Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two questions (in one)!

Maguire

Practically Family
If i'm posting this in the wrong area my apologies, but i'm just trying to gage opinions on two (semi related) items. I'm looking at my favorite place for cheap suits, http://www.mensusa.com for a decent white suit to wear during the summer, and also i was wondering what anyone had to say about their hat selection? http://www.mensusa.com/tools.aspx?id=263 Are any of these hats ok? I know they're cheap but would you put on any of these lids with a suit? Any recommendations? I've gotten a great (my personal favorite) suit from this site, but i haven't really tried for hats or anything else. I figure you folks are the people to ask if anyone. thanks for any responses.

Maguire

Practically Family
hmmm good point. I didn't actually notice that but i've gathered from my (limited) experience that wool hats just look tacky.

That off white looks nice, if i get more cash i may invest in it, thank you kindly.

Maguire

Practically Family
I've got another question (i might as well just lump this one in here)
but i've resolved to simply go to the nearest hat shop, try on the hat and THEN buy it. Anyone know any hat shops in the NYC/Queens area they can recommend? I know i'm not the only NYC person here.

DerMann

Practically Family
Brown and white spectators would go marvelously well with an off white or ivory suit.

For stark white, I might even say white bucks. Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

Maguire

Practically Family
Imahomer said:
I have a harder time finding shoes that go with suits and stuff.
I only one black dress shoes and black polishable boots. I don't know, black goes with everything and anything.

Maguire said:
hmmm good point. I didn't actually notice that but i've gathered from my (limited) experience that wool hats just look tacky.

I'll break from form and offer that those hats actually look OK to me. Loud? You bet. More than a bit costumey? Sure. But that's kinda the point of 'em, ain't it?

The problem with wool is that it probably won't look good for long. If I were to hazard a guess, the majority of fedoras (and the like) I've seen around here during our recent spate of real winter weather are made of wool. And most of them look it, meaning that after just a bit of real-world use they are no longer fit to wear with anything but gettin'-dirty clothes. They taper, they droop and sag, they dimple. It's not that some (many? most?) fur felt hats won't do the same, but wool typically gets rattier sooner. And fur felts usually have a somewhat richer appearance and a much nicer hand. The higher quality the fur content (beaver, nutria) the more dramatic the difference, generally.

I try to take good care of my hats, especially the old, old ones that have survived all those decades in such fine shape. But attire was made to be worn, right? And it ought to be made well enough to stand up reasonably well to that wear. I fear that a wool hat just won't do that.

Maguire

Practically Family
ortega76 said:
I'll agree with TonyB on wool hats being ok. Yes, they do look a little over the top, but that white suit will attract a lot of attention anyway.
I just don't want it to look like a costume you know. I want the hat to not stand out. Plus i wouldn't wear the hat with that suit. I was thinking of pulling the 80s look with the suit, you know, scrunched up sleeves with some brightly colored T shirt. Either that or the cuban look.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Black or White

Maguire said:
I don't know, black goes with everything and anything.

Umm... actually NO, black does not go with everything!
I use this trick to check, take a second and reverse the outfit...black suit and white shoes. :eek: Nope.
White or light tan/cream suit and black shoes...also, nada. The exception might be a true black and white outfit, but you would really have to work it that way. Dark blue/black jacket, white pants and black shoes, ok. That has balance.
As per the suggestions, perhaps white or tan bucks (suede) , Deck shoes (Docker style) or even spectators in brown or tan/white. The idea is light, airy, breezy summery outfit. Heck, I can even see sporting some shoes, shirts and accessories in light colors like pastels of lemon, lime or peach etc. Skip the scrunched sleeves and popped color. Leave that to Don Johnston. Just my opinions.
The shoes don't have to be expensive. In fact, a couple of different pair would let you totally rework the same suit. Keep your eye out, by summer you should have a chance to find a bargain in something that will work.

P.S. ...i disagree...20 yrs is something!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner