Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Thunderbird fit

Xysterz

New in Town
I was wanting some advice on the Vanson Thunderbird fit, or Vanson fit's in general. I've been through a few motorcycle-style cross zips, and always found them to fit just a little bit 'wrong'. They've all been Schotts: 118, 519, 618, 613s. My main issue seems to be that either: The shoulders are too narrow; or the chest/torso is too boxy. The one that fit me best was the 519 in Small (which I still own). The shoulders are right and the jacket drapes pretty well, but I feel like the chest could be a little smaller. And it's a little too long. Overall still a wonderful jacket. But I was browsing on Vanson's site and noticed they allow some custom measurements. I've never owned any Vanson jackets, and was wondering how the Thunderbird fits. Also, does Vanson offer horse hide? I don't see it as a regular option on their site.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Vanson did horsehide at one time, and might again, but I don't think they offer it now, other than perhaps for special collaborations. But I honestly think that I like their comp weight cowhide best, even though the horse jackets I own from them are very, very good . Of course, their original comp weight can't be had anymore since 2017, either. But if I had to design a custom Vanson, their classic, old school comp weight is the leather I'd pick. The new comp weight isn't a bad leather either, but just not quite what the now legendary original comp weight was.

As far as fit goes, I'm no help on the Thunderbird model. But most Vanson jackets are either true to size or large on me to where I want to size down for the type of fit I want. It could be that I prefer a close, snug fit and not to wear bulky layers under my vanson jackets. But I find when they fit snug, they're like a second skin that disappears on me when I wear it, and if they're big enough to layer under, I'm always noticing how big it feels on me when I'm not wearing layers.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
IMO Vansons are the easiest jackets to buy, they mostly all fit the same and the leather is almost always good.
Like you i struggle to fit a Schott, they are usually to big in the waist or too tight in the shoulders, but i own around 15 Vansons, all in size 42 and they all fit well.

I don't agree with the view that only the old comp weight is worth buying, i have jackets from the late 80s up to late 2010 and all of them are decent leather. You can find good ones and not as good ones in every decade, some batches where better than others, but you can't say "all 90s comp weight was amazing" cause it's just not true.

All that to say, either try one on in a store, or just take a gamble and buy one used in your size and see how it fits, they can be had for pretty cheap used. Either way you won't regret it.

Lastly, unfortunately their current customer service is abysmal, i would personally never order from them anymore, but i still look for good used Vansosn online...
( if you end up with Nick as your contact, don't even bother he is the most useless man in America. And i mean the continent! )

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I don't agree with the view that only the old comp weight is worth buying, i have jackets from the late 80s up to late 2010 and all of them are decent leather. You can find good ones and not as good ones in every decade, some batches where better than others, but you can't say "all 90s comp weight was amazing" cause it's just not true.
This. There is no such thing as "old" and "new" CW-leather. There have been dozens of different versions over the decades, my collection stands proof to that. Were some nicer than others? Sure. Were all old good and all new bad? No.

If you have never owned a Vanson, you will likely be shocked by how sturdy and heavy they are; they are ridicoulously overbuilt and actually designed to take a slide on the pavement. You should probably see if you can find some store that stacks them to try them on before you committ blindly.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to be misconstrued on vanson's leather.

I never said that the new comp weight is worthless. I said I prefer the old comp weight.

The new stuff isn't bad, but it's thinner. Their website even says it's only 1.4mm now, vs 1.5mm. The tannery they used for years burned down and went out of business in 2017, they are definitely using different stuff now. Is that the only time they changed formula or source? I don't know, very possibly they have gone through multiple changes over their history. Was there a range of quality? Probably. Leather is a natural material, and it varies.

Vanson offers many leather options, my favorite being the one you can no longer obtain.

I liked their octagon too.

They still have good stuff and make a good product.

I can't comment on the customer service, but I've heard stories.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
i own around 15 Vansons, all in size 42 and they all fit well.
This has been my experience with Vanson as well. I own 5 of their jackets in size 46 and they all fit just how I like.
I would not recommend going custom with Vanson but rather try to find what size works best for you in their stock offerings.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to be misconstrued on vanson's leather.

I never said that the new comp weight is worthless. I said I prefer the old comp weight.

The new stuff isn't bad, but it's thinner. Their website even says it's only 1.4mm now, vs 1.5mm. The tannery they used for years burned down and went out of business in 2017, they are definitely using different stuff now. Is that the only time they changed formula or source? I don't know, very possibly they have gone through multiple changes over their history. Was there a range of quality? Probably. Leather is a natural material, and it varies.

Vanson offers many leather options, my favorite being the one you can no longer obtain.

I liked their octagon too.

They still have good stuff and make a good product.

I can't comment on the customer service, but I've heard stories.

I wasn't implying you had said that, i just know that if you search "Vanson comp weight" on TFL a lot of posts will come up saying the new Comp weight is all bad and one should not buy anything that isn't from the 90s, i just wanted to point out that wasn't true.

Regarding the thickness, thinner than what? My thickest comp weight is a modern 2016 jacket, my thinnest is a late 80s early label one, there has been thickness fluctuation since Vanson has been making jackets...

Agreed with the takes on the hide. I love me CW. That said, Vanson wasn’t too pleased with the hide they were receiving post-fire and were actively trying to source something else. I don’t know if they actually did or the post-fire tannery got it right or what. But at least in their eyes, it could have been better during that short window. I still liked it, like I said, I love me CW. Tough, yeoman-type hide- that will get beautiful.

Xysterz

New in Town
Thanks for all of the info, and especially the insights on the (lack of) customer service. I noticed Thurston Bors has some Vanson customizations. Would that be a better option?

I'll definitely be on the look-out for a used one to try.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
It's a jacket, not rocket science, even though people on this forum (me included 100%!) make it seem that way sometimes. I had only pleasant experiences with Vansons customer service. You're not taking any big risks here. Call Vanson, give them your measurements, ask for advice, order whatever size they suggest. You like it, you keep it. You don't, you send back. Sucks for them but that risk is priced in when you run an online shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21