Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

University Student: Cheap backpack alternatives?

Fifty150

One Too Many
Sometimes in life, you have to chose function over form. The Timbuk2 will easily accommodate a bunch of books, your lunch, a computer, a bottle of Scotch, and some condoms. Back in my day, all that we needed was the liquor and birth control.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Ok I am going to chime in even though you have a bag already.

As a doctoral student who wears vintage clothing everyday yet has to lug around my macbook around campus, I've tried a variety of totes, from backpacks (butt-ugly) to brief cases (simply killer on my arms). I settled on a rotation of a free conference bag that my laptop fit into but did not at all look vintage, and a map case I bought from the gift shop at one of the Smithsonian museums:
zVnkIopo6X18K6H85GB9V9enN8QjFDhAQVaxbjyoK8lm-y_nr5kVYLsvEpDiztx0_uB8HeD800YOpKhw_IbQvDj8wEOUl8e-WlxIfC7mOTVkbDO9vq9PRTifJRPXLGfl6GEVuKWbR-lzmHJzHyeZLVRW_ofDe-OGbbvLVAsUQLXWy3kxcBpG6WmGKm3QMRmgNbKvh-G4bNKE-PbWpHGpBqKbSTnZiUtgeV7rGp_pwfEv2OUJzQrQbZV8zzm8ZSet_HwzkztLZhdEiQovuiW9R1LIc1lQxBYd

Now that my free conference bag finally died on me, I decided to get something that looked vintage enough, yet could accommodate my laptop. So today I bought this bag at Macy's from Ralph Lauren's Denim & Supply line for around $50.
rl.jpg

Now I gotta figure out a way to cover the "1967" stamp.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That was a wonderful year and the primer to the summer of love.--John

Some of my favorite movies were out in theaters or being made in 1967. :)

I'm guessing 1967 has little to do with the design inspiration of that bag however, it looks more old school than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner