Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage advertisements?

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I guess one reason I've always been attracted to vintage advertisements is that my dad studied advertising in the 40's. Although he never went into it full time, he did do a bit of freelancing and I remember him being at the drawing board with his airbrush quite a bit when I was a kid. When dad died in '95 we found some of the watercolors he had taken up in later years but I didn't find any of the stuff I remembered from when I was a kid.
About a year after I was cleaning out the garage of the house I'd inherited from my folks, where I'd been living since I was a kid, and found a suitcase full of his early art projects. Two of them hang in my kitchen now. Unfortunately these scans don't do justice to the amount of detail in them. I have an enormous amount of respect for those old admen and illustrators who did everything by hand. It's pretty much a lost art these days.
drwesQuicke-mailview.jpg

CopyofsunbeamadQuicke-mailview.jpg

Last edited:

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Just found this one on Boing Boing. It looks like a parody but this is an actual ad that ran during WW2 when industries were stopping production of their normal products and gearing up for wartime manufacturing.
2afh72u1Standarde-mailview.jpg

A couple more Japanese ads

Chuyo Cigarettes, 1900

drink_smoke_3.jpg

Sakura Beer, ca. 1912-16
advert produced for the Dutch East Indies (Indonesian) market. Note the influence of Art Nouveau with a style reminiscent of Alphonse Mucha.

drink_smoke_7.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy