Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Bomber Jackets

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like it when people don't care. I don't know anyone who would pay more than $50-100 for a jacket. One of my workmates only has one jacket - a $25 nylon coach style jacket he has worn for the past 7 years. He's happy and I think I've learned something from his example.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I like it when people don't care. I don't know anyone who would pay more than $50-100 for a jacket. One of my workmates only has one jacket - a $25 nylon coach style jacket he has worn for the past 7 years. He's happy and I think I've learned something from his example.
It can depend what you are into I expect.
If a friend had asked me to join a reenactment group a few(lot) of years back, I would be a bit put out if after paying the big money found out I was not really into the 100% authentic look the group aimed for.
If on the other hand I bought a cheap lookalike A2 because I liked the style some film star wore and was happy with it, I may move on to something better quality or even stick with the cheap jacket.
Reenacting covers all sorts of genre's, not just the military look such as the British 'Mod' scene where everyone wants a genuine US military parka to ride the scooter. But why pay the money if you don't really like the style though just want to try to fit in with the rest. The same with the Mod's sworn enemy's, the Rockers. Does it really mean you are not serious if you turn up at the ACE Cafe but don't have an original Lewis Leather or even the modern repro?
The facts is there is room for all these jackets somewhere amongst us, though some of us are a little more pedantic about what we expect to see. And that can include me.....sometimes ;)

Technonut

Practically Family
There are plenty of good A-2 jackets out there .... the issue is that they are ( mostly) not what the vast majority of TFL users prefer ... this is a "Golden Era" forum and as such the main preference is Golden Era fit and style ( an issue I have fallen foul of many times with my preference for looser fit jackets and lower crown hats ( even my taste in jeans is much lower rise than many on here )

It can depend what you are into I expect.

I've been a member here for around 10 years, and joined because of my interest in the 'Golden Era', particularly the clothing styles. The above quotes hits the nail on the head when it comes to discussing the type of jacket in this thread's topic, and other modern renditions of the A-2 (other styles as well). Quite simply, the majority of folks who have taken the time to join a forum with the Lounge's premise (A community dedicated to the vintage clothing and accessories of the Golden Era), will not show much interest in these types of jackets.

It FAR from makes anyone not interested a 'snob', since many of the members here live for the patterns / materials / details / craftsmanship of vintage garments. Stitch-counting? Damn skippy! It is alive, and relevant here at the Lounge. I have posted before that "If the devil is in the details, this jacket must be possessed".... THAT's what I'm talking about! Exactly what I'm interested in, looking for, and the reason I am a member of the Fedora Lounge. :) ;) I incorporate (used *gasp*) vintage clothing into my wardrobe pretty much daily, and there was a period of over a few years that I ONLY wore vintage or reproduction vintage clothing for my ENTIRE ensemble..:eek: :cool:

I have posted quite a few threads discussing inexpensive jackets I've run-across here and there over the years which actually were patterned after vintage originals, and shared most of the details with them. Even those threads basically flew over here like a lead balloon, with a small amount of interest (as expected) from folks who appreciate having other options over the more expensive jackets, while still maintaining the taste, details, and sense of style the originals offered.

If one thinks that folks around here are 'snobs' because they joined a group of like-minded individuals sharing a common interest, I challenge them to reevaluate the reason that they joined the Fedora Lounge... ;) Really, where do you think that you are? :)

EDIT: For those out there who do not 'get it' regarding the small, but significant details which made the A-2 flight jacket one of the most iconic, and popular jacket styles in the world, click on over to the Acme Depot. http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml Start reading from the beginning... Study the pics.. BEFORE running out to purchase the US Wings, Cockpit, Legendary USA, (most all the same jackets from a single factory in New Jersey from what I gather) or other low-mid priced A-2's out there. If your interest is truly from a 'vintage Golden Era perspective', the lack of detailing those jackets generally provide will steer you away from potential disappointment, and towards other options, which in many cases (the Morgan Productions A-2 for example) are better suited for folks on a budget, yet still care about the details.. :) ;)

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My view on ' Golden era' clothing is this, and remember it is only my view. It has to fit in with certain modern clothing.
I don't want to walk down the street with the public thinking I look like John Boy Walton's dad or that I am idolising Indiana Jones. So if modern Levi 501s or Wranglers will fit in with an A2, thats fine by me. I don't do reenactment so my 14in bottom tan colour jeans go well with my A2 or brown barnstormer.
When buying modern clothing, be it a hat, a jacket or boots I try to wear what will go with it so I can see in the shop mirror how things will look. Personally I don't think going into a clothing store such as Aero's showroom wearing tracky bottoms and a Chicago Bulls vest when picking out a Barnstormer or Jarrow boots, will give you an accurate view of how you will look in your chosen vintage apparel. I can work the other way around also.
Some on here no matter how dedicated they may be to vintage lifestyle have to live in the modern world will combine like I do. I do wonder if there is anyone who's wardrobe is 100% vintage, maybe not 100% original as who would want to wear someones 1940s underpants or knickers, so retro would of course be acceptable.
J

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Our local charity / thrift shop had a box once of ancient Y Front underwear for sale...wonder if they got any takers for those vintage originals? NOS or part-worn...nasty thought isn't it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran