Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage bags of a larger size

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I always seem to be dragging around the exact same old practical cheap Mulberry knockoff bag because a large vintage purse isn't easy to find. It's one of those things that I'm always looking for but never finding - like good skirts.

Being a student, I need a pretty large purse that can accommodate my (12") laptop, books and other necessities. Most vintage bags seem to be small handbags, the type you could use when you just go out shopping on a saturday, but really, even then it would be too small for someone like me. I like to carry around a lot of things.

So what I'd like to see here are examples of larger vintage bags, for inspiration. :)

How large a bag could a lady in the 30's carry around for everyday use? Were all the larger (and when I say larger, I mean the size that could accommodate a smaller laptop) bags back then travel bags?

Here is the largest vintage bag I own. It's not even large enough for my needs, but it's on the larger side anyway. I don't know much about bags, so I don't know when it's from, but I like the shape and the simplicity of the metalware (as opposed to many modern bags that, for my tastes, just have too much metal all over):

2369041172_2147a91f8b.jpg

2368205739_32ff9e4808.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Here are some large, well made bags from Duluth Pack that haven't changed much over the years:

Serengeti bag:
http://duluthpack.com/product_detail.aspx?product=Serengeti%20Deluxe%20Book%20Bag

Deluxe book bag:
http://duluthpack.com/product_detail.aspx?product=Book%20Bag%20-%20Deluxe

Excerpt from a review of the deluxe book bag:

I bought this bag back in 97 and used it for my years in grad school and after until 03. During this time I rode bike to work every day rain snow or shine. I overstuffed it with heavy books time and again. I used it to run errands all over town. When I cleaned up, I used it for travel to conferences and presentations, and for a few years after.

After several years, some of the trim started fraying from use. I sent it back and DP [the manufacturer] replaced the trim. At this point I still have and occasionally use my pack, but use something larger to go to work nowadays.​

I have a backpack that I've used for about five years; I cannot fit my lunch, books, wallet, etc. in a purse.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I have a large vintage fake leopard fur purse that is wider than I am. It's big enough that I've actually caught it in doorways if it's not turned sideways. I'll have to try to remember to take a picture of it.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I think this is a gorgeous larger bag. Unfortunately it's too expensive for me, but if anyone is interested, it's on Etsy. Simplicity above all, when it comes to bags! Look at that shape...

13" at widest part
7" tall at shortest height and 9" at tallest height
3" deep, from front to back

3314071157_dc7224b376.jpg

3314072589_d12faa4c8b.jpg

3314896328_603f958a11.jpg

3314897696_717e9ea5d7.jpg

3314898578_0b4af91764.jpg

KatieD

New in Town
Vintage handbags

Although I've had to resort to a modern bag for my laptop I use a smallish (12 by 7") 1950s bag for everyday and it's amazing what you can fit in it. It really is my mobile office:

blackberry
mini filofax organiser
purse/wallet
make up
big fob of keys
plus, if needed, a digital camera, sunglasses and sunscreen.

Really, what more do you need?

I was at the Goodwood Revival show last year where visitors are encouraged to wear period dress (1948-1964) and found it highly amusing that a lot of women were complaining about how to fit everything into vintage handbags - and their's were far larger than mine!

Katie

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
You could always look for a vintage 50s schoolboy bag. They are usually leather and are relatively easy to find on Ebay. It's a classic look and they're really nice and sturdy. I bought my ex one one year for Christmas.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
So what I'd like to see here are examples of larger vintage bags, for inspiration. :)

Laura, how about this original 1920s 'doctors bag'? I don't know if a lady in the 30s would have carried it around but it certainly does have a vintage feeling to it while being practical, and it looks like it can accomodate a laptop.

bag_0011_1.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You could also look for a vintage briefcase -- the one I use is actually Army surplus, from a design that's pretty much unchanged since WW2 --

luggage.jpg

Plenty big enough to carry a laptop along with books, papers, and other necessities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner