Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Blind Stitch 118-S Sewing Machine For Hats

John Galt

Vendor
Hi fellas (and ladies). I have an opportunity to buy a vintage working US Blindstitch Co. Model 118-S with table & motor at an amazing $250.00. It was a dry cleaner's machine.

I can't find much on this machine, but it looks a lot like a Singer 107 or 108 series and has a round arm for blind-stitching hems, which makes me think it would be ideal for sweats, etc.

Is anyone here familiar with this model? If so, can you advise whether it will work? I will find a pic of one and post here...

John

John Galt

Vendor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378455990.727674.jpg

It looks a lot like this.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Actually it's very different from Singer 107-1, and I don't really see how you would place the hat in this one. The Singer 107-1 sews chain stitches, and I doubt that's what this one does. The 118-S is a hemming machine, so maybe you can use it for binding brims(?)

Why not just sew the sweats in by hand? I know of hatters who own a Singer 107-1 but never use it, due to the lack of controle/acuracy when using a machine

John Galt

Vendor
Actually it's very different from Singer 107-1, and I don't really see how you would place the hat in this one. The Singer 107-1 sews chain stitches, and I doubt that's what this one does. The 118-S is a hemming machine, so maybe you can use it for binding brims(?)

Why not just sew the sweats in by hand? I know of hatters who own a Singer 107-1 but never use it, due to the lack of controle/acuracy when using a machine

Well, you are right of course, but I was referring to the rounded base of the machine, which is similar on both machines, although not seen well in the photo. Also, the photo is not (I think) a 118-S, just a similar looking machine.

The 118-S is a blind stitch dedicated hemming machine, so you are right there too. I had hoped I could use it to sew in sweats, and to bind brims.

I typically do sew sweats in by hand, but it is rather time consuming and I'be been thinking about a machine for this and doing brim bindings. I've got a Strat that needs a new ribbon binding, and really don't think I can make it look right.

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a photo of an actual 118-S, and some stitching on the non-blind side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378694195.163739.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378694233.996866.jpg

Here's another photo. This is actually the 118-C, but has a fairly similar layout and shows what I meant about the rounded base, which I would think would allow clearance for a hat, much like the Singer 107/108 models.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378694762.843298.jpg

I really don't know anything other than I've read, which I why I asked, so I am very receptive to comments. The machine I'm looking at works & has the table, pedal, motor & head, and is only $250, so if it would work for my purpose, that'd be great.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
"The rounded base" is called "the free arm" or "the bolt" and is typical for this type of machine. On old Singers it's often round like this - on others (and newer) it's square'ish. Without free arm, the machine is called a "flat bed" machine.

You can start the sweat-job by placing needles all around the perimeter. When it's in place bast it all around and check the placement - and THEN sew the sweat. That usually makes it a little easier to do it by hand :)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
JG, do you mean attaching leather sweat bands to felt hats ?

i have zero experience with hat making, but i own a blind stitch machine very similar to the images you've posted and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be able to do hats.
the needle is curved and swings in sideways rather than the usual up and down action. it jams quite easily if fabric is too thick. i can't imagine it going through felt.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
John: If I remember right, I saw a post from Art a while ago, saying that he doesn't use his 107-1. He sews sweats by hand, so maybe you can buy his(?) :)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
John: If I remember right, I saw a post from Art a while ago, saying that he doesn't use his 107-1. He sews sweats by hand, so maybe you can buy his(?) :)

Not the case anymore Ole, that post must have been a few years old. I use my 107 daily now that I have it really dialed in . John, I can see no way of this working for you so I would save my money until something better ( or useful) shows up.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Not the case anymore Ole, that post must have been a few years old.

Sorry Art, seems I was pretty outdated on that one. On the other hand, when people our age say "a little while ago", it can easily be a dozen of years ago ... or two for that matter! ;)

Glad to hear you got it adjusted. I hear it can be quite a beast and likes to cut off the brim, when it's not in perfect trim ... and I guess there is a limit to how many Dualists you can sell. Anway, if there are other tools you can't do without, just let me know. I'll be happy to sell them for you :D

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks gentlemen. The clear consensus is to keep looking, and that is what I shall do. I very much appreciate the tips regarding hand-sewing sweats. Maybe that will speed up the process. I really don't mind doing it - it is therapeutic, just a bit time consuming.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You should also look for the ASM-clone of the Singer 107-1. I think, it was called ASM 1107 (American Sewing Machines), but I'm not quite sure. I think I've seen a picture from J.W.Hats, where it was featured - but I can't find it now. This one (a few pics down) could be an ASM, seen from behind(?) Maybe Art can help with the model number?

Do you know this thread where Brad shows how he installs a sweat?

John Galt

Vendor
You should also look for the ASM-clone of the Singer 107-1. I think, it was called ASM 1107 (American Sewing Machines), but I'm not quite sure. I think I've seen a picture from J.W.Hats, where it was featured - but I can't find it now. This one (a few pics down) could be an ASM, seen from behind(?) Maybe Art can help with the model number?

Do you know this thread where Brad shows how he installs a sweat?

Thanks, enjoyed that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart