Unusual Akubra hat size: "7/8"

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Clawhammer, May 5, 2021.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer New in Town

I'm looking at buying a used hat online, and the sizing marking instead the hat is "7/8." There are clearly no other numbers missing, just those two. Does anyone know what this refers to?

2. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

I would say it’s a vintage Akubra before going metric and it’s a 6 7/8 hat size. My best guess.
    Johnny

belfastboy likes this.

3. This is common with some brands. Odds are strongly on the 6 7/8 size over 7 7/8. Have them measure the length of the head opening. 6 7/8 is usually well under 8” across and 7 7/8 is well over 8” across. Also, as a general rule a 6 7/8 will sell for about 1/20 of the cost of a 7 7/8. Good luck.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    johnnycanuck likes this.
  4. M Brown

M Brown One of the Regulars

have them measure the circumference of the sweat band. that's the best way to get an exact size.

5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I find asking for the circumference is fraught with problems. Mainly because few if any have access to a proper way to accurately measure it. Trying to use a cloth tape measure is a little dodgy as you need to keep the tape in place around the inside of the sweatband without it slipping or going slack at some point. Off by a cm, off by a size. Not to mention most sellers aren't terribly accurate in performing measurements anyway, as most are not accustomed to measuring something that requires the attention to tolerance that measuring a hat circumference does.

Better to ask for the front-to-back and side-to-side measurements of the opening. Most sellers have a straight ruler and the measurement doesn't require any gymnastics to achieve. The bonus is by getting this measurement, you can determine if the hat is regular, long, or wide oval and compare that with the shape of your head.

As to the hat in question, I'm pretty confident it's a 6 7/8.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

And the 6 7/8 may be the British sizing.
    6 7/8 UK = 56 cm
    6 7/8 US = 55cm

deadlyhandsome and Frunobulax like this.
  7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

True dat.

8. The length and width have been best for me; however, if you’re just needing to differentiate 6 7/8 and 7 7/8 even rough numbers of the interior circumference or just the length of the head opening will get you there. 7 7/8 is a very rare XXXL size and it’s even rarer in vintage hats. Many makers, or models within a maker’s catalog, don’t even go up to 7 7/8, hell, many custom hat makers don’t go that large.

I recently had a similar concern on a vintage Borsalino marked size 7. I didn’t know if it was a US size 7 or a punti size 7 (US size 7 5/8). The seller measured the inside circumference at 24 inches so I knew it was a punti size. I didn’t care if the seller’s measurement was precise as there’s a big difference between a punti 7 and a US 7 and the rough number was enough to confirm what size system I was looking at.

Frunobulax likes this.
  9. Clawhammer

Clawhammer New in Town

Thanks everyone! Sadly I'm a 7 7/8 so this hat may not be for me, but I'll ask for a circumference measurement.

10. 7 7/8...you poor soul. Good luck.