Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underarm Deodorant?

Irish4

Familiar Face
The Alum Block

y ou might try a alum block used for cooling down your face after a shave.It also will close the pores after a shave and heal small abrasions you might get from your razor.It is also a good bactericide.The alum bloc is also a very good natural deodorant. It is actually potassium alum or potash,not aluminium sulfate.You can find a alum bloc here:www.straightrazordesigns.com and it is in the other shaving supplies section.It is made by Shavex.Another well respected product is called Bloc Osma.I think you will like these.Good luck.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
HoosierDaddy said:
I've always used the old fashion style "Old Spice" deodorant...but found nothing new ever suited me near as well....
HD

I like some of the deos tied into colognes (Aqua Di Gio, for instance) but for the price and availability, you can't beat the Old Spice.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
When one...

...of my colleagues went to West Point in the 1940s, the commanding general saw a cadet's container of Mum and dismissively told him: "if you want to be a man, smell like a man."

Modern hygiene practices are distinctly different from what was practiced in the old days. FWIW, I suspect through the constant cigarette, cigar, and pipe smell, it was probably harder to smell B.O., or anything else for that matter.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Old Spice Original for me. Occasionally go to the Fresh scent as well.

Just the normal stuff, too; none of that "dries you out" business.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Brian Sheridan said:
Not to be nitpicky - but that is antiperspirant. You can have deodorant without an antiperspirant. A deodorant would just cover the stick and not keep you from sweating. Would men of the golden age had such a product or did they just smell...ummm...like "men?" Or did that dump on the cologne? I know, I must have too much time on my hands.

I remember Mom said they used to use baking soda as a deodorant.

As for deodorant v. anti-perspirant, an ex-gf who's Dad was a Wholistic doctor advised against the latter. Reasoning was that sweat removes waste products, and if you prevent sweat, the waste products stay in your body, not a good thing.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
I tried the aluminum free something and evidently it is the aluminum that makes you not stink.

The aluminum is the antiperspirant. Smell comes from the chemicals in your sweat. It's true that if you don't sweat, you won't smell, but as posted above, not sweating is not good, and not sweating because of aluminum is just bad news. It's better to use something to control the smell of sweat.

If you want to try an antiperspirant without aluminum, Adidas makes one that uses cotton. I've tried it, and it actually dries out my arms too much. It doesn't give me the rash that the Old Spice used to, but it's really powerful stuff.
190199.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
My dad used to use a doedorant product that came in a small white jar - a cream - it might have had a red lid? Anyway, it had the best smell of anything that I can remember. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the product. Can anybody help? Thanks!

John

Levallois

Practically Family
I keep forgetting about Google . . . . . .

That's amazing - I've got to get a jar for old time sake.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I swear by deodorant crystals. I was very skeptical when a friend told me about them, but they really work, and they're much healthier than stuff with aluminum in it.

You'll still sweat (which, as detailed above, is good for you) but you won't have an offensive odor.

Here's the one I use.

From the website: made of natural mineral salts which are hypoallergenic, fragrance-free, non-sticky, non-staining, dries instantly and leaves no white residue.

And they last for months.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
The aluminum is the antiperspirant. Smell comes from the chemicals in your sweat. It's true that if you don't sweat, you won't smell, but as posted above, not sweating is not good, and not sweating because of aluminum is just bad news. It's better to use something to control the smell of sweat.

If you want to try an antiperspirant without aluminum, Adidas makes one that uses cotton. I've tried it, and it actually dries out my arms too much. It doesn't give me the rash that the Old Spice used to, but it's really powerful stuff.
190199.jpg
Funny you should mention that. I was very excited when that came out, but it didn't work for me at all.

I've started using Tom's of Maine, which works great, at least in the winter.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Anti- non or not
Perspirant- perspiration or sweat

Its like a sweat blocker used in deodorants to keep you from dripping through your clothes :rolleyes:

One can be the other, or have the other in it or not. The words just seem to have gotten folded into one another.

LD

Old spice and Mennen sell anti-perspirants and Deodorants. I use deodorants NOT antiperspirants. They are not interchangeable.

Clay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy