Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic A-2 fit

Banzai

Familiar Face
There was recently a thread on this, but I wanted to re-attack the topic.

In searching this board, US Authentic has a rep for being a trim, "WW2" fit. However, a handful of posts have come up saying that their US-A jackets are a fuller fit, and they would have sized down.

My own experience:

I started with a size 36. The measurements seemed right all around, and it looked good. Yet, there was something about the cut/pattern that made it tightly constricting around my upper arms when moving them forward. Difficult to drive or tie my shoes. I could never figure it out, because the chest and shoulder measurements seemed like they should work. I've owned smaller jackets that were fine.

Went with a 38. Jacket measures 22" across for a 44" circumference. So, I would say kind of big for a 38. At least not a "wartime" cut. But the upper arms feel about like a 36 should. I had the body trimmed down so it's not so blousy.

I don't know enough about the finer points of a pattern to know why this would be. Perhaps the pattern itself is odd?

Given this, does this mean they fit slim, or full? Technically, i suppose both slim (to the point of constricting), while also full?

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm not too sure about that particular brand, but the original A-2 jacket pattern had low armholes that cause it to ride up when you lift your arms.

The only repro I ever purchased new as it was affordable enough, I had to return the first one to exchange for a Long. I chose a size up to begin with just to have a little blousey and room for a sweat shirt but the regular was riding up while driving as stated. The Long made all the difference for be being 6'1"

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I would be curious to know if this is common among original war era A-2s, or is it just something with the US-A reproes?

I own a size 36 US-A A-2 and have noticed this when extending both arms forward at chest level. If this is just the way a trim A-2 fits then I'll take the good with the bad, unless it's some type of poor design in their repro that wasn't present in originals?

My guess is the jacket doesn't have enough slack in the back to allow the arms to stretch forward, but when looking at war era pictures the backs look equally tight.

It may be a flaw in the U.S. Authentics design as well, but I'm pretty sure this was a problem with A2's in general and the reason for bi-swing backs on the AN jackets, M422's, and G1's

nick123

I'll Lock Up
22" pit-pit for a 38 sounds exactly like 40, maybe a trim 40. That's reassuring, as Shaul told me to go a size down with a 38. I still really want a USA A-2.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
For reference, this is how my size 36 A-2 fits:
1A.jpg 2A.jpg 3A.jpg

Last edited:

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
^There are a lot of WWII era picture of A-2 backs online showing the painted art. The slack in the back looks very similar to how my A-2 fits, so I'm guessing they had the same problems with it?

kasa7

Familiar Face
A size 40 has a chest of 23 inches P t P. The 42 is 24 inches PtP.
They are on the larger size but not massive.
I have one A2 horsehide seal brown from US Authentic size 42R, I'm 5´9'' and 42'' chest, and the 42 is a litlle big under arms, probably the 40R would be perfect for me. Pit to pit is 24'' and shoulder to shoulder 20''.

AdeeC

Practically Family
I think the fit looks quite authentic and not much different to numerous WW2 photos I've seen. Photoshopped in B&W, a crusher cap and smoking pipe for adornment will complete the 1943 look.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner