vicenza horsehide or badalassi cowhide?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by maikeru81, Apr 3, 2021.

1. maikeru81

maikeru81 New in Town

I will be ordering an Aero August and am having a hard time deciding which leather to choose.
    I don't need a heavy jacket for warmth as live in a subtropical climate. Chilly in the winter, but never freezing. Both leathers look good in the pics, but as of now am leaning towards the badalassi.

2. nickv

nickv Familiar Face

I have never seen or handled Badalssi, but am very happy with both my Vinceza jackets. One is Dark seal the other Blackened Browned. From my experience withese two jackets, i would say the Dark seal vincenza feels and has worn slightly more softer,flexible in wear than my blackened brown due to the the top coat of an extra layer of dye. Food for thought if you head down this direction.

3. maikeru81

maikeru81 New in Town

thank you nicky,
    appreciate the reply. if i go for the Vicenza, I was thinking Seal

4. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

Having tried both I would go for Badalassi without a shadow of a doubt. I was not impressed in the slightest by the Vicenza leather I have handled. However, the Badalassi on my Aero jacket that I had was gorgeous. I liked the temper of it more (felt more firm which I liked), much richer color, deeper and more varied color as well. The grain was also more interesting and varied on the Badalassi, which is wild considering that it's cowhide and the Vicenza is horse. To me, Badalassi is in an entirely different league from Vicenza.

58panheadfan likes this.
  5. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

+1 I own both. One Vicenza and 5 Badalassi and was even thinking about a #6

6. maikeru81

maikeru81 New in Town

I am definitely leaning toward the tobacco Badalassi. I want a rich colored brown and the tobacco looks to fit the bill. Thanks for your input It is very helpful.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  7. Jasonindenver

Jasonindenver Familiar Face

I have a vicenza and dark seal and love it.

I also had a fit jacket in Badalassi and liked it as well. I might have gone for it if they had a darker colored leather. It is definitely stiffer and noisier (finish coat squeaks a bit) but I understand that this goes away in a few weeks/months.

After three weeks, my vicenza is starting to soften up quite nicely.

If it is a concern, the badalassi did seem to repel water much better than the vicenza. I did a test on the sample swatches of all leather I received - not on the fit jacket.

8. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

I own both. Black vicenza and tobacco badalassi.
    The vicenza is from a heavier and grainer batch (2016). I've realised that the current batches are lighter and less interesting regarding grain and texture. Mine was equally heavy and thick as the CXL FQHH they used, though much softer and suppler. Nice grain and drape.
    My badalassi is thinner and lighter but quite stiffer. Amazing colour depth and variation. Much more interesting as leather though it is squeaky.

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  9. dark wood

dark wood One of the Regulars

I have a couple Vicenza jackets. I was initially unimpressed with the leather of my first one (russet) - it felt a little dry. But I have treated it a couple times and now it has broken in and I love it. My other is blackened brown and it has been soft and supple from the get go. I have a third on order in seal. I thought about tobacco badalassi, and the sample showed it to be lovely, but I like the seal color a little better. And I’ve heard ppl say the Badalassi is squeaky which I don’t think I’d find desirable. But they both seem like fantastic mid-weight leathers.

10. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I have one Vicenza jacket, a Type III in blackened brown. It is a very easy hide to wear, it draped beautifully right out of the box. I do find it to be a bit plain and boring when it comes to grain and texture though. I have not seen Badalassi in person but the photos look amazing and if I were in the market for another Aero this would probably be my choice.

11. andyone

andyone One of the Regulars

I haven't handled Badalassi.

These is the recent batch of black Vicenca from Aero:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. oskar

oskar One of the Regulars

Badalassi +1

Its not even close

ton312 and dudewuttheheck like this.
  13. David r

David r New in Town

A bit of a thread resurrection.

I’m in a similar position to the OP, I have a Premier Highwayman ordered and just need to choose my leather. The choice is down to Badalassi and Seal Vicenza. Of the samples I have the Badalassi, is more shiny, has more grain and colour variation which I like.

does anyone have any photos of what tobacco Badalassi looks like once it’s been broken in, as I’ve only been able to see photos of new leather and I’d like to see how it ages.

14. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

@David r Id say the sleeves and the front bottom third is well broken in for this 6 month old Tobacco Badalassi Bootlegger

IMG_2097.jpg

15. David r

David r New in Town

Thanks very much, it looks fantastic

16. Jedy617

Jedy617 Familiar Face

Definitely badalassi. Greater depth of color and grain to me. I was going to do russet vicenza based on feel, but the badalassi looked so much more vibrant, and the jacket does feel nice. This is a nice close up of my russet. Squeak is down quite a lot too after a few months of light wear. Also just a personal thing, but I really like knowing the tannery the leather came from, as opposed to vicenza, but I am a leather geek.

badalassi1.jpg

Jin431 and Imuricecreamman like this.
  17. maikeru81

maikeru81 New in Town

Thanks for showing. That really looks nice. I am looking hard at the Tobacco Badalassi

Jedy617 and Jin431 like this.
  18. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

@Jedy617 @maikeru81 @David r

If you guys weren't aware, black badalassi is being offered for a test batch of jackets to see if it will be a staple offering

Jedy617 and Psant25 like this.
  19. ton312

ton312

I've got a black to brown vic HB due tomorrow. I've only had one other vic jacket. It's very easy to wear. To me it's a bit similar to 5 Star's house brand cowhide. Flat, grainy (printed?) and somewhat dull. I'd be much more excited if the jacket I'm getting tomorrow were bad-assey. From what I can tell it blows vic away...no contest.

Jin431, Psant25 and Jedy617 like this.