USAF Korea War AREFS 903rd vinyl cap ( for your veiwing pleasure)

Discussion in 'Hats' started by C.C. Benoit, Jun 4, 2021.

1. C.C. Benoit

C.C. Benoit New in Town

Greetings, I sold this cap last week. I thought it was only right i post the good memories here. front view.jpeg AREFS SIDE LOGO.jpeg BC2BCBA3-EA6C-48DA-8798-7FFC7BB34C7A.jpeg AACAEECA-67E5-4547-B3F9-2A243D416288 (1).jpeg front view.jpeg AREFS SIDE LOGO.jpeg BC2BCBA3-EA6C-48DA-8798-7FFC7BB34C7A.jpeg AACAEECA-67E5-4547-B3F9-2A243D416288 (1).jpeg

2. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Vinyl? Never seen a cap light that before. From the colour and texture it reminds me of the old bowling ball bags from decades gone by. A little surprised something so bright came from the military. Can you give us a review? Was it like most man made materials? Hot in summer, cold in winter? I am surprised it didn’t crack with age. Must have been well protected. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Johnny

Edward likes this.
  3. C.C. Benoit

C.C. Benoit New in Town

Hey Johnny , thanks for your reply, this cap was predated by the really intricate USAF Theatre japan made hats, The Bomber crews used to frequent these hand sewn shops on the Japan Islands and would have customized caps made for the entire squadron. Really detailed and beautifully made hats.Very similar to this 903rd cap. There are pics of them here on the Fedora Lounge somewhere. But this particular one i believe might was used by the ground crews. Its vinyl just like a bowling ball bag, and it is soiled. No cracks , i never tried to wash it.I can imagine it gets nasty in the summer. It is an odd material for a hat. When i did a search a whole bunch of them pop up.

Edward and johnnycanuck like this.