Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

unique overcoat

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I bought this today and need some help identifying it. It looks very much like the overcoats you see in teens/twenties advertisments.

It's made of heavy wool and weighs 6 pounds. It measures slightly over 4 feet in length and the waist is well fitted. My mom thinks it is a woman's overcoat but I disagree. It is quite fancy but believe it's a men's coat because of the length, the style (DB, peaked lapels, etc.) and the weight. There are no tags or internal pockets and it can be buttoned both left-over-right and right-over-left.

What are your thoughts?

DSCF1220.jpg

DSCF1221.jpg

Lining:
DSCF1222.jpg

Pocket:
DSCF1223.jpg

Sleeve:
DSCF1227.jpg

I can get more pictures if you need them.
Thanks

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
I think that old thing is uselsess and you should send it to me right away so that I can "take care of it" for you, he he.

No. I think that your coat is a mens coat, yes, and i think that you have a nice article of clothing there in your hands. Keep it, take care of it, and use it often.

I have no idea what kind it is, but i like it.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I'm relieved it's a men's coat, though it wouldn't have been a big loss if it hadn't been. You never know what you'll pull out of the deepest, darkest depths of junk shops.
Billy :D

Hal

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
It's a men's jacket...a lovely overcoat.
bk

I wouldn't call it a jacket - surely that's something short, like a suit jacket or sports jacket (or the flight jackets discussed so often here). It is a man's coat as, unless the picture is laterally inverted, the breast pocket is on the left side.
It is indeed a lovely overcoat, rather like a polo coat as Tomasso has said. I have seen one made in the 1920s very like a plainer version of this one.

Josephine

One Too Many
I really like men in overcoats with a nipped in waist and slightly flared "skirt". Did anyone ever see Branagh's Frankenstein? The scene near the end where the creature is watching the place burn? He's wearing a coat like that and it looks sharp! For a pieced together creature. :D

Anyway, you look good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot