy or thinner materials, after all, Filson, Pendlton and Schott all deal with heavy stuff and they all use this type constantly, from the old days until today. I hate to think they they oligopolized the tools! I went to Kaufman's leather factory in NYC today and nobody has knowledge of this type of fastener. I emailed Ken of Aero, let's see if he has something to say. Schott's Gail probably has an agenda and can't disclose too much. Thank you all, including Peacoat, I didn't mean to yell at you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR