Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unusual Irvin B-3 (pics), pre ww2?

Buco

Familiar Face
Hi all,

Thought i would ask for a bit of help in identifying this unusual B-3. I have limited knowledge of B-3s but i guess it could be quite an old rare one based on the zip alone. I believe this is a zip associated with ww2 Irvins but this seems a different style to all the Irvin pics ive seen from around that time. My supplier seemed to think it was pre ww2?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Stand By

One Too Many
Interesting jacket you have there, Buco ...!
It's got some features of a B3 but not others, and an AM zipper... like I always say, anomalies abound in this interest of ours !
My only guess would be that this is some type of private purchase jacket - whereby the tailor had access to some AM zippers.
I know there are many others here more qualified than myself to assess the era of the zip more precisely.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
The leather seems to have come from a pair of Irvin trousers. The shearling perhaps from some American ones.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Please correct me if I am wrong but I think I saw this jacket many years ago, probably 15 years thinking about it at the War and Peace show. I recognise all the extra bits such as the 2 B3 style pockets, the full leather waist band and what appears to be an extra bit down the centre with the zip.
Is the sheepskin topcoat very thick and had a good coating of hide food?
Over the years it nice to see things do the rounds so to speak.May have a pic of it somewhere as I thought it unusual.
J

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have seen several of these non-issued wartime jackets. I believe they were private purchases used by USAAF ground crew. This Dot zip would date it no earlier than the mid War period.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I've seen trousers made from a jacket, but never vice versa!
A dealer I knew often made replica B2 caps from the USAAF trousers especially if the trousers were a bit rough sometimes using them to patch and repair other jackets as well(B6s and D1s I expect). Lots of us wear sheepskin jackets but in my jacket collecting days I never knew anyone who wanted a pair of sheepskin pants to wear, other than re enacting.
J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana