Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson tailoring? Any examples?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I bought my first Vanson, a Vanson Sattelite in glow in the dark "Solar" leather way back in my 20s. I still have it, but now that I'm a dad in my mid forties that size 40 Sattelite is a good two sizes too small. I can JUUST squeeze into a 44 now, and likely I'm a Vanson 46 at this point. OUCH!
So I'm working on de-dad-bodifying myself, and it's going great! Back on the bicycle, hitting the gym...

But I do think that it could prove neigh impossible to get back into a 40. A 44? Absolutely. A 42? Also pretty confident. A 40... I had a 39" chest and wore size 32/34" jeans back then... I'm just not so sure.

So I wanted to know if anyone has had Vanson size up an existing jacket for them. If so, I'd love to see pictures.

I have 3 in a 40, an Avenger, the solar Sat. and a Highwayman. Two of those aren't made anymore, so it's not like I can pick up new ones. I've seen some horrer stories, I'd really like to see some succesfull alterations. And also the horrer stories, both would be helpfull.

Here is the alterations pricing page.
https://www.vansonleathers.com/content/66-repairs-resizing

They add wedges under the arm and near as I can gather redo or replace the waist panels.

And here is a video where they add a stretch kevlar panel down each side of a set of race leathers.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Making a big jacket smaller is certainly doable, I have a tailor here in Berkeley who has shrunk down three leather jackets for me over the last few years.
But making a jacket bigger is probably more difficult than making a new jacket from scratch. And the current Vanson Comp. weight is nothing like the leather they were using 20 or even 10 years ago.
I will be curious to see if anybody here has done this before and if it was successful.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I contacted Vansons before and they are not the best in customer service. However, they do good work in the racing suits and jackets. AS stated in other post, making a jacket bigger can be a challenge. I do know a gent who works on racing motorcycle suits and jackets.
Here is his info:
Barnacle Bill's Racing Leather
He prefers using facebook to communicate . https://www.facebook.com/pages/cate...arnacle-Bills-Leather-Repair-130539737022206/

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Have any image.jpg pics of these jackets ?
Here are the two no longer made, I'm sure you all know the Highwayman, it's the rayon lined model, not the insulated one. I can dig it out of the closet if you'd like to see it.

The Avenger is the sport rider with the drop down panels in the front. It was made before the adjustable cobra waist or the ram air vents in the sleeves were standard. The Satellite is the air curtain sport rider, but they don't make that glow leather anymore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • 73F74CEA-0D6F-437B-80E1-4ECB0F82062D.jpeg
    73F74CEA-0D6F-437B-80E1-4ECB0F82062D.jpeg
    725 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I can't imagine this working.

Making a big jacket smaller is certainly doable, I have a tailor here in Berkeley who has shrunk down three leather jackets for me over the last few years.
But making a jacket bigger is probably more difficult than making a new jacket from scratch. And the current Vanson Comp. weight is nothing like the leather they were using 20 or even 10 years ago.
I will be curious to see if anybody here has done this before and if it was successful.

They specifically mention letting out jackets on there site. Here is the alterations pricing page.
https://www.vansonleathers.com/content/66-repairs-resizing

They add wedges under the arm and near as I can gather redo or replace the waist panels.

And here is a video where they add a stretch kevlar panel down each side of a set of race leathers.

I’m looking for examples where they’ve added leather to a jacket.

Oh! And I found a Challenger in a larger size to replace my Avenger, and I may have an angle on a trade for my Solar, I just need a facilitator in Las Vegas.

Does Fedora Lounge have a “facilitator’s list”? I’m a member of Bikeforums.com in the vintage bicycles group. A lot of times your grail bike in your size will come up for sale out of state, and Craigslisters don’t want to ship because of the dangers of scammers. So the forum made a list of trusted members in various cities. You send the payment to the facilitator, they pick up the bike and bring it to a bike shop. You then call the bike shop and have them pack and ship the bike and you pay by phone. It works on karma, you help out a member because you might need help in the future.

As I write it out, it sounds risky, but I’ve never heard of a member scamming another, and I’ve had someone ship a bike to me and it went great. It’s a great community with members on the site for years and years. Lots of in person group rides, too. So many of the senior members know each other in the real world.

I’ve been on here since 2016, but mostly lurking, and it seems like a similar type of crowd. A smallish community of enthusiasts in a pretty niche interest.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That sounds pretty cool then.

I was thinking from the perspective of how even with a suit you can only let it out so much and even that based on how much extra cloth the tailor left in. With leather you obviously can’t leave extra leather tucked in, but I hadn’t thought of expanding through Kevlar panels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider