Vintage Adam Smoke Grey Fedora 7 1/2

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by jazzncocktails, Jul 7, 2020.

1. jazzncocktails

jazzncocktails A-List Customer

SOLD.

I haven’t been on the Fedora Lounge for a bit; nice to see the changes to the site!

I’m doing some cleaning out of shelves, and I have half a couple of fedoras that I haven’t worn for years, so I’m adding to the classifieds page for anyone interested.

Vintage Adam Smoke Grey Fedora 7 1/2
    I won an auction on the Fedora Lounge of NOS fedoras way back in 2009 or so, and the result was this 1940s (?) fedora with thin ribbon in a smoky grey. Since it was NOS, I am the only wearer. I bashed the lid once and never altered it. Sadly, the 7 1/2 was always way too big for my 7 3/8 head, and spacers never helped. As a result, it has been in storage for years.

The felt is in perfect shape—never visited by a moth, rust, or mold—and it still stiff like a new fedora back in the 40s. There is one defect, though. When I was trying to fit it, I made the mistake of taking it in to a local hat shop, where the clerk promptly slapped an adhesive hat spacer on the leather hat band; I wasn’t fast enough to stop her. The result, when I pulled off the adhesive as carefully as I could, was some damage to the leather, pictured below.

I won the auction for over $200 (it was in support of the Fedora Lounge site, as I recall, so to a good cause). Given the damage to the hat band, I’m offering it here for $100 plus shipping. PayPal or Zelle.

B17A5A5C-C2B9-429A-82E1-9E8028FDB12D.jpeg
    B1A308C8-A8EB-4DD4-982D-CF96B6A57341.jpeg
    C9A82D57-F0FA-4AE0-A15B-7C24A3F09DE8.jpeg
    8FD8A441-1AA8-4C2B-A1A4-7A96B78892B2.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Beautiful! How wide is the brim?

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I was going to grab this one but Daniel accepted my offer on the brown Borsa so not enough money in the hat account for both.

M Hatman and deadlyhandsome like this.
  4. deadlyhandsome

It’s so hard for me to judge brims in photos. With my big head anything less than 2 5/8” doesn’t work for me unless I’m wanting a stingy. 2 3/4 to 2 7/8 is my preferred fedora brim width, and 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 is my western sweet spot.

5. jazzncocktails

This hat’s brim is 2 5/8” exactly.

6. DaveProc

DaveProc A-List Customer

If this hasn't sold I would like to purchase it.

7. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Just now saw this........Missed again.......:(;):)

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  8. deadlyhandsome

Hmmm...if only you had a hat to trade for it. :)

9. M Hatman

Did you get this Brent?
    Hmmmm, yes, indeed..........

10. M Hatman

And in my disappointment......I forgot to let you know what a very nice hat for a very reasonable price.......someone will be very pleased I am sure!! 2 5/8 brim is great for a fedora!

11. M Hatman

Oh, and that story about the sales girl.....well I really cringed......what the hell was she thinking......even on new hats.....the sizing strips go behind the sweat.....so....again....WTF was she on??? AND doing that to a vintage hat....well.....

That story needs to be promoted in some sticky thread somewhere with other such stories to show people all so called "hat shops" are NOT EQUAL!!!

source.gif

12. jazzncocktails

I can’t tell you how horrified I was to realize she’d done that...not to mention what it was like to peel the strip off of the leather band. Cue shrieking violin music from Halloween. Last time I stepped foot in that shop.

jonesy86, deadlyhandsome and M Hatman like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, that was my first thought.....how the hell did she get a job in a hat shop in the first place?

jonesy86, deadlyhandsome and M Hatman like this.
  14. The Shoe

The Shoe One of the Regulars

I need to get into the habit of checking the classifieds every day. I too may well have scratched together the money for this had I seen it in time.
    Congratulations Brent.

15. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ah yes, the one that got away.

M Hatman, deadlyhandsome and Tukwila like this.