Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Very) Little About Robert Benchley.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Below you'll find photographs, and a few words from, Robert Benchley who, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated (and nearly forgotten) humorists of the early Twentieth Century. Robert wrote humor for Vanity Fair, beginning in 1914, until he gave up writing for good in 1943.
He wrote a small collection of books, had a radio show, and did bit parts in a few movies. He also made a number of short subjects for; Fox, RKO, M-G-M, Paramount, and one titled, I'm a Civilian Here Myself, for the U.S. Navy. His most well-known short film was How To Sleep, which earned him an Acaemy Award. He often attended the Algonquin Round Table.

Robert was notoriously late sending in his articles, and would send excuses by telegram. Some of my favorites are:

"Am in Detriot inspecting new Packard Engines."
"Am in Florida judging Orange Blossom Festival."
"Am in New Mexico being inducted into Indian tribe."
"Am in Boston. I don't know why, but it must be important because here I am."
He sent these and several others within minutes of each other. His editor finally wired back, "Gather you haven't finished the piece."

This first photo is, "A series of parody screen test shots, or, How to Get Expression with a Derby Hat."
dscn0104.jpg

This one is titled, The Boulevardier. (There's a term you don't hear anymore.)
dscn0105.jpg

I copied these from Robert Benchley: A Biography by Nathaniel Benchley, and just re-read the first page. I hope you'll indulge me in sharing some of my favorite classic humor by way of re-printing it here:

One day, while Robert Benchley was scanning a pile of newspapers in searh of something to write, he came across a report from the American Psychiatric Association, listing the primary symptoms of dementia praecox, or schitzophenia. He almost didn't read it, but one of the symtoms caught his eye, and with growing horror he read the entire list, then put down the paper and went out for a long walk. When, two days later, he returned, he sat down and made his own list, showing how he qualified on the various counts. A slightly abridged version of the symtoms and his comments:

(1) "Defective Judgement." Well, I could keep you here all night giving you examples of my defective judgement that would make your blood curdle. I couldn't even judge a sack-race. On this count I qualify hands down.
(2) "Retarded Perception." I didn't even know that the fleet was in until I read Time ten days later.
(3) "Restrictions in the Field of Perception." My attention can be held only by strapping me down to a cot and sitting on my chest. Even then my eyes wander.
(4) "Silly Laughter." I hold the Interscholastic (New England), Intercolligiate, East Coast Amateur and Open Professional cups for silly laughter. I laugh at anything except a French clown. You can't be sillier than that.
(5) "Lack of Skill in Motor Performance." I was asked to surrender my license while driving an old Model T Ford in 1915 because I could not co-ordinate in time to press the clutch at just the right moment. I also had a little trouble with "right" and "left." Next to "silly laughter," "lack of skill in motor performance" is my forte.
(6) "Stupor." We need not go into this. The last thing I remember clearly is that elaborate parade for Admiral Dewey under the arch at Twenty-third Street. There are hundreds of people willing to bet that I have never had my eyes open. I have no proof to the contrary.

According to the next paragraph, "Some of this was exagerated, but not as much as might be supposed."

You can find more information on him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Benchley

I was introduced to Robert Benchley's humor by a high school algebra teacher, Mr. Fox. Wherever you are, Mr. Fox, thank you, and I hope you're still enjoying Robert Benchley's humor.

Lee

In case you were wondering: Robert Benchley begat Nathaniel Benchley, who begat Peter Benchley, who begat Jaws.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My brother and I read something about him when we were youngsters and became more interested. I hadn't seen the derby pictures, however. Actually, I live on a boulevard (growing up part-Cajun I pronounce it booleyvar) but haven't seen many boulevardiers around for several years, and even then they were farther down the way. Cute new avatar, but I miss your old one already.

My mother introduced me to Robert Benchley. I adore him! I have most of his books. One of my favorite's from one of them is the Life of a Newt. (or something similar. I forget the exact title)
I love the "How to Sleep" short and have a copy of it on VHS that came with "New Moon".
He is also in my favorite movie "The Major and the Minor" The scene where Ginger Rogers gives him an egg shampoo is wonderful!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Which begat Spielberg as a big name, in turn.

lol

I guess I hadn't taken the lineage far enough. lol Thank you, DB, for reminding me.

Last night, after starting this thread, I went to Amazon and ordered Mr. B, a $120.00 book about Benchley. I got it for $20.76 plus shipping. I also ordered a DVD with fourteen of his short films. :)
I think "How To Sleep" may be the only one I've seen, but it's been so long I can't remember. :rolleyes:

Lee

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've seen several of his shorts. His first was "The Sex Life of the Polyp", 1929. This was considered HIGHLY scandalous in that primitive time. I've also seen a couple of his Joe Doakes films. He was a charter member of the famous Algonquin Hotel Round Table. Funny funny man.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A slim and often overlooked paperback, Benchley Lost & Found, contains some of his early 1930s pieces written for various magazines, which have a strange, deadpan, semi-formal funniness to them. You'll have fun puzzling out the various period references.

A somewhat sobering (ironically for its subject) biography is Laughter's Gentle Soul (1997), which details his private life, including his unquenchable taste for adult beverages and just-barely-so chorus girls.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
Any recommendations for a Benchley book or anthology?

There are a number of books that contain his articles. Personally, I have: The Early Worm, Benchley Beside Himself, Chips off the Old Benchley, After 1903 - What?, and two copies of My Ten Years in a Quandary and How They Grew. (My sister gave me the second one.) Most are first editions.

There are several others, so ask your local used book seller if they do searches. You can sometimes find first editions at reasonable prices.

You can also go to Amazon.com and order from there. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Robert Benchley&index=blended&page=1

Lee

"Thus in our whole body, there are perhaps (six times seven is forty-two, five times eight is forty, put down naught and carry your four, eight times nine is seventy-two and four is seventy-six, put down six and carry your seven and then, adding, six, four, three, one, six, naught, naught, naught, naught), oh, about a billion or so of these red corpuscles alone, not counting overhead and breakage." - Robert Benchley (Pluck and Luck)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Thankfully, some of Benchley's short films are making their way onto DVD. The Thin Man Goes Home features the RB short "Why Daddy?", The kid who (poorly) played Nick Charles, Jr. in Shadow of the Thin Man is Benchley's foil here.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
My copy of "Mr. B" or Comforting Thoughts About the Bison - A Critical Biography of Robert Benchley, by Wes D. Gehring, arrived today. :)
I'm looking forward to some good reading.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner