Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upstairs Downstairs Returns

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Upstairs Downstairs returns with all new episodes set in the mid 1930's

Everyone involved in the new version is very much aware of that feeling and they have an extraordinary desire to do it justice.
‘The original ended rather abruptly and there was a feeling the story had not run its full course. People quite rightly felt there was years’ more drama to go.’
The BBC is certainly confident of success. At first a series of three hour-long shows was commissioned for a Sunday-night slot – but the corporation has believed to have ordered another six scripts.
And a full-scale replica of Eaton Place has been built at studios in Cardiff by producers eager to avoid criticisms of cheap sets and limited locations that were levelled at the nonetheless much-loved original.
In the new series, set against the drama of the 1936 abdication crisis, the house has been inherited by the wealthy Sir Hallam Holland, a young and well-connected diplomat, following the unexpected death of his Baronet father.
Holland, who is played by 35-year-old Ed Stoppard, the son of playwright Sir Tom, takes up residence with his wife and his imposing mother Lady Maud, a free-thinking intellectual played by Dame Eileen who keeps a pet monkey called Solomon.
Art Malik plays Lady Maud’s brooding private secretary Mr Amanjit, brought over from her previous residence in India and now struggling to find a place in a household where he is considered neither upstairs nor downstairs.
The new butler Pritchard, played by theatre actor Adrian Scarborough, is described as a complex character who is ‘a very different kettle of fish’ from the stern Hudson.

[YOUTUBE]QElBgNIuM9U[/YOUTUBE]

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1297362/Upstairs-Downstairs-new-cast.html#ixzz0ueBqVlOp

article-1297362-0A8F9BF9000005DC-624_468x415.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1297362/Upstairs-Downstairs-new-cast.html

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oooh, I love Upstairs, Downstairs! It's so funny! I used to watch reruns as a child, and my parents grew up watching this show in the 70s and 80s.

I do hope that we get to see the two sequel-movies here in Australia. I'd read about them, but I didn't know if they ever reached fruition. It seems like they have.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Good grief that's a blast from the past! It was on telly when I was a nipper.

Gordon Jackson was fantastic but then I'm a "Professionals" fan and can't fault the old boy.

Be interesting to see how the new episodes pan out. I suppose if it does well we'll be in for "new" episodes of "The Good Life", "Robin's Nest" and "George and Mildred" :p

swinggal

One Too Many
I've been been enjoying watching the original series of 'Brideshead Revisited' on ABC2 again. It was such a long series but it worked so well because it included so much detail. And all those lovely 20s and 30s outfits....drool.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think it's interesting that in this day and age, the idea of actors reprising roles they did many years ago, but as older individuals has started happening. I guess the first instance I can think of would be Peter O'Toole being Henry II in "Becket", and then some years later (looking a LOT older) in "Lion in Winter". Looks like the Hornblower series intends to do this.
I think this is a really cool idea. Hope it comes off convincingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters