Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victoria Beckham, has gone all 1940s on us

Mike K.

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
That's just absurd. She's really not very skinny. Given the Spice Girls tour she's just been on, she's likely to have been working out a lot, but still, not scary skinny at all. I don't understand the spite towards slim people.
I'll second that one BK!!
What's wrong with everyone in the world today? The larger people proclaim that big is beautiful, while society & science espouse the dangers of being overweight. Concurrently, smaller people proclaim that thin is sexy while society & science frown upon it too as being unhealthy. What's the middle ground?! Sure there are definite unhealthy extremes, but we must also remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We must also consider that people are built differently, and that a small-framed person often weighs considerably less than a similar-sized person with a larger frame. Victoria Beckham is about 5'4" tall. I've known women the same size, one of whom was 115lbs and the other 150lbs - neither would've been considered too thin or too heavy because their builds were entirely different.

Rather than being judgemental, I think we should applaud Mrs. Beckham's sense of Golden Era style for this photo shoot. Wouldn't it be nice if more celebrities promoted classic style!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Given the Spice Girls tour she's just been on, she's likely to have been working out a lot...

She has always said she doesn't work out, and is even quoted in the artcle in question as saying she can't bring herself to put on a pair of flat shoes in order to use the gym.

She is super thin because she follows an extremely strict diet, again by her own admission. I have no problem with her thin ness. But to say she isn't very skinny when she is purportedly a size 00 at 5'6, is ridiculous.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Fletch said:
I want to know what people would say if a MAN in her position adopted a 40s image.

I don't think the media would let him.

that seems a silly thing to say, why ever not?

Edward

Bartender
Bearing in mind that the camera adds ten pounds.....

Fleur De Guerre said:
I just feel very sorry for her. She seems utterly miserable all the time and if you ever see her filmed, it's painfully obvious that she is constantly, completely paranoid of how she appears. She is always presenting a 'face' and is never relaxed or natural. Just the way she holds herself, speaks, poses, turned to present her 'best' angle. It's so fake. Money can't buy you happiness. I would never want her fame and the problems that go with it.

You're more charitable than I tend to be, I fear. Really, I'm trying to be less negative / judgemental / whatever of others, but there's something about Victoria Beckham.... it's not so much a personal thing, it's more that she represents so much of what disgusts me about contemporary culture: vacuosness, celebration of a lack of any discernable talent, fame for fame's sake.... I find it rather tasteless the way she appears to market the "Beckham brand" so aggressively also. Still, she's very far from alone in those stakes. She's also far from being the worst offender in the "anorexia-chic" stakes - possibly just one of the more visible.

I suppose i just don't get recent celebrity "culture." The Spice Girls, X Factor, Americal Idol, Big Brother - it's all one and the same. Ghastly.

Tifa

Familiar Face
Seems like she’s the kind of person people like or dislike but I’m just like [huh]
when it comes to her, what she wears or how skinny she is.
She looks beautiful in the picture though!
Too bad she won’t be seen like that more than in this issue I guess..

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Bearing in mind that the camera adds ten pounds.....

You're more charitable than I tend to be, I fear. Really, I'm trying to be less negative / judgemental / whatever of others, but there's something about Victoria Beckham.... it's not so much a personal thing, it's more that she represents so much of what disgusts me about contemporary culture: vacuosness, celebration of a lack of any discernable talent, fame for fame's sake.... I find it rather tasteless the way she appears to market the "Beckham brand" so aggressively also. Still, she's very far from alone in those stakes. She's also far from being the worst offender in the "anorexia-chic" stakes - possibly just one of the more visible.

I suppose i just don't get recent celebrity "culture." The Spice Girls, X Factor, Americal Idol, Big Brother - it's all one and the same. Ghastly.

Right on, Edward!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Story

I'll Lock Up
So has David Beckham

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=537168&in_page_id=1773

From a Pepsi commercial -

ThierryHeny_468x276.jpg

Edward

Bartender
What does he do in the ad? (video no longer available message when I clicked). Is it a pardoy, or part of a tie in cross-over marketing campaign linked to the new Jones film? Interesting looking bush hat on Beckham there - looks a size or two big, but perhaps it's just the brim is a little wide on him? It's clearly not a dead ringer for what's on screen, but close enough that it evokes the pop culture reference.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Fletch said:
I want to know what people would say if a MAN in her position adopted a 40s image.

I don't think the media would let him.

I think the media would eat that up! (Keeping in mind that harsh criticism is what sells best.) I don't know that a stylist would let him.

I think Beckham looks lovely. I'm not a fan of hers, but I think Vogue was a good move. Regardless of whether or not everyone loves her, everyone seems to have something to say about her. Interesting.

Also...really, aren't her eating habits her own business? The skinny-hatin' comments have always struck a nerve with me personally, considering that I get them everyday. It's really not a nice position to be in.

Story

I'll Lock Up
gluegungeisha said:
The skinny-hatin' comments have always struck a nerve with me personally, considering that I get them everyday. It's really not a nice position to be in.

Sugar, you can eat (or not eat) whatever floats your bannana split. :pizza:

mister7

Familiar Face
Just for the record, the only proven way to live longer is to severely restrict your food intake. This has been proven in both animals and people.

Not saying that is the way to go, personally I enjoy food too much! But those who crack on people who aren't 20 lbs. overweight might consider their remarks misdirected.

By the way, I find Ms. Beckham stunning!

Liz

I think she looks great in the photo. She always was my favorite Spice Girl!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think she looks great. I think she might be naturally skinny, but I also know she's open about how careful she is with what she eats, just like Madonna is open about it.

Women who aren't underweight have a tendency to compare themselves with the skinny chicks in the mags/on tv. I think it's just a defense mechanism. Personally, although I'm tall and my weight is right where it ought to be on the chart, I always feel like I could/should be thinner, or anyway that I would love to be that thin for a day, just to see what it's like.

Course, my very thin friend with (IMHO) a really amazing body says she wished she had T&A like mine, so I guess the grass is always greener! lol

Edward

Bartender
Well, now, there's the thing. What suits one dosn't always suit another; if we all ate sensibly and exercised a bit, we'd all end up the eight nature intended us to be, hatever that might be. Aesthetic tastes will always be different, too... isn't that what makes it a fun world? ;)

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I much prefer Ginger Spice when she was voluptuous. Not that I find any of these celebs particularly worthy of our attention...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24