Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vendors for making trousers from a vintage pattern

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Can anyone recommend an online vendor who will make a pair of trousers from an original, uncut 1950's pattern supplied by a customer (in this case, me)? Thank you.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Norwegian FL member Qirrel offers trouser making on his Etsy page. Have a look at one of his posts: there is a link to the page.

I have used Spencers http://www.spencers-trousers.com/ for about 15 years. They offer a copying service and I am sure they could work directly from your pattern. They do not charge an additional fee for shipping outside the UK.

Good luck

D

Deleted member 16736

How do your Spencers trousers compare in terms of quality and service?

Last edited by a moderator:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
How do your Spencers trousers compare in terms of quality and service?

In terms of service, they have been very good. I can telephone them, place an order and receive the trousers within one week. On the occasions that errors have been made in cutting the trousers they have happily accpeted them back and rectified the problem. They are always very approachable.

In terms of quality, i don't really have anything to compare them to. I haven't worn shop bought trousers since the 1990s and have worn Spencers nearly every day in that period. Obviously some fabrics have worn better than others but I always order the heaviest fabrics. One pair of Bedford Cord trousers (that they made for me circa 2000) have just been consigned to the recycling pile. They were my favourite winter trouser for many long years, but the crotch had finally worn out. I have never had problems wiith stitching and seams coming undone. Buttons don't fall off. If i had to pick out faults: the catch they use for fastening at the waistband could be stronger (that said the one on my Bedford Cords did last until last autumn). Sometimes they cut the trousers slightly tighter than the pattern - sometimes slightly looser. But, like I said, if it's a problem, they happily accept returns.
They wouldn't compare to top-end vintage tailoring, but I think they might compare well to some of the cheaper vintage clothing. And, for the price, they certainly compare very well to most modern high-street clothing.

Out of interest: Spencers told me that they hold patterns for trousers they used to make dating back to the 1920s. It might be possible to ask them to make a pair for you using one of those patterns. It might be worth chatting to them about what you want.

D

Deleted member 16736

I just wrote Spencers. I'll see what they say and report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL