Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Help

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
This is not a competition?

Peacoat said:
When I ordered my Vanson 12/12/09, I was told 2--4 months. So now they are telling customers it will be 4 months? They must really be getting a lot of orders if that is what they are saying.

Peacout, didn't I just read you ordered a Good Wear in January? One a month? At this rate, how can the rest of us ever hope to catch up?

Peacoat

Bartender
JoeNiblick said:
Peacout, didn't I just read you ordered a Good Wear in January? One a month? At this rate, how can the rest of us ever hope to catch up?

Well, the thing is they don't get made and delivered, so I really don't have either one of them yet. Don't feel that I have two new jackets as neither is here. The Vanson should be here in a month or so, and the GW a while after that. When they get in, my jacket buying days will be over for a long time. Although I have developed an affinity for that frock coat of Dixon Cannon's . . .

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
I picked up a Vanson Comet competion leather in a size 42 today. I took a 280 mile round trip ride to get it. I kept calling dealers until I found one who had a 42 Comet in stock, I was worried about fit and wanted to try it on before buying. I usually wear a 40 to 42 jacket, it depends on the brand, this is a snug fit but that is what I wanted, I was worried about the sleeves being too short but they were perfect. The shop owner said over the phone when I called yesterday that he would sell it to me for his cost if I came in, because he wasn't going to carry Vansons anymore. I tried it on with just a t-shirt on because that is how I plan on wearing it. When I retire I plan on moving south to a warmer climate and liked the thin lining in this one.

Lama

New in Town
I'm not trying to be a salesman here, but I cannot stress enough how different a Vanson Comet becomes when it is ordered with +2 or +3 inches added on to the body length (depending on your height), and when the dual zipper is added.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
Lama said:
I'm not trying to be a salesman here, but I cannot stress enough how different a Vanson Comet becomes when it is ordered with +2 or +3 inches added on to the body length (depending on your height), and when the dual zipper is added.

I'm with you on that one and I made sure the body length was what I wanted on my jacket. Too short of a cut off the bike kinda looks goofy, imo.

In fact, in the end I didnt order a Model B, I ordered an Enfield that is going to be "custom" cut. Dan is having them tailor it to fit more like the Model B. I'll have the nice slant pocket, standard collar and longer length of the Enfield with the slimmer cut of the Model B. It should come out perfect for my needs.

Lama

New in Town
Aaronlowe said:
I'm with you on that one and I made sure the body length was what I wanted on my jacket. Too short of a cut off the bike kinda looks goofy, imo.

In fact, in the end I didnt order a Model B, I ordered an Enfield that is going to be "custom" cut. Dan is having them tailor it to fit more like the Model B. I'll have the nice slant pocket, standard collar and longer length of the Enfield with the slimmer cut of the Model B. It should come out perfect for my needs.

Wow!!!!! Sounds awesome. I cannot describe how well made these Vanson's are, and the wonderful fit. You are going to have one amazing jacket with that one. Any chance they can install the older style plaid lining in yours? I wish mine had that rather than the black rayon (?) stuff.

Aaronlowe

One of the Regulars
After only about 8 weeks my Vanson is finished and sitting in my living room. Too bad I'm out of town until Friday. :( Dan from Logan's Closet was nice enough to send me some pics though so I thought I would share them with all of you. Pics with me wearing it and a giant grin to follow.

Enfield.jpg
[/IMG]

Enfield-back.jpg
[/IMG]

Gancho

One of the Regulars
YEEEAHHHH!
Very nice jacket. I specially like the way they modelled the swing-back. Also the choosen leather looks terrific. I guess it is the competition steerhide?!

Can not wait to see it on you. I keep my fingers crossed that it will fit you!

See you here on friday,

oliver

Peacoat

Bartender
Very nice looking jacket. And it only took 8 weeks? I have been waiting 5 months today on mine. I called about a month ago; they said there had been a problem with a shipment of hides, and the order was delayed. Doesn't make much difference now as the weather is warming up. Won't be too many more days cool enough here for a heavy leather jacket.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I was interested in your comment Peacoat...Same story for me. I ordered on Jan 29th and was initially told two to four months. When I checked back in late April, I was told probably two more months. Had to do with difficulty getting the leather. Makes me think I should have gone through a dealer. Looks like that might be quicker. Patience is a virtue, I guess.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I have the same exact jacket in HH, unless you are using it just for riding a bike, I think that the SH is the way to go as it is much more flexible and wearable everyday. Enjoy a great jacket!

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
Very nice looking jacket. And it only took 8 weeks? I have been waiting 5 months today on mine. I called about a month ago; they said there had been a problem with a shipment of hides, and the order was delayed. Doesn't make much difference now as the weather is warming up. Won't be too many more days cool enough here for a heavy leather jacket.

That's quite a difference in time for each respective order! Hopefully, it will be spot on when you get it, and from the recent posts here, I think that likely.

South

One of the Regulars
Interestingly enough, I ordered a black and dark brown Enfield on the same day from Vanson. The brown arrived in about a month. The black has still not arrived and it's been several months.

I have mixed feelings about Vanson. I was disappointed in the brown for a couple of reasons. I have another black Enfield and it has a few problems, one of which, the left sleeve is very thin leather. This brown Enfield is thinner leather, too and very, very supple. Not stiff, like a new black Enfield. It also is pebble-grained, almost like goatskin. Not smooth-grained, like the black. The brown color is also very unattractive to me. I'm planning to re-dye it myself, because I like the cut of the jacket.

Vanson told me the hides are processed differently. They said the brown does look and feel different. They said they have been having a LOT of problems getting quality black hides and that's the reason for the delay on the black. I don't know why. (Langlitz has a higher quality, THICK black leather made to your measurements and delivered quick.)

My original black Enfield has several problems that it shouldn't have had. My experience has not been as positive with them as some folks.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
South said:
I

Vanson told me the hides are processed differently. They said the brown does look and feel different. They said they have been having a LOT of problems getting quality black hides and that's the reason for the delay on the black. I don't know why. (Langlitz has a higher quality, THICK black leather made to your measurements and delivered quick.)

I've heard others mention Vanson's hide sourcing as being an issue. Yes, from what I've heard, Langlitz' leather is probably the finest in the world and their heavy weight leather is as heavy as it gets.

South

One of the Regulars
Tony No-Toes said:
I've heard others mention Vanson's hide sourcing as being an issue. Yes, from what I've heard, Langlitz' leather is probably the finest in the world and their heavy weight leather is as heavy as it gets.

And to be fair, the Enfield is about half the price of a Langlitz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff