Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upholstery Help!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I have this hideous couch.

20794697_l.jpg

Not only is the fabric ugly but it is in no shape for presentation. I know the couch is 50s and I would like some fabric suggestions as I am getting this reupholstered soon.

P.S. - The couch is shown without its adorable little legs.

Grace

Vendor
Aqua vinyl!! OR something more liveable...a 50s boomerang bring barkcloth.

At an estate sale a while back, there was a couch pretty similar to yours that was covered in bright orange vinyl. and it had a matching chair and ottoman. $150, and I didn't pick it up. I'll never forgive myself. Lucky you!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:

Well I actually plan on sitting on the couch for one. I don't just want it for display (where an expensive fabric like that would be a good idea). Also, I have dogs who are known to cozy up on the couch from time to time. They wouldn't be allowed on that couch mind you but they can be sneaky sometimes. And finally I live in AZ. I don't know if you've ever been here but our mean temp in the summer is about 110. Now I know that the couch wouldn't be sitting outside but people's butts do get sweaty.

Thank you though for the suggestion.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Pink Dahlia said:
I do like this one.

DF1206-1.jpg

The silk one is beautiful. However, I don't think it would be practical.

Keep 'em comin'!

I just sent this one by my mom. She likes it and thinks it's a good price!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Pink Dahlia said:
Well I actually plan on sitting on the couch for one. I don't just want it for display (where an expensive fabric like that would be a good idea). .
I have several pieces of furniture upholstered in Dupioni silk ($9.99/yd. end bolts ;) ) and I actually sit on them :p . But you're right, Dupioni wouldn't be a good choice for your unique needs.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Pink Dahlia said:
Well I didn't mean to offend you.
No offense taken. Had I known your criteria, I wouldn't have suggested Dupioni as it's not exactly family room material.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Ugh, right. Grandma has sculpted surface aqua vinyl chairs on her '50s vintage chrome / vinyl / formica kitchen set, and it's not exactly comfortable. It doesn't breathe at all and even on a cold day, you end up sweaty. Sure wipes clean quickly, though!

Glad I could help! I'm not a '50s kind of guy, but given the style of the couch, I thought that print was very fitting. Quite atomic. Post pictures when it's done!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
That aqua vinyl is adorable but again not practical.

We're going to take the couch to it's 3rd or 4th upholsterer. The quotes we've gotten have been sky high! However, with our own fabric it will be much cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany