Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very reasonably price motorcycle sweaters!

Edward

Bartender
Spotted these last week, but did not want to post until I had received mine and could comment fully on quality.

I bought two motorcycle sweaters from a business called Moto Legends - www.motolegends.com. In a roundabout way this was actually due to the enablers at the Fedora Lounge(!). The company used to do a nice repro of the Macgregor AntiFreeze (alas no longer available), and with the Jimmy Dean jacket threat cropping up again I idly perused their website after following the link in that discussion. Came across these two Norton branded jumpers. The first is a traditional zip-neck motorcycle sweater, in blue and white:

NRT210_1.jpg

Product code: NRT210

Not pure wool for those to whom this matters: it's a Merino Wool and Acrylic Mix. Feels like the real thing, mind. It's not quite as good as that French company who make a whole range of these in wool, but at full price it is significantly cheaper than them. On sale, at GBP £29.99 (that's currently about USD45) it's a no-brainer, IMO.

The other one I picked up was this:

NRT211_1.jpg

http://www.motolegends.com/casual-clothing/norton-set-in-sleeve-jumper.html

Same Fabric, down to less than half price - GBP34.99.

Nice slim fit, I think I'll easily be able to wear one of these between an undershirt and one of my neater leather, such as the Aero 30s Halfbelt.

Edward

Bartender
Further information - I just looked inside mine, and there is a label which reads "50% wool, 50% acrylic", so that's the mix (I couldn't find it on the website).

If they only had Velocette sweaters.

Yeah, it's a pity they don't have more designs. If they were only going to have the one, I'd have thought Triumph would be the obvious British bike name, but then this is the sale section, so it's possible they had others that sold out already. There's a French business comes to Rhythm Riot every year, does a huge range of the zip-up type for around GBP100 - I think I've seen a Velocette in their line. Wish I could remember the company name, as they have a website. If I do, I'll post it...

Mr Badger

Practically Family
There's a French business comes to Rhythm Riot every year, does a huge range of the zip-up type for around GBP100 - I think I've seen a Velocette in their line. Wish I could remember the company name, as they have a website. If I do, I'll post it...

Ah, you're thinking of Deluxe Jersey, Edward... I've handled their sweaters at the awesome Duke Shop in Paris and they're terrific!

BTW, I plumped for what was sized as the '44' fitting Norton zip-neck sweater, and found it slightly large (I'd say it actually measures 46"-47" under the arms) and not as close fitting as I'd like... however, a hot hand wash shrank it approx 5% all over, and tightened up the weave somewhat, guess that's the 50% acrylic & 50% wool mix in action right there! They are really nice for £30, but I wish I'd gone for the one marked '42' instead, as I'd like it pretty close fitting, along the lines of my vintage varsity sweater or five-button US Army pullover...

Edward

Bartender
Where can I get one of these?

54e9c1cb6193c6ca410c228867f0358c.jpg

I love the gaiters that guy at the front/right is wearing over his boots - at the latest those must have been WW1 - which would have been cheap surplus, I imagine, at the time this photo was taken. AS to the sweatwers they're wearing... I've never seen a repro of one of those for sale, but it looks like the sort of thing somebody somewhere must have a pattern for. I'd be very surprised if these weren't home-knit.

The best quality, pure materials, and made in the good ol' USofA can be found right here: http://libertymotorwear.com/

They're the best I've ever seen in person & tried on (& no, I dont own the shop or anything).

Those look great. Pricewise they're about the same as the Deluxe Jersey items (if they're the equal of those, they're great!), though shipping and import taxes would whack that up very considerably over here. One to check out when I'm next gonig to be in the US, maybe.

Ah, you're thinking of Deluxe Jersey, Edward... I've handled their sweaters at the awesome Duke Shop in Paris and they're terrific!

That's the one! Always blank on that name for some reason. I have my eye on buying a couple of those at Rhythm Riot this year. Not sure which, yet, though I do like the Hollister TT one on the site currently (it amuses me no end that there's a trendy fashion label these days with that name, when for me it means first and foremost the Hollister Incident...).

BTW, I plumped for what was sized as the '44' fitting Norton zip-neck sweater, and found it slightly large (I'd say it actually measures 46"-47" under the arms) and not as close fitting as I'd like... however, a hot hand wash shrank it approx 5% all over, and tightened up the weave somewhat, guess that's the 50% acrylic & 50% wool mix in action right there! They are really nice for £30, but I wish I'd gone for the one marked '42' instead, as I'd like it pretty close fitting, along the lines of my vintage varsity sweater or five-button US Army pullover...

I'm really happy with mine. Not had to wash them yet - I hope they don't shrink significantly, as they're about right as they are for me.... suppose I'll find out in due course! I tend to handwash this sort of thing by steeping in Woolite overnight and a cold rinse before drip drying, so heat should be an issue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran