Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using leather band (instead of fiber) for stitching (on bags)?

icecold

One of the Regulars
Hi there, I recently stumbled upon this bag:
http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/handmadeleather_2059_7515963

I like leather and the style a lot. But as evident on the picture, the leather panels have been stitched together not by using a fiber thread, but a thick leather band.

So, naturally this made me curious about 1) has this type of stitching been popular in any era? and 2) what is the durability of such stitching? Somehow it doesn't seem that it would be quite as durable if it was stitched using fiber thread? Or am I wrong?

Warbaby

One Too Many
It's durable enough, but I've never liked the aesthetic - too reminiscent of cheesy hippy leatherwork. I'd stick with things hand-sewn with a good, heavy waxed linen thread using the double needle technique.

icecold

One of the Regulars
Warbaby said:
It's durable enough, but I've never liked the aesthetic - too reminiscent of cheesy hippy leatherwork. I'd stick with things hand-sewn with a good, heavy waxed linen thread using the double needle technique.

Thanks a lot; plus you pinpointed amazingly well why I'm so ambivalent about the design! I'm not a fan of the hippie aesthetic (or worldview) lol .

Any suggestions for rough, solid leather bags like this one but with normal stitching?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
This seems more rustic-looking than hippy. But individual perspectives differ on aesthetics.

If you're looking for plain-stitched heavy leather bags, I can suggest searching for shooting supplies shops (certainly in the UK). I can't recommend any personally as I tend to find leather goods on Ebay. I've a good heavy leather cartridge bag that cost £10 a couple of years ago and is still going fine, despite almost daily use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy