Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson custom jackets

That Chopper is great. Echoes of some Langlitz touches in the design to my eye.

The sleeveless one is interesting. I've been halfway tempted by a sleeveless crosszip style for a long time, but I don't know that it's me.

you can do it!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since we're on the subject of Vansons and customer service, I was inquiring about their Thunderbird jacket, and their website shows 2 different jacket configurations in regards to the sleeve zippers. I asked how to specify which set up I wanted in my order and Nick replied via e-mail that he did not see the difference between the jackets?

Can you see the difference?

Top sleeve zips on the right? It's extremely ambiguous though because the sleeve zips are out of sight in the photo on the left.

Moostyle

New in Town
Since we're on the subject of Vansons and customer service, I was inquiring about their Thunderbird jacket, and their website shows 2 different jacket configurations in regards to the sleeve zippers. I asked how to specify which set up I wanted in my order and Nick replied via e-mail that he did not see the difference between the jackets?

If I am being honest then not really, no. Maybe you can just save time and explain it to people.

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
Yes, the sleeve zippers are in different places on the two jackets.

It's very obvious to me and since Vanson is putting the photos up as advertising for their product they should know what they're advertising.

Moostyle

New in Town
Yes, the sleeve zippers are in different places on the two jackets.

It's very obvious to me and since Vanson is putting the photos up as advertising for their product they should know what they're advertising.
From the different angles of the jacket I find it hard to tell. Did you afterwards again specify to him what you saw as the difference and did he confirm it?

Leadfoot

New in Town
Newer stock photo (no model) shows the zipper along the rear sleeve seam. Older stock photo (model) shows the zipper on top of the sleeve.

T-Bird Back.jpg
T-Bird Front.jpg

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
From the different angles of the jacket I find it hard to tell. Did you afterwards again specify to him what you saw as the difference and did he confirm it?
No, never got back to me. I feel like they're pretty busy though. Since it's a stock jacket I think I'll order one to try the fit and see where they have the zipper at.

Leadfoot

New in Town
Do you think the jacket the model has on is too big or just the right size?

I'm looking at how the bottom fits at his waist.

Hard to say. The Thunderbird is usually rather short in body length by design. It may be a reason why it looks a little odd on the Vanson model but I'm just guessing.

I posted pics of the fit jacket they sent me last year when I placed my order in this thread - Vanson Thunderbird

The fit jacket (size 40) measured 20" front and 23.5" back length.

This a comparison of the T-Bird fit jacket body length with the other jackets, all size 40. The Oxford is an older Comp Weight but it has the thicker insulated lining in the sleeves and body like the Thunderbird. (If it matters.)

The mannequin is size 40 as well.

40 Length.jpg

Vanson4thewin

One of the Regulars
Having owned one for several years I'd like to share with you fine gentleman a few thoughts on how I think the Vanson comet is best worn.

I have found the best use case to be over 2 layers as a windbreaker/heat insulator. So a t shirt or shirt under a short jumper (like the type SJC push) and then with a short fitting comet on top is perfect. The slim fitting and adjustable zip sleeves become a real asset as does the fact that the jacket is so short. Just above or just overlapping the beltline slightly is where I like mine to sit, so for most of us that'd mean somewhere between 21.5" - 23".

It's such a fun and easy jacket to customise that I've just put my size 40 in the classifieds (I have the octagon trucker to break in now) and if it sells I'll use the proceeds on a replacement in a different hide, and with sleeve stripes

VansonRider

One of the Regulars

Yup, zipper on the back seam or set in on the front of the sleeve. Definitely two different placements. One of those sets of photos is older, and I’d guess it’s the floating jacket pictures. There are closeups of the set in front facing sleeve zip, so my moneys on that one. But good to double check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points