Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Two WWII Vets Receive "American Patriot Award"

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Last night I had the honor of attending the National Defense University Foundation's annual dinner during which two WWII veterans -- U.S. Senators Ted Stevens (R-AK) and Daniel K. Inouye (D-HI) -- were honored as the 2005 recipients of NDUF's American Patriot Award. These two men are very close personal friends (they refer to themselves as brothers) and have many years of service in the United States Senate.

The American Patriot Award recognizes an exceptional American who has demonstrated a profound and abiding love of country and whose inspirational leadership and selfless dedication to national security and to world peace have significantly advanced our Nation?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s ideals, values and democratic principles.

Senator Daniel Inouye was honored for his ?¢‚Ǩ?ìremarkable valor in World War II and for his Congressional leadership for more than 45 years.?¢‚Ǩ? Following the attacks on Pearl Harbor in 1941 Inouye immediately enlisted in the Army. While fighting in the European Theater he suffered multiple gunshot wounds and a grenade blast that shattered his right arm. In 2000, Inouye received the Medal of Honor for his bravery. In 1959, he became Hawaii?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s first Congressman and was elected to the Senate in 1962.

Senator Stevens was honored for ?¢‚Ǩ?ìhis sustained dedication to advancing the nation?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s security policy and for his service in World War II.?¢‚Ǩ? During World War II, Stevens was a pilot in the China-Burma-India Theater, supporting the Flying Tigers of the 14th Army Air Corps. He received two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Air Medals, and the Yuan Hai medal awarded by the Republic of China. Today he is the president pro tempore of the U.S. Senate.

For more about last night's ceremony: Click Here

I will post some WWII era photos of Stevens and Inouye if I can find some.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the posting. Both men are great examples of the courage and dedication shown by many of that generation. It's good to see them honored... and to have news of something removed from the usual name calling happening in our nations capital for a change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy