Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two small scratches on a brand new leather jacket

Xav

New in Town
Hello everybody

I recently bought my first leather jacket and although I've read many threads on this forum, I have no idea what to expect from a brand new leather jacket.
I tried on a few jackets at different stores and after a while I settled on a Double Helix Works jacket. My size was not available so I ordered my jacket directly from the factory and it was made to order. When I received my 30's Classic Jacket today, I noticed 2 small marks on the left sleeve. It's not really holes but it's missing a layer of leather like a scratch and I'm asking for your opinion:

Is this normal/acceptable for a brand new jacket to have those two marks? Or is it a reason to request another one?

Attachments

• Scratches 1.jpg
    Scratches 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 163
  • Scratches 2.jpg
    Scratches 2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 163
  • Scratches 3.jpg
    Scratches 3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 158

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to ask Double Helix for an explanation
I've owned many full grain leather jackets from different makers, double Helix included. The only maker that delivers a jacket with leather that's 100% free of scars is Thedi leathers.

In other words, I wouldn't worry a bit about these two small scars. It's to be expected from full grain leather.

Xav

New in Town
I've owned many full grain leather jackets from different makers, double Helix included. The only maker that delivers a jacket with leather that's 100% free of scars is Thedi leathers.

In other words, I wouldn't worry a bit about these two small scars. It's to be expected from full grain leather.
Merci, ça ressemble presque à des trous mais il reste de la matière
It almost looks like holes but there is still some material
I read your messages in the Double Helix thread. They are part of the reason why I chose to buy a Double Helix jacket

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
It almost looks like holes but there is still some material
From the above statement it looks like they are deep gouges.

Some material left?

Scars are one thing, deep holes quite another.

I would accept scars; anything deep goes back.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Double Helix looks cool but Japanese MTO is definitely not what I would recommend as a first jacket for a variety of reasons.

Xav

New in Town
From the above statement it looks like they are deep gouges.

Some material left?

Scars are one thing, deep holes quite another.

I would accept scars; anything deep goes back.
Yes they are rather deep but there is some material left

The guy at Double Helix told me that the horsehide originally had traces of worm bite.

Xav

New in Town
Double Helix offered me to return my jacket to them and claimed that they can replace the sleeve perfectly.

I’m considering it... but I'm wondering if it's possible to replace a sleeve perfectly (ie whitout altering the sew holes to much or anything like that) ?

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
Acceptable. Don't worry.

They can replace the sleeve near-perfectly but it's not worth the time but if it bothers you that much and they're willing to do it then go for it but it really isn't an issue.

Yeah you might get a leather piece with stretch marks on it and wonder if it's normal. Some people like those "tiger stripes".

Character is nice though, they're bug bites, you know a bit how the horse lived, no 2 pieces of leather will look the same from an animal that lives out in nature though. There's always going to be variation.

Observe

One Too Many
I'm a stickler for weird QC stuff on leather, probably more than I should be on "real" leather goods. Your spots, while noticeable, just look like bug bites and it seems the finish and top coat went on over it no problem. I don't think they're actual holes or cracks, which I've dealt with on high end leather goods before. Another thing to consider: if you get the sleeve replaced, there's no guarantee that there won't be some other flaw on the new sleeve that bothers you.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Double Helix offered me to return my jacket to them and claimed that they can replace the sleeve perfectly.

I’m considering it... but I'm wondering if it's possible to replace a sleeve perfectly (ie whitout altering the sew holes to much or anything like that) ?

Yes, don´t worry about the surgery. It´s a relatively easy job to do for any halfway skilled mechanist.

I would seriously consider it, if you are really bothered by the marks. If you feel that all the feedback here will set your mind at ease, just enjoy it. I guess, there is no real right or wrong...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner