Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Raid Fit

arguscanis

New in Town
I was at the factory a few time since Christmas. I found several examples of the same size jackets that fit just a bit differently from each other. Left with the impression that the QC is typical for the times.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Here's what the raid in size 38 looks like on me. I have a 43" chest, most of my jackets are size 42.

D981923E-31C5-4A0F-8EF7-3E5065832785.jpeg
9DB45ACA-3B7C-4575-A554-4748B1E52AB3.jpeg
5544F7C9-C281-4A95-A956-82EBB3FFB712.jpeg
D11F8BDF-9791-4262-8AC0-5BC7A6CEC30D.jpeg
6C3A062B-CAAA-436F-A93A-1042D9A7EE69.jpeg
12ABCEBD-8A23-4F4F-87D0-A1A88F5CD2F3.jpeg
0E5853EF-E13C-4DD8-9CC0-3CACB5F8FFA4.jpeg
61EBA428-B2F8-4965-8F38-24E1E11480CC.jpeg
EE40F0C8-9B8B-4517-89E6-8B81C78AB1FE.jpeg
A023B7E7-2EE3-4CC3-9DDB-16FC2901DC6D.jpeg

abone

A-List Customer
Marc,
It’s unbelievable how this pattern varies in size from one to another. Again, I called Nick at Vanson for direction and he told me the 42 would be too tight. Mind you, I should know better than listen to him as I’ve had prior experience with that dude. My other Vansons in 42 fit snug but perfect.
A 40 might be better but for sure the sleeves would be too short as usual.

abone

A-List Customer
Spoke to Jeff at Vanson this morning and he confirmed my jacket was made in 2016 for W&W in Germany and it’s comp weight.
It’s marked 42 but I’d say it’s closer to a 44.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Here’s some fit pics of my second attempt at the Gambler. You can see the sleeves are comically narrow. Like a shirt. I hate huge baggy sleeves but this is absurd.

View attachment 491546 View attachment 491547 View attachment 491547

You lifted too much weights. Athletic guys often find it harder to fit themselves properly into clothing designed for the average physique. It's a downside of being extraordinary. I bet if you gave them measuremnts for your chest, shoulders, biceps, forearms, and waist, they could fit you a lot better. Of course that would be a custom build and cost more, but I'm sure it would be worth it to nail the fit exactly how it needs to be for your form.

You lifted too much weights. Athletic guys often find it harder to fit themselves properly into clothing designed for the average physique. It's a downside of being extraordinary. I bet if you gave them measuremnts for your chest, shoulders, biceps, forearms, and waist, they could fit you a lot better. Of course that would be a custom build and cost more, but I'm sure it would be worth it to nail the fit exactly how it needs to be for your form.
Too much? Never enough and I’m still small. But in all honesty, the stock Vanson patterns are just better proportioned than the Thurston version IMO. Thurston really and quite drastically narrowed the sleeves and shoulders on what otherwise is a great pattern!

abone

A-List Customer
There’s definitely a happy place between stove pipe and vermicelli! This was too much the latter.
Maybe you’d like the one I bought. The arms are definitely stove pipe, maybe heavy crude pipe. I keep measuring the jacket hoping it shrinks, but it doesn’t.
It’s too bad because it’s a beaut and what I believe to be old school comp weight.

Maybe you’d like the one I bought. The arms are definitely stove pipe, maybe heavy crude pipe. I keep measuring the jacket hoping it shrinks, but it doesn’t.
It’s too bad because it’s a beaut and what I believe to be old school comp weight.
I had one in a 40” and it fit like a 42. The Raid and Arrow are different cuts. Thurston’s 44” Arrow (Gambler) fits like a tight 42”.

But yeah there’s a fine line with sleeves. Too bulbous and not bulbous enough are both bad!

abone

A-List Customer
I had one in a 40” and it fit like a 42. The Raid and Arrow are different cuts. Thurston’s 44” Arrow (Gambler) fits like a tight 42”.

But yeah there’s a fine line with sleeves. Too bulbous and not bulbous enough are both bad!
This is a Raid alright, and cut big. P2P at 24.25, and sleeves too wide. I called Vanson and they said it can be altered. I’m nervous about that but I suppose they’d do a good job. The jacket is like new, never been worn.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This is a Raid alright, and cut big. P2P at 24.25, and sleeves too wide. I called Vanson and they said it can be altered. I’m nervous about that but I suppose they’d do a good job. The jacket is like new, never been worn.

I know all of us have preferences, but I for one thing your Raider you purchased looks great, and I would wear it as-is without a second thought. I'd keep it...

abone

A-List Customer
I know all of us have preferences, but I for one thing your Raider you purchased looks great, and I would wear it as-is without a second thought. I'd keep it...
Thanks for that. Exactly what my wife said.
At least I can layer with this.
I like breaking a jacket in and seeing those arm creases develop. Not sure that will happen with this one. Oh well, stack up the weights on the curl bar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot