Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uneven grain

rpr

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen

I have just received my eastman elmc G1 horsehide jacket after getting lost in transit for almost three weeks but finnally it arrived.

The jacket has very uneven and creased grain in the front panels and it seems to be less resistant when i thouch those parts. I have not taken pictures yet, only this one from the store website where my jacket with the uneven grain that can be seen near the left shoulder. The opposite right side also has it. It is less seen in this picture than in person. The price was high 1700 so i am pondering to return it but from what i have seen online eastman horsehide g1 and A2 jackets seem to have uneven grain. Is it the look they are going for or a sign of not having the best leather available? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your input guys.

Attachments

• G1_eastman_1280x1280.jpg
    G1_eastman_1280x1280.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 252

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Cannot really tell anything until good, detailed photos are uploaded.

It is, however, par for the course for nearly any leather outside of Goatskin.

jglf

A-List Customer
I’ve had uneven grain like that on Aero jackets and the only thing that bothered me was that the really grainy sections seemed thinner and weaker than the other parts of jacket. I believe those parts came from closer to the belly section of the cow.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I’ve had uneven grain like that on Aero jackets and the only thing that bothered me was that the really grainy sections seemed thinner and weaker than the other parts of jacket. I believe those parts came from closer to the belly section of the cow.
I think that is what the OP is saying - that the grainy sections are softer/thinner/weaker (?) - "less resistant" . If so, I'd be unhappy with a $1700 jacket like that.

jglf

A-List Customer
I think that is what the OP is saying - that the grainy sections are softer/thinner/weaker (?) - "less resistant" . If so, I'd be unhappy with a $1700 jacket like that.
I know, that’s why I said it bothered me on my Aero jackets bc it felt weaker. I would be upset too.

I believe that some manufacturers have bad clicking and include these weaker sections of leather.

Last edited:

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
Hello Gentlemen

I have just received my eastman elmc G1 horsehide jacket after getting lost in transit for almost three weeks but finnally it arrived.

The jacket has very uneven and creased grain in the front panels and it seems to be less resistant when i thouch those parts. I have not taken pictures yet, only this one from the store website where my jacket with the uneven grain that can be seen near the left shoulder. The opposite right side also has it. It is less seen in this picture than in person. The price was high 1700 so i am pondering to return it but from what i have seen online eastman horsehide g1 and A2 jackets seem to have uneven grain. Is it the look they are going for or a sign of not having the best leather available? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your input guys.
Totally uniform grain is probably a sign of the processing of lesser quality leather.
There is nothing likely wrong with what you have, you just aren't used to seeing a more natural hide on a jacket. I am also pretty sure that this is historically accurate for the earlier 20th century jackets. My CXL steerhide jacket has this as well, I feel it makes it very unique.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is uneven grain and there is loose grain. Loose grain is weaker but does not mean it will break with normal wear and tear. Just the surface grain is more likely to pop, separating from the hide. It looks ugly but the hide will hold.
Thinner leather is still plenty thick and still tough.
Even with split hide, the hide is unlikely to tear with normal wear, just that the layers are easier to separate. As said it would look ugly.

Last edited:

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Nice looking jacket - the fit appears to be ideal. I agree that the grain is unbalanced on the front panels and it would be bother me too - especially for the price of $1,700.00 (usd). As for the grainier side being thinner, I've never seen any jacket with that area worn down/out. If you are displeased with the appearance of the jacket then the decision is yours alone to make on any correction.

Kennyz

Familiar Face
It's up to you, but I personally like the looks of the leather on your jacket, Rpr. I prefer uneven grain, and mismatched hides on a jacket, it gives more character in my opinion.

Ken

El Marro

I have that same jacket, I bought it back in 2018. Mine has fairly uniform grain throughout, I would reach out to them and ask if they have another one your size with grain that is more to your liking.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't worry about the durability of the grainy panels. Most of my vintage jackets have uneven grain yet they're still going strong after 70 years.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I like the unevenness, it adds character. At Fine Creek Leathers uneven panels are their trademark.

9075EA73-C3B9-499F-9D23-3397F24A1762.jpeg
0716C076-70F2-46DD-A9D0-62AD6438801C.jpeg

1F902949-7C67-4D1E-B7BE-042E650B4D30.jpeg

jglf

A-List Customer
The op jacket has portions of the belly section which is weaker and not aesthetically pleasing. I’m sure he won’t have any issues with it tearing as it’s not in a stressed area, but having owned jackets like his, I didn’t enjoy the thinness, deep creases, and sponginess of that portion leather. I’ve owned sides of hides and tested the belly section and it is clearly weaker.

I also believe there is a difference between grain that is the same thickness and density as the rest of the smooth portions of the jacket and grain that is clearly looser as the op mentions.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Three comments, in part repeating what has already been said:

1. "Uneven" grain is not untypical on an horsehide jacket (FCL has made quite an USP about exaggerating that as shown in @Marc mndt ´s post.). I have had that in a pair of Viberg boots, a Lost Worlds jacket and in an Aero jacket.

2. I wouldn´t worry about durability unless there are noticeable defects in the leather. With my Aero I too did have the impression that the break-in was accelerated on the grainier parts, but that´s about it.

3. If I am right about durability, it´s in essence a question of personal preferences. I am firmly in the "it only adds character" camp, but there´s no right or wrong.
If it bothers you, just reach out to Eastman. It´s an expensive jacket, and I am sure they will want you to be happy. I have had only the best experience with their customer support when I had an issue with a zipper.

If you are after very even grain, switching to a goat version of the G1 may be the ultimate solution. Eastman has very nice ones in their military section (not ELMC).

Finally: I think the jacket looks spot-on and suits you very well!

MrProper

Three comments, in part repeating what has already been said:

1. "Uneven" grain is not untypical on an horsehide jacket (FCL has made quite an USP about exaggerating that as shown in @Marc mndt ´s post.). I have had that in a pair of Viberg boots, a Lost Worlds jacket and in an Aero jacket.

2. I wouldn´t worry about durability unless there are noticeable defects in the leather. With my Aero I too did have the impression that the break-in was accelerated on the grainier parts, but that´s about it.

3. If I am right about durability, it´s in essence a question of personal preferences. I am firmly in the "it only adds character" camp, but there´s no right or wrong.
If it bothers you, just reach out to Eastman. It´s an expensive jacket, and I am sure they will want you to be happy. I have had only the best experience with their customer support when I had an issue with a zipper.

If you are after very even grain, switching to a goat version of the G1 may be the ultimate solution. Eastman has very nice ones in their military section (not ELMC).

Finally: I think the jacket looks spot-on and suits you very well!
Not to mention that tastes change.
When my first leather jacket got a touch of grain, I thought to myself "what the ****, I like smooth leather". Fortunately, that changed quickly and now I'm a fan of (uneven) grain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ