Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veg tan help

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know where I might be able to source a sample of hh or cow veg-tan, or a veg re-tan sample. I keep reading conflicting info on which tannage was prevalent pre-50's, chrome or veg (or veg re-tan).
If any member has a sample they could spare (or loan) I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to experience first hand what it feels like compared to chrome tan.

On a side note, since retiring I have been casting about for a 'hobby' to occupy myself. After reading Fishmeok's very interesting posts I've been fiddling with my wife's sewing machine. I may see about sourcing a used industrial or semi-industrial machine and just have at it for my "ultimate" custom jacket. Anyway, dear wife says it will keep me from rioting and other nefarious activities. :)

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Does anyone know where I might be able to source a sample of hh or cow veg-tan, or a veg re-tan sample. I keep reading conflicting info on which tannage was prevalent pre-50's, chrome or veg (or veg re-tan).
If any member has a sample they could spare (or loan) I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to experience first hand what it feels like compared to chrome tan.

According to this thread, Aero's mid-weight horsehide is veg tanned. You might want to contact them to see if they would be kind enough to send you a sample.

On a side note, since retiring I have been casting about for a 'hobby' to occupy myself. After reading Fishmeok's very interesting posts I've been fiddling with my wife's sewing machine. I may see about sourcing a used industrial or semi-industrial machine and just have at it for my "ultimate" custom jacket. Anyway, dear wife says it will keep me from rioting and other nefarious activities. :)

Sounds like fun. Good luck!

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Thank you Phil. I must say, when looking at Mr. Chapman's HH veg tan jackets the leather appears to have softer or warmer tones than I've seen in many pictures of HH chrome tannage. His browns also seem to lean more towards a rich even single tone as opposed to brown horse hides which show undertones beneath an overspray(?). I do like the look of his leather. I look forward to handling quality veg-tan HH at some point to see if it feels as good as it looks.

Last edited:

kojax

Practically Family
i just got the real mccoy a-2 jacket dark brown horeshide . i wonder what process they use for there horsehide does anybody know i know the leather has alot of grain in it . thanks kojax

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thank you Phil. I must say, when looking at Mr. Chapman's HH veg tan jackets the leather appears to have softer or warmer tones than I've seen in many pictures of HH chrome tannage. His browns also seem to lean more towards a rich even single tone as opposed to brown horse hides which show undertones beneath an overspray(?). I do like the look of his leather. I look forward to handling quality veg-tan HH at some point to see if it feels as good as it looks.

Remind me: does Mr. Chapman work for Eastman? I have trouble remembering who works for whom.

Hankh

Familiar Face
Dear Bonneville,

Bought some wallets and belts from Scott Willis, Springville Utah U.S.
Very friendly high-school teacher always willing to share his wealth on leather and Singer sewing machines info.
He's a HH afficianado and probably more than willing to send you some left-over pieces. He uses lots of veg-tanned Horween leather.
Have a look at:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?48554-5-oz.-veg-tanned-horsebutt....but-not-a-jacket!

Some will correct me if I'm wrong, before 1942/43 most Alpha-2 jackets were made of veg-tanned HH.

Let me know if it works out.
Regards from NL,
Henk

Last edited:

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Veg Tan

Thank you very much Henk I do appreciate your help.

Phil, Mr. Chapman is Good Wear (or Goodwear) leather jackets.
Really nice product.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I have a Cheyenne in mid-weight HH and have seen the leather that John uses at Goodwear.

The leather is MUCH softer and easier to break in than the chrome tanned (at least Aero's). I believe you are correct that the leather color is a deeper tone, which is probably due to the tanning process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR