Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson brown leather options

Viking752

Practically Family
First let me state this your Honor, I spend way too much time trolling most of the sale sites looking for used jackets. That being said I have found some awesome jackets, Schott, Vanson and Legendary all in black. I wear a size US 50-52 and it’s much harder to find the combination of size, style, color etc. If I was a size 40-46 my options appear endless. I want a brown Vanson, that falls into the unobtainium category and then add size 52 and easier to win the lottery.

I had this crazy idea to reach out to Vanson and ask the question, can I get brown leather? Kim responded rather quickly and said yes I will send you samples to look at. Those samples arrived today and are pictured. Here is the deal, if I buy an OTR style in a brown leather with no customization they add 15 percent to the top. And I got some cool Vanson branded samples. Hopefully this info helps someone. So far the Rust is my favorite or maybe Whiskey.
IMG_3027.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good info- have you measured the thickness, or did Kim confirm thickness?

As these swatches go, they felt pretty similar to comp weight, maybe a hair thinner. (Can't speak to these swatches, but I mean the ones Vanson sent me a few months ago.)

Whisky caught my eye most but I'm thinking Brandy with some good wear on it might get me that and more.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
First let me state this your Honor, I spend way too much time trolling most of the sale sites looking for used jackets. That being said I have found some awesome jackets, Schott, Vanson and Legendary all in black. I wear a size US 50-52 and it’s much harder to find the combination of size, style, color etc. If I was a size 40-46 my options appear endless. I want a brown Vanson, that falls into the unobtainium category and then add size 52 and easier to win the lottery.

I had this crazy idea to reach out to Vanson and ask the question, can I get brown leather? Kim responded rather quickly and said yes I will send you samples to look at. Those samples arrived today and are pictured. Here is the deal, if I buy an OTR style in a brown leather with no customization they add 15 percent to the top. And I got some cool Vanson branded samples. Hopefully this info helps someone. So far the Rust is my favorite or maybe Whiskey.
View attachment 533853
Hi
First I love the Whisky Leather.
Just bought a comp weight Black Vanson new never worn from 2011 Style AR. You will love your Vanson. The comp Weight Leather is tops. See if they have the Whisky in Comp Weight?
So you spend too much time looking for Leather Jackets in your size 50-52 so you’re the guy who keeps outbidding me on Schott Leather Jackets that come up for Sale. I can’t stop looking and Buying. My wife ready to kill me. I must of bought 4 Schott or Vanson jackets in the past 4 weeks. Just bought a Brown Leather Schott Style 618 in almost New Condition. I had to beef up my closet coat hanger to help hold up all my jackets.
When the weather gets cooler have to start wearing all the jackets. I have now at least 20.

Last edited:

Viking752

Practically Family
Hi
Just bought a comp weight Black Vanson new never worn from 2011 Style AR. You will love your Vanson. The comp Weight Leather is tops. See if they have the Whisky in Comp Weight?
So you spend too much time looking for Leather Jackets in your size 50-52 so you’re the guy who keeps outbidding me on Schott Leather Jackets that come up for Sale. I can’t stop looking and Buying. My wife ready to kill me. I must of bought 4 Schott or Vanson jackets in the past 4 weeks. Just bought a Brown Leather Schott Style 618 in almost New Condition. I had to beef up my closet coat hanger to help hold up all my jackets.
When the weather gets cooler have to start wearing all the jackets. I have now at least 20.

Would like to see a pic of the brown 618

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Did It arrive?
Hi
Arrived late last night.
I got it for a Great Price $230. I happy with the jacket. The seller said he only wore it once. Looks like he wore it more then once, but I could be wrong. Made in I think 2016. The Steerhide finish looked very dry with white spots. I very lightly used Pecards Brown Tint Conditioner. I used it before. I really only wanted to use Bick 4 but decided on the Pecards. Only a very light wipe down. So a few years back I had the same jacket in a smaller size did not fit like I like my jackets so I sold it. I will repost an old picture here .It will be the first picture. I think the leather was a lighter brown than this new one. What you think?

Bluechel

Practically Family
Hi
So YOU"RE the one who scooped up that brown 618! $230???? I could not BELIEVE I missed that grail....

Schambach

Practically Family
A bit of a late pass, but I have had a couple jackets made with those hides. The GA2 brown is very much motorcycle racing leather, pebbly, not too much character, but very comfortable to wear. Definitely thinner than comp weight. I also have a more recent jacket in the whiskey roma, it's beautiful stuff. Lots of pull up, and character. Scuffs easy, but can be rubbed out. Very much like a lighter cxl. Also a good bit thinner than comp weight, though not thin or cheap feeling by any means.

I need another Vanson like a hole in the head, but I'd love to try something in that Brandy.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Hi
Arrived late last night.
I got it for a Great Price $230. I happy with the jacket. The seller said he only wore it once. Looks like he wore it more then once, but I could be wrong. Made in I think 2016. The Steerhide finish looked very dry with white spots. I very lightly used Pecards Brown Tint Conditioner. I used it before. I really only wanted to use Bick 4 but decided on the Pecards. Only a very light wipe down. So a few years back I had the same jacket in a smaller size did not fit like I like my jackets so I sold it. I will repost an old picture here .It will be the first picture. I think the leather was a lighter brown than this new one. What you think?
I’m most curious about the fit. I’ve gone 52 on the older Schotts due to length. Too much room in the gut on this or is it a good fit? I am surprised by the appearance in your pics that it looks like it was certainly worn more than once. Thinking the seller meant “once by him”?

Schambach

Practically Family
@Schambach pics of the whiskey roma please.
Sure, here are a couple quickies. Edit for clarification, the first photo of the sleeves is the whiskey roma on the left, and the ga2 brown on the right. Second is the whiskey roma.

Attachments

• IMG_4482.jpeg
    IMG_4482.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4483.jpeg
    IMG_4483.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member