Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S. Authentic Horsehide A-2 Flight Jacket--Size 44: Excellent Condition!

Juanito

One of the Regulars
One (1) U.S. Authentic, russet horsehide, A-2 jacket, size 44: Excellent condition, barely worn, from a non-smoking home, no funny smells or aromas, just leather. There are stitch marks from insignia removed from the chest and shoulders, but if anything it gives the jacket are certain credibility or patina. All of the Flying Tiger patches shown below come with it, and they are of a very high quality overall, two of them being felt backed with "bullion."

I purchased this jacket on eBay from the original purchaser several months ago. I wear a perfect size 42 in a suit, with original and most reproduction size 44 and 46 A-2s (Good Wear, Eastman, Diamond Dave, Lost Words Dubow, Avirex, Willis & Geiger, etc, etc.) fitting perfectly, so I though the US Authentic would be the same--nope. When US Authentic says they fit true to size, they are not kidding. This is a tent in the shoulders for me and is excessively long. Please pay particular attention to the shoulder width below, which in my opinion contributes to its size.

The funny thing is that that I bought this on a whim, just to see what the US Authentic jacket was like. I am unbelievable surprised at the quality, both of the hide and the jacket itself. The hide is nearly on par with the Lost Worlds horsehide--very heavy and dense, with a nearly impermeable finish. The stitching is good and consistent, although the seams are a little wider than an original A-2. The collar sand is a little wider than typical, but the total collar height is standard. Nickle plated Talon zipper.

The jacket has the contract number of the WWII Perry A-2 and roughly follows the Perry pattern with the stand collar, the box stitched pocket reinforcement, nipple snaps, and pocket flap design. No, it is no where near a perfect copy (I have three original Perrys to compare it to), but it is a good rendition aside from the rather roomy arms (the original Perrys are much narrower).

In any case, I bought a size 42 U..S Authentic and it fits me far better, using it for an everyday kick around jacket. No, it is not on par with a $1,500 Good Wear A-2 or an Eastman, but it is pretty comparable to a Lost Words A-2 in terms of leather and finish, and far superior to any Avirex, Cockpit, Protech, Bradley, etc.A-2. A very high quality jacket, with a couple of modern liberties taken in design. Considering that these retail for $524 plus shipping without the patches, this is a chance to get a bargain on a great jacket.

Here are the measurements:
Pit to pit, front--25"
Pit to pit, back--24.5"
Back: Base of collar stand to top of knit--24"
Windflap: 24.25"
Sleeve: Shoulder seam to top of knit--25"
Shoulders: 21"

This is a roomy jacket.

$175 shipped to your door via USPS Priority Mail in the US. International buyers pay exact shipping to your country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24