Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Untouchables' Cast: Where Are They Now?

JAVIER

Practically Family
AOL/ Moviefone | By Gary Susman Posted: 06/01/2012 11:05 am Updated: 06/01/2012 12:37 pm
Untouchables Cast Where Are They Now?

The movie "The Untouchables" turns 25 this week (it was released on June 3, 1987), but it seems to have never gone away. Based on legendary G-man Eliot Ness' memoir of his battle against Al Capone (which had also inspired a TV series of the same name), the film made stars of Kevin Costner and Andy Garcia, and garnered an Oscar win for Sean Connery. (Indeed, Connery's performance as a cop who explains to Costner's rule-bound Ness "the Chicago way" of no-holds-barred street-fighting, seems to come up as a reference point whenever observers of President Obama -- especially his opponents -- describe his Chicago-bred political tactics.)

In the quarter century since the film's release, some of those who made the crime drama have seen their careers flourish, while others seem to have vanished into the witness protection program. Read on to learn what became of the stars and filmmakers behind "The Untouchables."

Slideshow
http://news.moviefone.com/2012/06/0...id7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk2&pLid=166279#s=1045255

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I loved that film. Sean Connery is the only actor who could portray an Irish copper with a scottish accent, and still pull it off lol! Or a lithuanian submarine-captain with a scottish accent as well :p

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I loved the movie, still do, but once again the reality resembled the movie only in the basics of the story. For instance, Frank Nitty died by suicide, not an encounter with Ness. And there were a lot more than 4 of them. And if I remember the book right, none of them were killed, just a driver they employed. It's a great book and a great movie, but the stories are very different.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I loved the movie, still do, but once again the reality resembled the movie only in the basics of the story. For instance, Frank Nitty died by suicide, not an encounter with Ness. And there were a lot more than 4 of them. And if I remember the book right, none of them were killed, just a driver they employed. It's a great book and a great movie, but the stories are very different.

All good points. After the Untouchables Ness went to Cleveland and became the Public Safety Director for that city. One of the famous cases he dealt with there was a serial killer known as the "Torso Killer". There are some good books out there about Ness and his life after the Untouchables. The sad thing was that his LAw Enforcement career ended after he was involved in a trafic accident where alcohol was involved.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I think that they (directors) tend to "shrink" it down to make it easier on the viewer. Same thing happened in Apollo 13 by Ron Howard, in a scene where they had to figure out how to power up the command module. In the movie, we see Ken Mattingly (Gary Sinise) and John Aaron (Loren Dean) figuring out the power-up sequence. John Aaron eventually developed a sequence that proved successful, but we didn't see all the engineers from both NASA & all the subcontractors (North American Aviation, Grumman etc) working nonstop to bring the crew home safely. But I digress, my point was that it is usually "easier" for the viewer to relate to several characters "molded" into one, instead of having a whole ensemble contributing a small part to the investigation (regarding The Untouchables)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails