Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson custom jackets

Leadfoot

New in Town
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. The striped comet is amazing, love it. Also love the mercury from 2017, what changes did you make? The lining, and the length maybe?

So, you may have noticed a commonality among my jackets. I like pockets. A standard Comet has two. Mine has six. The hidden hand pockets were a brilliant way of having hand pockets without altering the vibe of the jacket. The interior pockets, however, required adding leather facings to accommodate the pocket trim. A standard Comet and Mercury both have rayon fabric interior facings. So, if you want to add interior pockets, you have to include the cost of adding the interior leather facing as well.

When you place your order, they will send you a fit jacket based on the jacket you are trying to make. This is brilliant. A LOT of information can be gleaned from just having the fit jacket in hand. I would strongly suggest taking many photos and fit pics to have for reference. And take lots of measurements! This is very beneficial to have if a question ever pops up about a particular detail.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a fit jacket when I placed my first order for the Comp Weight Mercury. I specified way too much. Back length, sleeve length, etc. But if I had the chance to try on a fit jacket, I would have realized that the standard sleeve and body length for my size were totally agreeable. There was no need to specify exact measurements. It just complicated things. Lesson learned.

My frustration with the Comp Weight Mercury is the leather itself. It was every bit as thick and stiff as I was expecting. And wanted. But now add the interior leather facings to accommodate the interior pockets using the same thick/stiff leather. It is now acting as a reinforcement to the outside leather which now makes it doubly harder to break in. Now add the pocket trim for the interior vertical pockets. That's 3 more layers. And remember, the hand pockets come standard with leather lined pockets. And so did the interior vertical pockets. So, 2 layers for each pocket. All using the same, unforgiving leather. There was a spot along the zipper where the bottom of the interior pockets overlapped the top of the hand pockets in between the front of the jacket and the interior facing. It was 6 layers thick! Throw in the wind flap (same leather) and zip it all up in a thick #10 zipper. The jacket was supposed to be simple/functional. Instead, I looked like a robot.

The question is, whose fault is that? Vanson's for wanting to accommodate the customer's requests? Or mine for trying to make a motorcycle jacket into something it wasn't meant to be?

Back to the interior pockets, if you notice the trim on the Blue Comet and Navy Mercury are different. I did not request the actual trim on these. In fact, every order after the first one, I just said 'add interior facing vertical pockets, open' and let them decide what works best. And I like them all. If it was important to me, I would have specified something exact. But it wasn't. I just wanted the pockets. I didn't care how they constructed it.

In hindsight, I would probably have been just as happy with a fabric/rayon trim for the pockets. There wasn't really any need for them to be leather or go through the hassle of adding the interior leather facing.

Hh121

Banned
Lots of useful information , thank you!
How much they charge for small change on stock pattern?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for the kind words. But I really wanted to brag on Vanson. There isn't anything I could say that hasn't already been said about their ability to make a kickass jacket. Their skill is strong. But it's nice to have a visual reminder every now and then.

However, I don't want to come across as blinded by brand loyalty. Yes, I am a big fan of their product and I wish them great success. But I have a few stories of my own that mirror some of the frustrations that others have reported. I will be happy to be a cheerleader for them but I won't defend crappy customer service. This has been the biggest head-scratcher for me. They clearly take great pride in their product and their history. And they have been, surprisingly, very accommodating with all my crazy requests. But they don't make it easy. Somewhere along the way, though, I started putting all this in perspective. And somehow it has made it easier for me to deal with them.

I have never visited the mothership. I don't know anyone in the company nor have I ever spoken to anyone there. Or Thurston Bros. for that matter. All correspondence has been email only. I have no evidence to back any of this up, but these are my observations (suspicions??) about Vanson:

-Despite their true size, they are very much a small company. Or run it as such. I'm sure they must appreciate the accolades but at the end of the day, it's their company and they will run it however they want to. Yes, the website sucks ass but it clearly seems to be working for them.

-The last few years could not have been easy for them. Trying to find skilled labor to replace an aging workforce during a pandemic must not be easy while also being based in one of the most expensive states in the union to run a business. Who knows, Nick may be the best they could do with under the circumstances.

-Their materials cost must have increased. Everything else has. It stands to reason that theirs did too. And yet, when was the last time they had a price increase?

-And what of the supply side? No more X150. I'm sure they would love to find a supplier for it if for no other reason than to shut me up. haha!

I still feel like they offer the biggest bang for the buck. No other company offers the customer that kind of variety and involvement in making a jacket. How much do you think Aero would have charged for that Blue Comet? I'm not ragging on Aero. I love Aero. It's just perspective.

I am putting way more words to this than I intended. It really comes down to one word, patience. It may take a while but you will get what you wanted. Eventually.

Although i agree with everything you said, i have to say you can't just expect clients to wait for an email answer for more than two months, that's just unprofessional.
They used to offer great jackets and great customer service, now they offer great jackets and crap service, which is a lot less attractive.
It all starts from customer service...
On my last custom Vanson i literally had a facetime session with the designer of the pattern for my jacket, she drew the pattern right in front of me on shared screen, i then got a full tour of the factory and a full Vanson history lesson, it was great.
I

Leadfoot

New in Town
Although i agree with everything you said, i have to say you can't just expect clients to wait for an email answer for more than two months, that's just unprofessional.
They used to offer great jackets and great customer service, now they offer great jackets and crap service, which is a lot less attractive.
It all starts from customer service...
On my last custom Vanson i literally had a facetime session with the designer of the pattern for my jacket, she drew the pattern right in front of me on shared screen, i then got a full tour of the factory and a full Vanson history lesson, it was great.
I

Agreed. Like I said before, I won't defend crappy customer service. My apologies if I came across doing just that, but maybe I just can't relate. I could wait an extra 2 months if they, say, forgot to enter my order in the queue. I could let something like that slide. But they never blew me off for 2 months. I'd be pissed, too. My sympathies.

flan

New in Town
Thanks for this post. All of these pieces are really inspiring!

I will just chime in to say that as a new motorcycle rider I wanted to get some quality gear, and I initially chose a Spidi jacket thinking it would work for me, until I made the mistake of trying on a Union Garage V7 which resulted in a quick return of the Spidi. Once warm weather hit I literally felt the need for a perfed setup, and since I was vacationing near Vanson I decided to go to the factory and shop. I pillaged the clearance section (benefit of being a small guy!) and had a Cobra built for me, but the real takeaway for me was seeing how they are run. This was early spring 2021 so still very in the throes of the pandemic, and it was a skeleton crew. But Kim (sales manager) offered a tour of the factory and Mike (I think) took me around.

The tour gave a portrait of American manufacturing. Mike waxed about having maybe 120 people in the company before everything crashed in 2008. On the factory floor that day I recall seeing no more than 15 people. Doing absolutely everything. Cutting leather by hand and by water jet, embroidering patches, stitching, making custom race suits, stitching armor, fitting airbags, making off-the-shelf items. . . everything. I think he said that now, company-wide, they had just 30-40 people. But everyone really still cared about their job and workmanship. And everyone, save one new guy, was above a certain age.

I'm not defending bad customer service, especially if it's that person's sole job description. But my guess is that it's not. Few things sooth exasperation and impatience like a response to an email (or worse, multiple emails), I get that, and it's the right thing to do. "Just f-ing respond to me!!" is how I often feel. But I'm willing to cut a little (or a lot) of slack to have such a great product made, for such a fair price.

Leadfoot

New in Town
Lots of useful information , thank you!
How much they charge for small change on stock pattern?

There is no such thing as a small change with Vanson. ANY change requires a 15% upcharge even if you are actually omitting details. Their company. Their rules.

However, that 15% fee allows you to pick from any of THEIR leathers at no additional cost. I don't think the Bainbridge leathers that Thurston Bros. offers qualify. I honestly don't know about that. I haven't asked about.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just saw this thread, @Leadfoot , great jackets! Thanks fir sharing this and pointing the difficulties. I am thinking the best way to avoid a lot of hassle is to go to the shop and order directly. Which is what I am hoping to do next time I make it to the US

Schambach

Practically Family
There is no such thing as a small change with Vanson. ANY change requires a 15% upcharge even if you are actually omitting details. Their company. Their rules.

However, that 15% fee allows you to pick from any of THEIR leathers at no additional cost. I don't think the Bainbridge leathers that Thurston Bros. offers qualify. I honestly don't know about that. I haven't asked about.

For the "fancy" leathers you have to go through Thurston directly. Vanson only stocks pretty basic stuff, but in a good amount of different colors.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Just saw this thread, @Leadfoot , great jackets! Thanks fir sharing this and pointing the difficulties. I am thinking the best way to avoid a lot of hassle is to go to the shop and order directly. Which is what I am hoping to do next time I make it to the US

After buying 2 Vanson jackets by going to their showroom and having them make changes, I would go through Thurston if there is a next time. Having an intermediary is a good thing, looking at @Leadfoot success.

Leadfoot

New in Town
By request, a comparison of the blues.

Vanson Blue 01.jpg Vanson Blue 02.jpg Vanson Blue 06.jpg Vanson Blue 03.jpg Vanson Blue 09.jpg

Note that the swatch samples are outdated. Some have been discontinued. Others have been replaced. The Navy Blue swatch is not like the Navy Blue jacket. The older Navy Blue is a bit stiffer. The newer Navy Blue has a tinge more purple in the color.

EdwardABC

New in Town
Custom Mercury from 2019. Navy Blue leather. Gold hardware.

View attachment 401476

The leather is incredible. Thick and soft. No rigidity. At all. It feels more like a super heavy shirt.

The interior body lining is a perfect example of why you don't let the customer pick out the materials. haha! I chose what I thought was a high-grade quilting cotton. But the fabric is turning a nasty green around the collar.

The color is difficult to capture. It doesn't help that my photo skills suck.

View attachment 401477 View attachment 401478 View attachment 401479 View attachment 401480 View attachment 401481 View attachment 401482 View attachment 401483 View attachment 401484
This is absolutely one of the best jackets I have seen on this site. Simply incredible.

Vanson4thewin

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting these @Leadfoot a great reminder of what Vanson can do. I really enjoyed those blues, two real head turners right there my man

In homage to his legendary customer service I feel obliged to post the last one that I got out of Constantine. His attention to detail and patience with me was absolutely first class throughout, and I thoroughly enjoyed the process of working with him from start to finish.

Attachments

• IMG_20220217_163544.jpg
    IMG_20220217_163544.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 126

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting these @Leadfoot a great reminder of what Vanson can do. I really enjoyed those blues, two real head turners right there my man

In homage to his legendary customer service I feel obliged to post the last one that I got out of Constantine. His attention to detail and patience with me was absolutely first class throughout, and I thoroughly enjoyed the process of working with him from start to finish.

Wow, this jacket is Killer. Congratulations, and I'm sure it's a head turner when worn.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I have never seen that style of d pocket on a Vanson. Nice! Carnalito, you have the coolest jackets and chalecos. I am in line if you ever decide to do a little spring cleaning. Which by the way, is coming up?

I have never seen that style of d pocket on a Vanson. Nice! Carnalito, you have the coolest jackets and chalecos. I am in line if you ever decide to do a little spring cleaning. Which by the way, is coming up?

I think you have enough of my old jackets lol.

I tweaked the D pocket a bit with Constantine.

Vanson4thewin

One of the Regulars
They're running a 10% sale over the weekend, which has set me thinking.

I'm wondering, if any of the Vanson fans on this thread have experienced the team jacket? I'm very curious to know how those fit. I kinda suspect they fit baggy as hell and very short based on the website right ups.. yet when I see them on eBay they look kinda trim.

Anyone?

It just looks like an easy one to customise, although that said, I can report that they only have black knits available at the moment ("info provided by Nick)

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
Since we're on the subject of Vansons and customer service, I was inquiring about their Thunderbird jacket, and their website shows 2 different jacket configurations in regards to the sleeve zippers. I asked how to specify which set up I wanted in my order and Nick replied via e-mail that he did not see the difference between the jackets?

Can you see the difference?

Attachments

• Thunderbird sleeve zip difference.png
    Thunderbird sleeve zip difference.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 121

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112