Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Duty for an Aero

schitzo

Suspended
on this topic of duty for imported goods I have the same drama with Levi jeans which in the UK are a good 55 to 60% costlier than in the States, for the exact same product i.e. 501s. These jeans aren't even made in the US they're imported from elsewhere like these 514s I just got from the levi US site for example which have made in Egypt on the label. Anyway, back to the price of bread..

This year and last year when I've needed some I've asked an American girl i once met in Shanghai to help me out and send them over, under the radar as it were. We aren't exactly close friends and I do feel a little bit embarrassed asking her for this favour as there seems to be nothing I can do in return. Naturally I have offered to return the favour alas there is nothing she wants from these shores. Hmm.. if only she had a penchant for aero jackets..

The mind boggles

Best wishes
Schitzo

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Order this Halfbelt off the Aero "Sale" Section on Monday and lo and behold it came rolling in via UPS this afternoon. No additional charges from Customs or UPS. Great Job Amanda!!!

Love the Jacket, however my photo isn't too good.

237.jpg

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I think Aero is using a faster delivery service, somehow. It took a week or more for the first Aero I bought maybe 6 months ago. This new one was 3-4 days Somehow UPS is involved. My jacket came with the order slip in a clear plastic openable envelope on the outside. Free for anyone to inspect. The box had been wrapped in red security tape. I would love to know the process by which one jacket gets tagged for fees, and another slips by.

Are you there cloudylemonade?

Last edited:

db9v

New in Town
Nice jacket! Glad to see you did not get any extra charges. I should be getting my Aero Stuart in about 2 weeks and I hope it gets delivered without additional fees also..

Mike

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Essentially, with any international order you should be paying at least sales tax/vat. If you get by without paying you've been lucky. The sting is the high 'brokerage' fee the couriers charge.

If you could 'declare' the item and get charged the normal sales tax/vat and not get a brokerage fee would people do that? And still you would have to occasionally have a packet inspected to check that the declaration of value given is truthful.

I think the current policy where people take their chances would prevail.

But if it helps, the fees charged on UK to US package are a fraction of the fees levied in the the opposite direction. The fees anywhere to Canada seem higher than both too!

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Essentially, with any international order you should be paying at least sales tax/vat. If you get by without paying you've been lucky. The sting is the high 'brokerage' fee the couriers charge.

I thought VAT tax was levied on items bought in country, and foreigners were exempt, often times getting a refund if any had been paid.

As I understand it, the brokerage fee is for customs fees, based on the type of item and its cost. Correct?

Where along it journey does it pass the "broker" or customs agent that says "OK, the charge on this one is 7.8% of such and such because it is a such and such? Repeat, where along it journey does this occur. When enters the receiving facility, and is sorted and inspected before putting on the a second truck, or another plane. Is there a customs inspector handling every package (or supposed to and does't? Which would account for the freebies people are getting.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails