Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two small scratches on a brand new leather jacket

Xav

New in Town
Thanks for all your answers
I think that I won't return my jacket to Double Helix. I would have prefered to get a jacket without anything that I consider as imperfections but I can live with it. I've got several watches and I know to well that a scratch comes very easily

Observe

One Too Many
Thanks for all your answers
I think that I won't return my jacket to Double Helix. I would have prefered to get a jacket without anything that I consider as imperfections but I can live with it. I've got several watches and I know to well that a scratch comes very easily
Truly the first cut is the deepest when it comes to this sort of thing.

Reactions: Xav

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
I see this trend in footwear forums as well, like Reddit’s /r/goodyearwelt, people considering returning goods for the smallest of things. A few days ago a guy there was considering returning a perfectly fine pair of boots because the edge of the sole had a small discolouration.

My guess is that the reasoning is, “well I’ve spent like $100 tops for a jacket or a pair of shoes all my life, if I’m spending 5x or 10x that amount it surely has to be flawless”. And I kind of understand it, but OTOH we’re talking about stuff that’s prtially hand made with natural materials, and more importantly: if you wear the thing just for a little bit you’re going to cause more damage than that. The main reason I love stuff made out of leather is that I can (ab)use it and it’ll only look better. The expensive delicate stuff I have is sitting on the wardrobe.

True defects of the kind that affect the structural integrity of the garment, sure. I’ve bought maybe 20 pairs of boots and 10+ leather jackets and sizing issues aside I’ve only sent back a pair of boots that had a fold inside right where the pinky toe is, and it was very uncomfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner