Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic A-2 Jacket Review!

Chad Miller

New in Town
I hope no one minds me jumping in at the end of this thread, but I'd also like to mention how happy I am with my US Authentic goatskin A-2 and the service I received.

Well it started out as an A-2. After the customizations (no epaulettes, slash pockets, leather cuffs and waistband) it looks more like a civilian jacket, which is what I was looking for in the first place. I was surprised just how accomondating they would be to so many changes. They even threw in button cuffs and an inside pocket as a nice surprise.

As far as the jacket itself, having only owned "mall jackets" the trimmer fit in the sleeves and body took some getting used to, but I now wouldn't have it any other way. The whole thing looks very sharp, and even with all the custom work it cost less than comparable jackets I've found elsewhere.

Chad Miller

Zach R.

Practically Family
Weston said:
Yes, I'm curious about that...thought of asking them to do one, but no one seemed to have experienced ordering one.

Also, how will goat wear over time? I realize it won't get as cool looking as horsehide, but what can I expect here?

Well, they do offer their "Memphis Belle" A2, with or without the painting applied to the back.

I'm suprised no one has tried this out yet, It probably won't be as accurate as any of the top-repros, but we may be pleasantly surprised.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The jacket itself is nice.

Zach R. said:
Well, they do offer their "Memphis Belle" A2, with or without the painting applied to the back.

I'm suprised no one has tried this out yet, It probably won't be as accurate as any of the top-repros, but we may be pleasantly surprised.

It's one of their standard production jackets, but the artwork just isn't up to my standards. They are a small outfit with only one person that paints all their stuff, so I think a lot of the artwork might tend to get rushed at times.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I've got the catalog,.....

.....with their version of the pinup by George Petty,...and then I've got a pic of the version I did.
(Of course mine is better!) <----- Blatant self promotion :)

MemphisBellepainting.jpg

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
do throw me out when I say this....but i like and need a civil a-2... since my job takes me outside into the elements. I like the side hand warmer pockets and the inside map pocket with a thinsulate lining. My Reed jacket of 15+ years has shrunk .....and it has been passed on to my son.

It was a nice med brown cowhide and very soft. had the epulats, too.

the only one i found that make anything like this is ll bean and flightsuits. At fs they have a skyliner that would work for me too.

but are you saying that these jackets are dyed heavily because they are of poorer quality.

I just acquire an avirex (about 10 years old) thta belonged to a WWII navigator of the 303rd bomber squadron. It is very stiff.

I would appreciate your input.

mark the shoeshine boy

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Shoeshineboy, re a standard "civil" A-2 (vs. an expensive custom job from Aero), I would recommend a *gasp* Cooper over the LL Bean model. Not only are the Coopers cheaper (I've often seen them for $199), but all the LL Bean A-2s I have seen have three-piece backs, snaps on the windflap, and other obvious inaccuracies.

(I just looked at the US Wings site, and their version is on sale for $206.)

I have a Flight Suits Civil A-2. I have no complaints with the quality of the leather or construction, but I *hate* the dacron lining and "textured" knits - these began to fuzz out and pill immediately, and I really hate the way they look and feel. It's a nice jacket otherwise, but for ordinary wearing purposes, a Cooper or US Wings would probably do just as well, and can be had for nearly $100 less.

nickgp

New in Town
US Authentic makes beautiful and accurate jackets

I have a G-1 and a russet A-2 that are beautiful and I just received an A-2 vest in Goat-seal brown-an A-2 without sleeves or collar and no waistband to wear under an A-2 or whatever-It is absolutely pristine.i am so happy with it-I have know Shaul for more than 10 years and his jackets, nose art and jacket repairs are second to none-realistic and you get value and authenticity-there are many companies out there that are more expensive and you dont get the detail that you get from US Authentic-They have evolved into one of the best jacket companies in the business-I have 16 jackets from all the current manufacturers and US Authentic's are some of the nicest.-Nick

Brettafett

One Too Many
I have been looking for a mid priced A-2 for some time now. Accurate enough, but within budget. Ebay doesn't work for me cause I usually need some lengthening and being oversees, the return costs and drama make it more hassle. Also, itsa gamble, you could receive the jacket you expect, you could also receive a smoke-smelling dud.
After over a year of vacillating between all the above companies and a few more, I finally settled on a Steve McCoglan.
Its on its way and will review and post pics once in hand.
So far, have had a great experience with them. Jacket has been customized (lengthened) at no extra cost with a no-quibble return policy. Heres holding thumbs...

Brettafett

One Too Many
Will do. Opted for the Chocolate, but what a battle.... The Chestnut and Russet looked good too.

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
Skeeter. i was shocked a little, reading this post, to see him pop up. before i would spend too much time worrying about Skeeter's problems with anyone, i think Skeeter has enough of his own personal problems. as one who was involved in a number of posts with him on VLJ, i think he was exposed as an windbag at best and a phony poseur, liar at worst.
but i still grin every time i see a vintage M-422a or G-1 with a very light colored collar, even blonde, and remember his witless rants. Maybe i'm being a bit too hard on him. his lack of touch with reality did make me smile in between times when he totally pi__ed me off. i had quite a bit of combat flying experience in Vietnam, and was put off initially by Mr. Skeeter when he claimed no one wore flight jackets in Vietnam because of the heat. BS. obviously he was not there.
there! i feel better already. G

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
oops. forgot myself. i did buy a custom jacket a few years ago. the jacket was fine and fairly close to what i requested. for the price point, USA jackets fit the bill. i have seen or tried about everyone's jackets, including GW. they all have a place in our world.
i agree with my colleague airfrog--best bets for me have been vintage G-1s on the Bay. it takes patience, even years, and i am not blessed with patience. but it can be done. i am about the same size as frog, but have found a number of highly collectible and extremely nice jackets for a lot less than a new jacket from GW or BK.
i've had to scrub them a few times to remove grime, BO, mold and whatever. these jackets are very tough and you should not be afraid to scrub, soak them. i found a few weeks outside in the Texas sun does wonders for many of them and have put a few in the freezer for days. thankfully, my wife has just accepted this behavior with a knowing smile. keeps me off the streets. ciao, GT

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
the custom jacket i bought in the previous post was from Shaul. the jacket was very OK. him, i found to be a bit moody, maybe cranky. but i've been accused of the same. enough.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Having just purchased a US Authentic A-2 I'll add my two cents to this thread...

I bought their medium-brown goatskin A-2. It's a great jacket and I'm happy with the fit. It feels like a quality piece; good leather, firm snaps, and a decent zipper. It has a nice overall WWII appearance, which is exactly what I wanted. I usually wear a size 38R but bought a size 36R, which turned out to be the right decision.

This picture was taken after two days of wear, the leather is still softening up a bit. It's a smidge long in the sleeves, but I prefer that so the sleeves don't ride up when moving. The medium brown is closer to seal brown, though it looks almost black in this picture.

US Authentic A-2 Close.jpg

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi Yesteryear
Nice jacket !

I am an absolute fan of jackets A2 of this company I have A2 us Authentic Horsehide russet (size 44 )
In his collection we also have A2 Eastman and aero 2. But a2 USauth. is by the best quality (in my humble opinion;)). Aero 2 are too short for me
ps
I noticed that the jacket A2 from USauth become more expensive ! Now price it is + - 660$ (whit shipping to Europa )

Last edited:

whlrydr

New in Town
Interesting that the February 2006 post listed U.S.Authentic at $180. Checking the website, it’s now up past $450.00!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, as somebody who's been involved since 2001, I've watched in shock as leather jacket prices have gone up WAY faster than most other products.

I am not surprised by the artisan custom makers using premium hides and making jackets to size for specific customers, but that off-the-rack Schott jackets are now mostly up in the $800 range seems nuts. Don't get me started on what the largely meh-quality mass-produced jackets from Cockpit, US Wings, Legendary, Alpha, etc. cost nowadays.

In this crazy market, the US Authentic goatskin model remains the best buy in a vaguely accurate, generic WWII repro A-2... even when pushing $500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner