Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK Vintage Shops

robrinay

One Too Many
Sorry Gents - A bit of a disappointment - I'm finally outside Smalleys and it's shuttered with a handwritten note in the door 'closed due to illness sorry'. I'll have to try again another day and of that I'm determined as I can see a light grey tweed newsboy cap I need on the windowsill - with a note exclaiming 500 caps in stock.

robrinay

One Too Many
But the good news is that Celia's Vintage a few doors up is closing here but opening up two outlets at Hopkinson near Nottingham Midland Station NG2 3AJ and at the Newark Antiques Centre NG24 1XP

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I went to the place by the station: Celia's outlet there didn't seem to have much of interest. Of course that might change once the main shop closes.

Thanks for looking at Smalleys.

Metatron

One Too Many
I cycled to Fleetville in St Albans today, and I have to admit that the prices look more reasonable to me nowadays.
It was unreasonable of me to expect charity shop prices.

I spotted this suit, labelled as 1940s.
Just too small for me, it is a 40 long and costs £70.
It is in pristine condition.
A good deal for someone who is nearby.
3 roll 2 with red flecks:

robrinay

One Too Many
I managed to fit in a visit to Smalley's (see above posts), while on my way to the works do. The proprieter/owner Mr Brandon Harris was friendly and helpful, but explained that he has 'turned over' all of the old stock and tries to hold onto the vintage signage to add to his displays. With his permission I took a few pics of the inside of the shop which I will post later when I'm over the 'beer barrel fever' I caught at the staff party last night. He has a fantastic range of stock and a visit to the shop is something any of you visiting Nottingham, should try to pull in. He didn't have a the Stetson newsboy cap I saw last visit in my size, but I'm pleased with the look quality and price of the Olney I bought there (half the price of the Stetson).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I was in Margate today and chanced upon this shop: Breuer & Dawson

shop-.jpg

Here's the details of their background from their website:
Paul Breuer began selling vintage clothing twenty years ago, first at Portobello, and then also with Paul’s Place in the Arches of Camden Market. Matt Dawson started working in the market after art college and through there soon came to know and work with Paul.

Living in Camden during her degree Catherine Dawson was a regular customer at the Arches, indulging a passion for 50’s knitwear (and always regretting missing out on an amazing Fleetwood Mac t-shirt at Paul’s Place!) Music being also a great love, she went on to work in the music industry.

With Matt and Paul both being guitarists they’ve been in many bands along the way. However through the years both continued to work in vintage. With Paul and his children already living in Kent, Matt, Catherine and their children decided to make the move too. Seeing such huge potential in the Old Town area of Margate we three couldn’t resist the idea of opening a shop together; a natural progression of our friendship and mutual passion for all things vintage.

The shop has a similar feel to the Vintage Showroom: lots of quality knitwear and workwear. This is a shop where they know their stuff, are genuinely enthusiastic and are organised (no rails of junk in this shop!). One of the owners was even wearing a belt back, British shop/workwear jacket - and enthusing about the fact it is the only beltback one he has ever owned.

There were lots of good overcoats, priced between £75 & £125 and a couple of fantastic 1940s tweed jacket (also priced around the £60 or £70 mark). They didn't have many suits on display, but that may simply be because the shop focuses on the other stuff. They did suggest there were suits in stock in the basement.

Certainly worth a visit if you are in the area.

Currently they're still relatively strong in the military and country wear, but true vintage is difficult. Mostly they're selling 60s and onwards. Their prices are still very cheap.

They had a small amount of mid century the last time I was in (among the piles, one very tatty and motheaten CC41 suit … too worn even for me), but nothing like it was in the mid-late 90s when you could have any suit in any size for £25. Pick your year and size, they probably had one. Similar story in McKay's in Aberdeen who had gigantic boxes full of WWII KD trousers and shorts at £2 each. Nothing left of those days now, sadly. The supply of bales of WWII and 50s militaria have dried up.

Them were 't Days, lad. Eeeeee.

Remember to check out all of their outlets, too. There's one out on Clerk St but it's a bit of a hike. Still in the old town, though.

By a long way the best Edinburgh shop was FLIP, also on Clerk St just about where it becomes South Bridge, on the hill going south. It was a goldmine of American vintage, again in the middle 90s. Edinburgh really was ahead of the game. My dad talks about shopping for vintage Hussar's jackets (Jimi Hendrix was coming to town) in Armstrong's in the late 60s. I think the one he ended up with was from the 1840s. trashed it, of course, out partying.

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I know its been over a month now, but if someone doesnt mind picking that suit (from Metatrons picture below), I would love to own it & take care of the costs of course.

I cycled to Fleetville in St Albans today, and I have to admit that the prices look more reasonable to me nowadays.
It was unreasonable of me to expect charity shop prices.

I spotted this suit, labelled as 1940s.
Just too small for me, it is a 40 long and costs £70.
It is in pristine condition.
A good deal for someone who is nearby.
3 roll 2 with red flecks:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy