Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VANSON Manx Motorcycle jacket. Size 40. Talon zippers!

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Vanson "MANX" Motorcycle jacket

(I've decided to keep this... at least for now!)

Founded in 1974, Vanson was named after the combination of the contracted names of the two original partners, one of whom (Van der Sleesen) still runs the company today.

Vanson was founded to replace the leather jackets that had formerly been produced in England. Stifled by the British economic climate the original leatherworks were having trouble producing much of anything. Sleeson bought the designs and moved their production to Thayer Street, Boston, where he produced and sold leathers from 1975 to 1988.

In 1987 Vanson moved its main production to Falls River, mass., a traditional (but declining) garment town.

Vanson quickly developed a reputation for providing some of the toughest riding leathers on the market, as well as for leading the field in safety technology, such as perforated leather and hard armour. They also were willing to service their leathers in the case of crash damage, meaning that a Vanson suit could last for years even though repeated crashes.

The Manx jacket--named after the Isle of Man, home to the famous motorcycle road race--is a classic Sport Rider jacket. A very sleek and fitted design this has pre-curved sleeves for comfort while riding, double leather at the elbows, forearms, shoulders, and waistband, and a low-rise collar to prevent wind slap at highway speed. This jacket also features classic Vanson ovals on the sleeves, brass hardware, rear exhaust vents, and athletic mesh lining in racing scarlet. It has a TALON zippers!

Cut from competition weight cowhide this jacket has two interior pockets and zip close sleeves; it also features a leather windflap.

This jacket is in overall Good/Very Good condition. It has been worn, and has all of the scuffs that you'd expect from this. It has also had a sleeve patch applied and then removed. The grain is beautiful, and the leather is still soft--albeit heavy. There is some minor sag to the interior pockets. The zippers are all lovely and fluid; the velcro waist fastening has some minor lint throughout, but this cannot be seen when worn.

Please note that while this is tagged a 46 it is sized to fit a 40.

This is a bargain at just $145, OR OFFER, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA.

Please note that I acquired this wonderful jacket from Monitor, and have been in touch with him about the pricing, and the sale--this is being passed on with his blessing! :)

Measurements:

Chest: 22
Sleeve: 26 1/2 (around the curve)
Shoulder: 20 1/2
Length: 25

Last edited:
I've never seen another Vanson with leather as beautiful as this - or similar for that matter. Just the look and the feel of the leather is completely different than the nice albeit admittedly slightly bit plasticy stuff they normally usually use. Completely natural would be the best way to describe it. Looking at it again, I'm tempted to just buy it back...

I think it may be a bit larger in the chest, though? I could be wrong, it's been a while...

willv

New in Town
Such good value..I refresh the classifieds here like 20 times a day looking to get my first leather jacket. I really would prefer something less-clearly a rider jacket (since I don't ride) but damn this is a great jacket for the price. Just gonna believe Monitor in that the chest is larger and that it won't fit me right ;)

I really want this jacket but some fit pics would be super helpful in determining if it'll work for me. This is a very, very good deal!

Such good value..I refresh the classifieds here like 20 times a day looking to get my first leather jacket. I really would prefer something less-clearly a rider jacket (since I don't ride) but damn this is a great jacket for the price. Just gonna believe Monitor in that the chest is larger and that it won't fit me right ;)

lol I just remember it so. Had this jacket before I knew how to properly measure clothes so what I said back then might be a bit off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner