Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Thunderbird or Schott 618

Ridedeluxehd

New in Town
Well, Not sure how to ask this, but.

I am really looking at a new cycle jacket and would like your input. I was first looking at the Schott 618 Steerhide http://www.schottnyc.com/products/l...sic-perfecto-steerhide-leather-motorcycle.htm , then moved to the Horse. Had a Schott Horse and didn't like the Horsehide backing they use sooo> I read (maybe on here) Vanson is the real deal motorcycle jackets.

After review of there crappy website I really to like the Thunderbird jacket and would like you input.http://hellforleathermagazine.com/positions/fldtst/ray-lyt.html I am torn between the Schott and the Vanson. I would like a real high quality jacket, but am not really interested in Lang's. I would really like to visit up there someday and get measured, but the wait is kinda crazy.

So does anyone have pictures of the Thunderbird or the like. I would love to see better pictures than they have on their website. Thanks I really do what to get this purchase right!

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Last that I knew the Schott Horsehide had the backing that just thickens it up a bit. Is this still correct? I do like the idea of horse thou

Some years ago yes, now it seems they discontinued it. My CAF2 doesn't feel "overthicken" but average horse thickness...I think they did it because when it was introduced most of the customers thought that horse was thicker and more rigid than steer...which is weird.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Vanson's competition weight cowhide is the thickest leather I've ever seen or worn.
If you actually ride, you'll feel totally confident that it'll protect you in a fall.
It's like wearing a suit of armor.
I think my Enfield could stop a small caliber bullet!
But be forewarned, it'll take years to break in.
It is beautiful stuff, though.
Every Vanson I've ever had has been a great fit, and finished perfectly.
Lenny

ron521

One of the Regulars
One thing to bear in mind regarding the Schott, the pattern for the 618 runs a little small, so according to Schott themselves, "order one size larger than your regular size". I used to have a 618 and a 42 was an ok fit on my usually-wears-a-40 frame. I ended up selling it primarily because of its 24 inch length, which works all right for riding, but for anything off a motorcycle, it felt too short when worn with regular (not low rise) jeans. I bought a Schott 141, which I like much better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana