Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson C2RN “Renegade” thoughts? Any owners here?

Despot

Familiar Face
I picked up one of the Butterscotch models … to be honest I’d missed that Vanson had the same model for 200 bucks less on their site (damn their website pictures are awful!).

I’m not 100% sure that the fit is the same for both the Butterscotch C2RN and the Vanson model. Based off Vanson’s description of their direct model having 6 inches of chest ease … there’s no way these are the same fit if those numbers are accurate.

I’ve lost a hell of a lot of weight in the last 4 months - I would have been a size 48 (or loose fitting 46), and I’m now a true 44. For context I picked up a 44 Flat Head Delraiser on TFL a few weeks back and it fits - a little tight in the gut but it zips closed. And we all know about the notorious Flat Head V fit!

I picked up a 44 in the C2RN - and it’s a perfect fit. It’s slim fitting zipped … with that little bit of waist flare that I’m hoping goes away with wear. Butterscotch gives the chest as 46 inches - and that feels accurate - there’s a bit of ease in the chest for me. I’m extremely happy with the fit - it’s near perfect in the length, shoulders and sleeves. I can foresee that if the weight loss continues as it has I’d need to size down by the end of the year to a 42 - but by then the Delraiser will have gone from tight to slim and I’ll be sorted anyway.

The leather is perhaps where it’s let down a bit. It’s lovely and soft from the get go - but the grain (which looks to me like it’s printed - like scotch grain) is a bit off putting right now brand new. I’m hoping that changes as it wears in - it’s also a bit lifeless compared to my veg tanned Aeros in Vicenza … but that’s probably not a fair comparison. It’s given as 1.1mm as others have said - and while I’m sure the comp weight is much heavier … it doesn’t feel lightweight at all. It’s quite warm too - even with the lightweight lining in the Butterscotch version.

All that said I’m extremely happy with mine - dull leather not withstanding. If Vanson ever get a handle on their website (and maybe their sizing details/charts) they would sell bucketloads - the pattern of this C2RN is beautiful - slender without being skinny, flattering and just lovely.

I’ll post some fit pictures when I get a chance (it just landed today), but I’ll wear the hell out of this jacket as much as the Irish climate allows. I have a feeling it’ll be my daily driver dumb reach for a while.

Despot

Familiar Face
Also … thanks to TFL for really doing a great job of overcoming Vanson’s awful website! I’ll be honest … I wouldn’t have bought this direct from Vanson based on their website photos - Butterscotch did a much better job of photographing it and made the C2RN look a lot more like how it is in reality. But it was TFL members posting about the quality of Vanson (and the great pattern/panel shapes when you get the right size) that made me pull the trigger on this.

… and I’m glad I did

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very timely post here @Despot. I am ordering the C2RN from Butterscotch in size 48 because I have a store credit I need to use up and this jacket has been on my mind for a while now. I’m glad to hear that you are pleased with the jacket, for the most part, and I look forward to receiving mine one of these days.

Despot

Familiar Face
I was really dithering on it for a while - I’d honestly prefer a bi-swing or action back and comp weight leather … but it’s a great jacket and I’m glad I pulled the trigger.

Until recently I haven’t been the right body shape for any of the Japanese makers - and while that’s changed and I now seem to fit most makers size 44 … the Vanson has turned out to be a much better fit than I was expecting (even though Butterscotch said that it’s true to size… based on Vanson’s website I was worried that it would fit like a sack!)

El Marro

the Vanson has turned out to be a much better fit than I was expecting (even though Butterscotch said that it’s true to size… based on Vanson’s website I was worried that it would fit like a sack!)
Vanson patterns rival or beat almost any other maker in the busines. If they stepped up their leather selection then they would be almost untouchable.

Despot

Familiar Face
So I still haven’t had a chance to take fit pics - but I’ve been wearing the hell out of this jacket. And it’s quickly replaced everything else in the rotation.

Mostly though it’s replaced the Delraiser, which came as a complete surprise to me. I loved the Delraiser design from afar - the lack of shoulder tabs or belt looks and the cut. And it could be that in a few months time the way things are going the Flat Head will fit me as easily as the Vanson does now - but the C2RN is just an easy reach for me. This jacket, in nicer leather, would be an end stage jacket for me.

I hadn’t realised that this cut/type of cross zip would be perfect for me - and that’s got me wondering about whether a Fine Creek Leon Custom (without, not with cut offs) might be perfect.

But - and here’s the thing - I still think the Vanson would be a better fit. I’m a magpie for jackets and boots - I need little excuse to find a new target … but my feeling is that I’ll end up with another well made jacket in lovely shinki that fits me less well than the Vanson in it’s ‘what the heck is it’ leather. So the usual drive to chase the new thing is gone.

Side note - I live in a small town in Ireland. I grew up here, moved all over the world and have settled back here. It’s not a place where random folk ever comment on other random folk (or their clothes) … unless behind their back (“god - would you look at the STATE of him?!”). I’ve had two random strangers compliment me on the jacket and ask where I got it.

Aloysius

I know this thread is old now, but I'd never noticed this deer-tanned cow leather– I assume it's like the leather Schott uses that's a hefty cowhide but with a soft handle like deerskin. That actually sounds great, and more compelling than the current Vanson leather offerings (not knocking them; I know they had to deal with their tannery being burnt down.)

I wonder which other jackets they'd be willing to use this on.

I searched deer on the Vanson site to see the other jackets in this hide, and this Portland might be the best fitting Vanson jacket I've seen on their site.

portland.jpg

abu_abunai

New in Town
Curious about the above named Vanson. Looks like a lengthened version of the C2 stripped of the belt and epaulettes. I like it and the price is very reasonable. I’m curious about the leather. It’s described and “deer tanned cow”

https://vansonleathers.com/mens-lea...-style-soft-deer-tanned-leather-jacket-C.html

What the hell does that even mean? I’d be curious to hear from any owners as to what the hide feels like. To me it looks a bit like the fierenze, which I’m not very keen on. I do like the style quite a bit though....

anybody ever have one of these guys?
View attachment 307419
Per the internets “Cowhide that is tanned to resemble deer hides in every way“.

newtojackets

Practically Family
The waist flaring has gone away, so I retract that criticism. Overall, the jacket fits pretty well. Its snug, but that's how I like my crosszips - I tend to only wear them with t's or flannels without any layering. The dimensions are pretty spot-on, but the jacket seems to hang on my neck a little. That may be my fault since I opted for a snugger fit. For the price, Vanson delivers solid value. My only remaining gripe is while the leather has graining, the color is a dull and muted. I hope rain and wear will liven it some. My goal is to wear it regularly come fall, and I'll report back then. Until then, the jacket will get very little wear here in the South.

View attachment 335529 View attachment 335530 View attachment 335531 View attachment 335532 View attachment 335533 View attachment 335534
A bit late haha, but looks great. What size did you end up getting. Are these true to size?

newtojackets

Practically Family
I picked up one of the Butterscotch models … to be honest I’d missed that Vanson had the same model for 200 bucks less on their site (damn their website pictures are awful!).

I’m not 100% sure that the fit is the same for both the Butterscotch C2RN and the Vanson model. Based off Vanson’s description of their direct model having 6 inches of chest ease … there’s no way these are the same fit if those numbers are accurate.

I’ve lost a hell of a lot of weight in the last 4 months - I would have been a size 48 (or loose fitting 46), and I’m now a true 44. For context I picked up a 44 Flat Head Delraiser on TFL a few weeks back and it fits - a little tight in the gut but it zips closed. And we all know about the notorious Flat Head V fit!

I picked up a 44 in the C2RN - and it’s a perfect fit. It’s slim fitting zipped … with that little bit of waist flare that I’m hoping goes away with wear. Butterscotch gives the chest as 46 inches - and that feels accurate - there’s a bit of ease in the chest for me. I’m extremely happy with the fit - it’s near perfect in the length, shoulders and sleeves. I can foresee that if the weight loss continues as it has I’d need to size down by the end of the year to a 42 - but by then the Delraiser will have gone from tight to slim and I’ll be sorted anyway.

The leather is perhaps where it’s let down a bit. It’s lovely and soft from the get go - but the grain (which looks to me like it’s printed - like scotch grain) is a bit off putting right now brand new. I’m hoping that changes as it wears in - it’s also a bit lifeless compared to my veg tanned Aeros in Vicenza … but that’s probably not a fair comparison. It’s given as 1.1mm as others have said - and while I’m sure the comp weight is much heavier … it doesn’t feel lightweight at all. It’s quite warm too - even with the lightweight lining in the Butterscotch version.

All that said I’m extremely happy with mine - dull leather not withstanding. If Vanson ever get a handle on their website (and maybe their sizing details/charts) they would sell bucketloads - the pattern of this C2RN is beautiful - slender without being skinny, flattering and just lovely.

I’ll post some fit pictures when I get a chance (it just landed today), but I’ll wear the hell out of this jacket as much as the Irish climate allows. I have a feeling it’ll be my daily driver dumb reach for a while.
If you were looking to buy one mainly for wearing with a layer underneath e.g. a hoodie, would you size up?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
If you were looking to buy one mainly for wearing with a layer underneath e.g. a hoodie, would you size up?
The Renegade has 4,5“ ease of movement, which means a size 40 has 44.5“ chest/22.25“ pit to pit. That does for a relaxed fit with enough room to layer in your true size. If you wanted a snug t-shirt fit, you could probably size down. 2“ ease of movement is what very snug fitting jackets usually have (many japanese jackets or the Aero Board Racer e.g.)

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Back length is something to consider also…I believe it’s something like 27” for a size small …Way too long IMO.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Back length is something to consider also…I believe it’s something like 27” for a size small …Way too long IMO.
That is an insane length, I have a 26 inch jacket and that is probably the maximum I could do, plus that’s a cafe racer, which is usually longer than a Double Rider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points