Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U.S.S. Olympia, 2-war naval veteran, battles for survival.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
PHILADELPHIA – The USS Olympia, a one-of-a-kind steel cruiser that returned home to a hero's welcome after a history-changing victory in the Spanish-American War, is a proud veteran fighting what may be its final battle.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100906/ap_on_re_us/us_endangered_warship

Olympia’s Historical Significance

From the moment of her launching in 1892, Olympia was a rare treasure in the U.S. naval fleet, as no sister ships were ever built. She is the world’s oldest floating steel warship and the sole surviving naval ship of the Spanish-American War. Olympia served as Admiral Dewey’s flagship at the Battle of Manila Bay, which marked the U.S.’s emergence as a world naval power. Olympia’s last official naval mission was to carry the body of the Unknown Soldier from France to the United States in 1921. In addition to being a National Historic Landmark, Olympia is also a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, on the National Register of Historic Places, and part of the Save America’s Treasures program.

http://www.phillyseaport.org/ships_olympia.shtml

Battle of Manila Bay

On the morning of 1 May 1898, Commodore Dewey, with his flag aboard Olympia, steamed his ships into Manila Bay to confront the Spanish flotilla commanded by Rear Admiral Patricio Montojo y Pasarón. The Spanish ships were anchored close to shore, under the protection of coastal artillery, but both the ships and shore batteries were outdated. At approximately 05:40, Dewey instructed Olympia's captain, "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley". Gridley ordered the forward 8-inch gun turret, commanded by Gunners Mate Adolph Nilsson, to open fire, which opened the battle and prompted the other American warships to begin firing.
After initial success, Dewey briefly broke off the engagement at around 07:30 when his flagship ran low on 5 inch ammunition. He ordered the battle resumed shortly after 11:15. By early afternoon, Dewey had completed the destruction of Pasarón's squadron and the shore batteries, while his own ships were largely undamaged. Dewey anchored his ships off Manila and accepted the surrender of the city.

Classification: Protected Cruiser C-6 "Olympia" Class (no sisterships)
Keel Laid: June 17, 1891
Completed: April 1, 1893
Comissioned: February 5, 1895
Rig: Two military masts, with schooner rig.
Armament:
Four 8 inch Mark III guns in two turrets (two guns forward, two aft), which fired a 250 lb projectile, with a 105 to 115 pound brown powder service charge and a muzzle velocity of 2080 feet per second. The two main gun turrets, forward and aft, could rotate 137 degrees. The turret guns could be elevated 15 degrees.Each gun weighed approximately 31 tons.

Ten 5 inch Mark II guns, firing a 50 pound projectile with a 28 to 30 lb. brown powder service charge and a muzzle velocity of 2,250 feet per second

Fourteen 6-pounders

Six 1-pounders

Two Colt machine guns

One field piece (for landing parties)

Six 18" Whitehead above-surface torpedo tubes

Contractor: Union Iron Works, San Francisco, CA
Length: 344 feet, 1 inch
Beam: 53 feet
Mean draft: 21 feet, 6 inches
Max. draft fully loaded: 24 feet, 9-3/4 inches
Displacement: 5,870 tons
Complement:
33 officers and 378 enlisted men Commanded by Captain. Charles V. Gridley to May 25, 1898 when Captain. B. P. Lamberton assumed command.

Engine type: Vertical triple expansion engines, generating 17,313 hp.,
Boiler type: Four double-ended and two single ended cylindrical boilers.
Speed: 21.7 knots
Coal bunker capacity: 1,085.6 tons
Normal coal supply: 400 tons
Endurance @ 10 knots: 6,105 nautical miles
Armor:
Protective deck (interior of hull at approximate level of waterline) was 2 " thick on the flat, and 4 3/4" on the sloped portion.Additional armor was provided through the use of cellulose-packed cofferdams built inside the hull, above the waterline.Coal bunkers were strategically placed around the perimeter to act as additional armor to protect the vitals of the ship, such as the magazines, boilers and engine rooms.

Cost: $1,796,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cruiserolympia.org/site/the-quarterdeck/

Jacqui

New in Town
S.O.S. Save Olympia from Salvage

AP story said:
From Olympia's bridge on May 1, 1898, during the Battle of Manila Bay in the Philippines, Commodore George Dewey uttered the famous command: "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley." The Spanish fleet was decimated, making Dewey — and the Olympia — national heroes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100906/ap_on_re_us/us_endangered_warship

This ship, launched in 1892, saw action in two wars and brought home to the U.S. the body of the WWI unknown soldier.

If that's not a piece of our history . . .

And , although I wouldn't have been allowed on board during its service years. I want it to be around for my daughters and grandchildren to see the oak-lined captain's quarters--fading signs of the Victorian era.

Those who don't know their history are condemned to repeat their mistakes. Right?
:cool: Jacqui
Mephisto

davestlouis

Practically Family
WOW!!!
That is an amazing old ship. The pic of the holes at the waterline make me cringe. I'm astounded that it still exists in the first place, and that it hasn't been drydocked since 1945, if I read the article correctly.

There was a reference in the article to the SS United States....that's another historic ship that should be saved.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Why is it so much easier to just sink it and make an artificial reef? If the head of Microsoft can have a call to fellow billionaires to donate half of their fortunes to philanthropic benefits, why can't this ship, a pivotal part of American history, be one of those things that these billionaires could donate to & keep people educated in history? Instead this venerable ship will become a huge aquarium, lost to history and forgotten. I guess that if it couldn't be repaired & refurbished as a floating museum of the Victorian age, it's parts should be made into another Navy fleet ship & some of it's choice parts like the command deck be used as a sort of diorama in a Navy History Museum. It is a sad thing indeed, and like they said a national disgrace. I think that some of these billionaires need to pony up and like they are going to pledge to do. This is our history and it needs to be saved instead of being forgotten & lost.

Cheers!

Dan

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad and his brother took me on the Olympia sometime in the early '60's. Somewhere amongst my "stuff", I've got a medallion cast from one of her screws. I quite remember all the polished brass onboard - I couldn't have been more the six years old at the time.

-dixon 'Gridley' cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR