Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Authentic G-8

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
Hey...there is no law that says you can't wear it in a closed cockpit!

View attachment 70455

First off, I'd give my testicles to pilot that baby. Secondly... I received my Horsehide G8 from Shaul with alterations. For me... It's absolutely, positively... AWESOME!! I'll post some pics soon, just want to break it in a little, the horsehide is super thick and needs some character before I post my pics. Being folded up in the mail, I want to rid the jacket of a few quirks due to shipping. Hats off to US Authentic, this thing feels bullet proof! The jacket isn't for everyone, but for me it's perfect for what I do. i can't wait to wear it in the Stampe SV4 or Stearman. I'll be able to hand this down to my grandchild it's so tough! Excuse me while I go find a good rain downpour. :) Sorry to leave you all hanging, but a little suspense is always fun!

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
The jacket looks better on you than on the website! I can see it in a different light now and it looks great - and will be even more impressive in HH!
Looking forward to seeing the finished jacket here soon ...!

What's the history of the USN G-8?

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks better on you than on the website! I can see it in a different light now and it looks great - and will be even more impressive in HH!
Looking forward to seeing the finished jacket here soon ...!

What's the history of the USN G-8?

Thanks for that. :)
No idea what the true history is, I just like the look of it!

Stand By

One Too Many
Love this forum BTW, you all (going to avoid saying y'all, unless it makes you feel down-home) are great.

Long live the outerwear addicts!

... and isn't this the great thing about TFL (Outerwear section) - that we can see jackets like yours and view them in a real-life way and get a sense of the true article and value for money and a review of your experience with customer service?
Thanks for posting!

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
... and isn't this the great thing about TFL (Outerwear section) - that we can see jackets like yours and view them in a real-life way and get a sense of the true article and value for money and a review of your experience with customer service?
Thanks for posting!

More to come!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that. :)
No idea what the true history is, I just like the look of it!

The model is fictitious, but has the diamond pattern found on some Navy sheepskin jackets, like the M-444. I find it ironic that it is also marketed at the "Type 440" which is also a fictitious name, but the "440" seems like a creative spin on the M-"44"x jackets. 4+4=8, hence G-"8". That's my running conspiracy.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_m444a_0002.html

Perhaps also a design based on photos of pre-war civilian jackets worn by airmen?

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here it is! Sorry for the crappy pics, my ipad is old.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
Thanks Nick. It feels really good on but it's going to take forever to break in, the horsehide is really thick, but I couldn't be more happy with the result. It still bends a little weird in a few places, as you can see, but I've been wearing it around the house and it's beginning to crease in all the right places. The smell is intoxicating. :)

daw

Familiar Face
I admire the look, being a big fan of the M444, even if there is no historical equivalent to the G8. Might get one myself some day.

Stand By

One Too Many
I think your smile says it all, Hypoxic! LOL! Excellent. If only there was a scratch 'n' sniff card to go with your post ...
That's a great jacket! Great fit too. Perfecto! I love the look of it. Another to add to the wish-list, dammit!
Wear it in good health!

seres

A-List Customer
Beautiful jacket! It seems like a perfect fit. How do you like the horsehide vs. the goat of the try-on jacket? And with your custom measurements, did you specify a waist size? I ask because the try-on jacket seemed a little big in the waist.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
The leather is a dark, almost seal brown. And I do prefer the HH over the goat for the jacket, I believe it makes a big difference in the way the jacket fits/feels. For my alterations I didn't change anything other than the body length and the sleeves. It could be that I didn't adjust the side straps before. If I let this one out there is some extra room in the waist as well. But I'm getting to that age where I may need it. :) With the straps, I can trim it up nicely.

Hypoxic

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to post that I'm looooovin' this jacket. It's so friggin tough, I feel like I should go out and tackle a cow. My only regret is that I ordered it at the threshold of Spring. :-/ I'm sure others can sympathize.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Just wanted to post that I'm looooovin' this jacket. It's so friggin tough, I feel like I should go out and tackle a cow. My only regret is that I ordered it at the threshold of Spring. :-/ I'm sure others can sympathize.

Ah, but at least you know you've got it! And it'll be ready and waiting for the Fall ...! Excellent. It looks great, man.

How do you like the zipper? I looks pretty robust ... is it YKK?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner